Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Wennberg is just a guy but they need a JAG center. Goodrow is a better LW and you can't keep playing Rempe/Edstrom 7 mins a game with no special teams time. Time to send one or both down.

Probably Rempe so he doesn't die on the ice.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
if we really wanna go for it, the move is

To ANA: Kakko

To NYR: Henrique and Vatrano

1) Realistically, for us, Kakko will always be a 3rd liner. Hes not better than Laff and Gabe looks very promising. Our RW top 6 is set for the next decade. Yes yes, I know that laff could always move back to LW.

2) Vatrano can provide the 1 year bridge in 24-25 season to allow gabe one more year in college before making the jump

3) Kakko is an RFA this summer, he likely wont want to sign a long term deal because he wants to prove hes worth more and can hit ufa at age 25 if he signs just a 2 year deal. If he signs a 2 year deal, we lose leverage. A 1 year deal puts him just 1 year from ufa when that expires and a long term deal would likely mean low aav which he doesnt want.

All in all, due to the aforementioned, I could see this happening

To ANA: Kakko

To NYR: Vatrano and Henrique with rico 50% retained

To NYR: Duclair
To SJS: 3rd that becomes a 2nd if we make conference finals

Kreider-Mika-Vatrano
Panarin-Trocheck-Laff
Cuylle-Henrique-Duclair
Vesey-Goodrow-Rempe
Rempe/Brodz

That lineup is nails
Hell nah

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
So, I don't mean this harshly but I just don't know how else to say it (lol) that means nothing to me. I haven't watched ANY of Seattle this year. Is that their first line?

I guess what kind of usage is he getting? If he is getting 3rd line minutes in Seattle then yeah there probably isn't much upside. But if he is getting top-6 minutes against top-6 competition, it could be worth the risk. Does that make sense?

Edit*

Is he really getting 1st line min?

View attachment 829222

2nd line center getting pp time, they won’t score much, but a Cuylle Wennberg Kakko line will spend a fair amount of time in the offensive zone.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Wennberg to 3C, Brodzinski to 4C. Rempe down
Not a huge fan of Wennberg, but he'd be an upgrade. He's a good skater too and those are the guys Kakko has had the most success with. Reunite Kakko and Cuylle with a better defensive center than Brodzinski and you have an all-situations line that can take some of that responsibility from Mika's line.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not a huge fan of Wennberg, but he'd be an upgrade. He's a good skater too and those are the guys Kakko has had the most success with. Reunite Kakko and Cuylle with a better defensive center than Brodzinski and you have an all-situations line that can take some of that responsibility from Mika's line.

Perhaps that's the best case scenario here. And I'm game for it, as long as the cost is pretty minimal. Again, he has a $4.5m cap hit. Unless Seattle is retaining a good chunk here, there aren't many contenders that can fit his contract in AND need a center.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Perhaps that's the best case scenario here. And I'm game for it, as long as the cost is pretty minimal. Again, he has a $4.5m cap hit. Unless Seattle is retaining a good chunk here, there aren't many contenders that can fit his contract in AND need a center.

I can't imagine we trade for him without them retaining half of the deal because it would really prevent them from even exploring any other moves for additional key players. If it's a late Friday trade and they haven't got anything else done, sure, but with a week in advance taking on the full hit doesn't seem like the best idea.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
$4.5M cap hit for Wennberg.

Someone Francis was looking to buildup the prospect pool in Seattle. I think it was EF or Marek. Last week. Robertson?

EF said Seattle has been asked about their D. Borgen. Signed for next season. Schultz. Free agent. Seattle moves a D and they have Robertson for next season.

BMCB? Francis is a Sault Ste. Marie guy.

Interesting that Wennberg is the only scratch. Unless Seattle is planning to sign Schultz, Wennberg trade must be close.

Reactions: Vitto79

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I really don't hate the idea of Pacioretty if he can slide over to RW. Cost should be minimal and I would imagine Washington will be selling. Throw him on the opposite side of Kreider with Zibanejad

Reactions: mas0764 and RGY

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I can't imagine we trade for him without them retaining half of the deal because it would really prevent them from even exploring any other moves for additional key players. If it's a late Friday trade and they haven't got anything else done, sure, but with a week in advance taking on the full hit doesn't seem like the best idea.

That's not to say that it wouldn't be nice for them to retain some, but as I pointed out a couple of pages back, the team could have ~$6.8m in cap space to use as they see fit. If getting Wennberg @ $4.5m means only trading Henriksson + 5th I'd prefer that. They would still have cap space to make an additional trade as needed

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Elliotte said the Ducks wants more vets to help bring along their kids. Give them Goodrow and a 2nd for Henrique without retention.
Goodrow deal retained 1.6x down to 2.0
do not add a 2nd
try to get better return than Henr.

I don't disagree with this, but are we then okay pushing Edstrom back to the AHL? Same with Rempe?
NO

I don't see Rempe playing many playoff games this year, Edstrom maybe but that might even be a stretch. Not saying i like it but its just what i see happening.
there is ZERO intellectual basis to go there. zero.
youth + energy + intensity and you want to just get rid f that?
why?
so also, no

Tuch and Wennberg! Get it done lol (Kakko traded as part of the Tuch trade)

Kreider - Zib - Tuch
Panarin - Trocheck - Laff
Cuylle - Wennberg - Vesey
Goodrow - Brodz - Edstrom
NO

Wennberg is just a guy but they need a JAG center. Goodrow is a better LW and you can't keep playing Rempe/Edstrom 7 mins a game with no special teams time. Time to send one or both down.

Probably Rempe so he doesn't die on the ice.
no
play their line mo mins

Wennberg to 3C, Brodzinski to 4C. Rempe down
no

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I wait the whole pod for him to get to the Rangers and within 10 seconds it's abundantly clear he has ZERO intel on the Rangers outside of the obvious stuff everyone knows.

He literally just started listing players who were on the Rangers from 2020-22 lol that's how you know he has nothing.
Considering how close to vest Drury keeps things, you should not be surprised.

Reactions: tiggles

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That's not to say that it wouldn't be nice for them to retain some, but as I pointed out a couple of pages back, the team could have ~$6.8m in cap space to use as they see fit. If getting Wennberg @ $4.5m means only trading Henriksson + 5th I'd prefer that. They would still have cap space to make an additional trade as needed

It's not going to be that cheap right now because if it was there would be zero reason for SEA to make that move before Friday. You don't need to hold a player out of the lineup to protect him because of a potential 5th round pick and a non-prospect.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I really don't hate the idea of Pacioretty if he can slide over to RW. Cost should be minimal and I would imagine Washington will be selling. Throw him on the opposite side of Kreider with Zibanejad
He was a Rangers fan growing up and he has a full NMC. If he forces a trade to the Rangers and we get him cheap, I'd be ok with that. He can't possibly be worse than any of the other low-cost options available to put with Zib and Kreider (i.e.: Duclair).

Reactions: NYR Viper

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Robertson + 3rd for Wennberg 50% retained.

Does Wennberg’s card look better in the 3C checking role? Slightly reduced minutes from what he is getting now? He can carry the puck. Have Cuylle and Kakko shoot the puck.

Sucks it wont be Gourde but this is a better alternative than Henrique who hasn’t been playing Center or the other options remaining.

May be no coincidence this comes out as Novak signs an extension today

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He was a Rangers fan growing up and he has a full NMC. If he forces a trade to the Rangers and we get him cheap, I'd be ok with that. He can't possibly be worse than any of the other low-cost options available to put with Zib and Kreider (i.e.: Duclair).

That's kind of my thought as well. That and his cap hit is minimal @ $2m

Robertson + 3rd for Wennberg 50% retained.

Does Wennberg’s card look better in the 3C checking role? Slightly reduced minutes from what he is getting now? He can carry the puck. Have Cuylle and Kakko shoot the puck.

Sucks it wont be Gourde but this is a better alternative than Henrique who hasn’t been playing Center or the other options remaining.

May be no coincidence this comes out as Novak signs an extension today

I'd like to see perhaps Robertson + 4th (The Rangers don't have a 3rd this year)

Seatlle probably has seen Robertson quite a bit as he played for the Edmonton Oil KIngs in the WHL and the blueprint for them on the back end is clearly big guys with long reaches. Robertson fits that bill.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Chris dreary has shown to like and thrive on bargain bin hunting. In Lou we trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad