Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It's just hard to imagine a 4th or 5th coming down to a bidding war finalist. Like the difference can't be much in that scenario to wait it out. Seems like maybe we're dealing with which meh-mid prospect is added that they like.

Robertson and a pick for Wennberg retained makes a lot of sense. Hoping its a 3rd and not a 2nd, but I like the fit either way.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
We still don't have a top-6 RW. Not sure how far we'll go without that and with Kreider and with the BFF line playing like ass on 5V5.
When all is said and done, I think trying to find a top line RW is better left for the off season. Better to use the resources for a 3C and depth for the playoffs.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm assuming a trade is essentially done but won't be logged until after 5pm ET as it's the start of the next league day for cap purposes. Now who Wennberg will be dealt to i don't know

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Cbj overpay because no one wanted to stay in Cbj…
CBJ gambled on a young center coming of a 59 point season, and lost. That contract was bought out.

Seattle was a new expansion team that had cap space to burn and a need for any kind of talent.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Robertson and a pick for Wennberg retained makes a lot of sense. Hoping its a 3rd and not a 2nd, but I like the fit either way.

Holy overpayment Batman. Robertson is blah I’m fine with that but a 3rd or 2nd attached too? f*** no! Should be a 4th at most. Why are we overpaying for crap players

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
-Matthew Robertson, Karl Henriksson, 2025 4th rounder (Dallas) for Alex Wennberg (50% retention)
-Zac Jones, 2024 5th rounder to some team looking for youth for a 2nd round pick
-2024 2nd round pick, Noah Laba, BMB for Anthony Mantha (50% retention) and Nic Dowd
-6th or 7th rounder in a future year for a 7th defenseman costing 1m or less (not really sure who is out there)

Kreider Zibanejad Mantha
Panarin Trocheck Lafreniere
Cuylle Wennberg Kakko
Goodrow Dowd Vesey

black aces: Brodzinski, Edstrom, Rempe, Belzile, Pitlick, Othmann

Lindgren Fox
Miller Trouba
Gustafson Schneider
(7th D trade)

black aces: Mackey, Hallowell, Scanlin

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm assuming a trade is essentially done but won't be logged until after 5pm ET as it's the start of the next league day for cap purposes. Now who Wennberg will be dealt to i don't know
We're using LTIR, so it doesn't matter when we do it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Wennberg is an upgrade over Brodz for sure and he'll be a nice fit on that 3rd line as a role player. PK play is a bonus.

He's a pass first kinda guy. Still doesnt shoot enough, so hell fit right in with annoying us there.

In fact when Columbus brought in Panarin, it was Wennberg who Torts wanted to pair him with because of his vision and playmaking ability, to set up Panarin for shots. He was on his way to becoming a 1C kinda guy but that never really materialized for him.

Not a great faceoff percentage. 46% career. Yucky. But he can play a 200 ft game, as most Swedes do. He does a lot of little things. He doesnt take the body. 1.96 hits per 60. Thats an issue, especially in the playoffs. Cuylle on that line should help, but thats not ideal.

I feel like there aren't a ton of options at C that are realistic for Drury. Not really in love with Wennberg as the solution here.

Call me crazy but I don't think he'll cost a ton if he is dealt here. We may be surprised.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Thanks Vince! Just rephrasing what real insiders have said and saying it's from one of his "sources"
It's such a minor thing, but the way 'finalist' is used in hockey-speak is so stupid. There's no 'finalists' in a trade, you either pay the price the other team finds acceptable, or you don't get the player. There's no knockout round where you go head to head with another team to advance to the next stage.
Same as with all the awards, there's no 'Norris finalist', you just end up being one of the 3 players with the highest vote count...

TL/DR - NHL speak is dumb and Mike is rant-y today...

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
someone posted in here they have mutual friends with Buch and he does not want to come back here

This has got to be the case because you’d think we’d be linked and I don’t see us anywhere in the conversation. And I’m seeing STL would retain. If so it should be a no brainer number one target for Mika and Kreider.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Do the Rangers give up a 4th for double retention? $260K for a 4th round pick. The Rangers get Wennberg at $1.125M.

Why though? Wennberg is not the answer. He’s great defensively and is a black hole on offense. He really adds nothing except being a center. Why are we wasting assets on him and getting double retention on his ridiculous overpayment of a contract.

Reactions: bernmeister
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad