Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
wennberg isn't garbage but he's not really good either and i'd almost rather just play brodzinski
What is his usage though? I'm genuinely asking, I don't have access to a lot of charts.

Is he playing top 6 min in CBJ where he would be playing a 3rd line role here against weaker competition and may flourish a bit?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
wennberg isn't garbage but he's not really good either and i'd almost rather just play brodzinski
I think he's actually a good fit for Kakko. In terms of transporting the puck up ice he's really good. Would be a good defensive line and at least hold onto the puck in the offensive zone.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
8hypyq.jpg

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
What is his usage though? I'm genuinely asking, I don't have access to a lot of charts.

Is he playing top 6 min in CBJ where he would be playing a 3rd line role here against weaker competition and may flourish a bit?

Has been with Schwartz and Bjorkstrand, they have good underlying numbers together.

Also has a bunch of time with Tanev, which have been awful, but Tanev is atrocious so hard to blame Wennberg.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I don't think there's anything we can realistically do at the deadline other than add depth. Troch is with Bread and Mika is Mika. If they don't split 20 and 93 up, that RW won't fix anything regardless of who we add. Just add tons of Wennberg level players for 2nd and 3rd and whatever prospects and go from there and see if that will create a better mix on the ice between 20,93,24 and whoever is on our 3rd line.

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The issue with Wennberg is that he refuses to shoot the puck. He can transport the puck and he has good speed in general so in that sense, playing with Cuylle and Kakko, that may work. Defensively, he is pretty good as well.

I can see people getting frustrated with him though as he doesn't shoot enough. He's pretty consistently around 1.3-1.4 p/60 @ 5v5 which isn't great but isn't horrible.

He wouldn't be a bad choice if the cost is low.

As an aside, he wouldn't be a TERRIBLE option to be kept as a 3C moving forward either. He probably won't cost much towards the cap and he won't be looking for a long-term deal. Maybe 2 years @ $2-2,5m or something like that.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Has been with Schwartz and Bjorkstrand, they have good underlying numbers together.

Also has a bunch of time with Tanev, which have been awful, but Tanev is atrocious so hard to blame Wennberg.
So, I don't mean this harshly but I just don't know how else to say it (lol) that means nothing to me. I haven't watched ANY of Seattle this year. Is that their first line?

I guess what kind of usage is he getting? If he is getting 3rd line minutes in Seattle then yeah there probably isn't much upside. But if he is getting top-6 minutes against top-6 competition, it could be worth the risk. Does that make sense?

Edit*

Is he really getting 1st line min?

1709581076013.png

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So, I don't mean this harshly but I just don't know how else to say it (lol) that means nothing to me. I haven't watched a ton of CBJ this year. Is that their first line?

I guess what kind of usage is he getting? If he is getting 3rd line minutes in CBJ then yeah there probably isn't much upside. But if he is getting top-6 minutes against top-6 competition, it could be worth the risk. Does that make sense?

He's playing top-6 with skilled players. The issue is, will he flourish in a more sheltered 3rd line role? Or will his numbers stay consistent and his numbers crater with less TOI and less skilled line mates?

That's really the question

Also, Wennberg makes $4.5m on the cap so unless Seattle is retaining at least a decent chunk of that, not many teams can add that on. The Rangers can...

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He's playing top-6 with skilled players. The issue is, will he flourish in a more sheltered 3rd line role? Or will his numbers stay consistent and his numbers crater with less TOI and less skilled line mates?

That's really the question

Also, Wennberg makes $4.5m on the cap so unless Seattle is retaining at least a decent chunk of that, not many teams can add that on. The Rangers can...
Here is how little I know about him, I thought he was still with Columbus LOL.

Reactions: NYR Viper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad