Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

The Rangers are a stubborn group.

The Stars had this issue with Benn and Seguin. In the summer of 2022, Marchment was signed by the Stars and he plays with Seguin. Johnston made the Stars as a 19 year old and Benn has been stapled to him for the last two seasons. The Stars lost in the WCF to Vegas last season. The Stars brought in Duchene after the Nashville buyout and he plays with Seguin and Marchment. The Stars are winning the Cup this season.
"Keeping 'em together. They want to help out more. They've done it in the past. They'll find their way"

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, I don’t like looking like I’m running down Zegras. I actually like him and if the price was right, buying low, I’d love NYR to snag him.
However, everything I said above holds. It doesn’t only matter what Zegras was able to do in ANA with the opportunities given him, it also matters, MORE in fact, what he’s going to actually add to this team without being given those same opportunities due to him being lower on the totem pole.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
30. New York Rangers: I butchered something on the podcast I wanted to correct here. Chris Drury’s two deadlines are dramatically different. In 2022, he made four deadline deals, adding Vatrano a few days beforehand. Last year, he took massive swings with Tarasenko and Patrick Kane. Once again, they’ve got a really good team, with holes created by injury. They liked Tommy Novak, who will be staying in Nashville. They asked about Alex Tuch, and they’ve considered Vatrano. Do they pay Anaheim’s high ask for him? He’s got another year at $3.65M.

How about Kakko for Tuch? Do we need to add?

Yes, a lot.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Trading 23 year old Kakko, who at minimum is a 3rd line player who can drive possession and play quality defense, for 2 years of 30 year old Frank Vatrano and 1 year of 34 year old Adam Henrique is quite possibly the most asinine thing you can do.
I'm not as high on KK as you are but I completely agree

Reactions: bhamill and RGY

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Why is Buffalo trading their captain and a guy who is from that area? I don't buy that one at all
Their captain is Okposo and he is a UFA. They're not making the playoffs, why would they hold onto him?

As for Tuch, Friedman alluded earlier in the article (in Buffalo's section) that Adams is looking to shake up the core and make a hockey move. Said the Rangers and Bruins are asking about Tuch

Reactions: Rangers in 7

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Tuch would be a great add but its not happening. Buffalo is dumb, but they like him and he's good. No reason for them to move on.

Novak would have been a tremendous add.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Zegras put up more 5v5 points then Kakko playing against other teams top lines/d cause Anahiem had no one else the other team had to worry about. Kakko put up 37 last year against the leftovers of every team. Zegras had 48. I'd take Zegras. Especially since we have a lot of wingers and Zegras can play center. Berard, Othmann, Perreault, Cuylle, Laf. That's a lot and not even counting Edstrom who has played well on the 4th line already and someone like Lamb, who is a long shot, but yet another winger.

This won't happen though. Drury has made a lot of rental trades, but he hasn't made many hockey trades.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Not homerism, just reality. Again, without PP1 which he wouldn’t be getting here, Zegras best year was 48 points. Kakko’s best year without PP1 was 40 points. People clamoring for Zegras just completely ignore the circumstances. His numbers don’t translate to the circumstances of this team. Period.
It’s not homerism to choose the, by five country miles, better rounded player who scored 0.09 points less per game minus all the PP1 points.
If our circumstances were such that we were desperate for PP scoring then I could see the case for making the trade, but we don’t need that. Zegras would be a 3C here, get no PP1, and probably not get 50 points. Or they could put him on 2RW with Zibs and hope that works out. And we would still need a 3C.
No thanks.
We simply have different ideas about what Kakko's ceiling is. I'd be shocked if he ever cracks 50 points. He hasn't shown an ability to produce when he plays above line 3, nor is he getting PP time because he hasn't earned it. I stated earlier in the thread that he needs to considerably improve his skating & he's needs a sports psychologist. Simply working out with Rantanen in the summers isn't cutting it.

Again I'm not a Zegras guy, because I don't think he brings what we're lacking here, but it would be dishonest to believe he won't add some size to his frame & improve more as time passes. Who says he can't learn to be more defensively responsible & learn to play a 200 ft game? Regardless, if the Ducks called & offered that deal (which they won't straight up), I'm jumping on it. His ceiling looks infinitely higher than KKs at the moment.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Their captain is Okposo and he is a UFA. They're not making the playoffs, why would they hold onto him?

As for Tuch, Friedman alluded earlier in the article (in Buffalo's section) that Adams is looking to shake up the core and make a hockey move. Said the Rangers and Bruins are asking about Tuch
Friedman threw a lot of names out there but no substance so he has no idea. Blackwell? Rooney? Yea ok.

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think the pundits are just throwing anything and everything at the wall to see what will stick. The 2 big pieces at forward moved weeks ago. It's all essentially depth players with no big names that are likely available.

Trying to drum up interest in a TDL that will probably be pretty quiet.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Well yea, and Buffalo wouldn't even consider it. That's a top rental price for a guy who is 1st line wing signed extremely cheaply for another two years.
i didnt say buffalo would do it lol

if buffalo is looking to shake it up id look at

othmann, laba, 1st and a conditional if we make the cup that a future 2nd becomes a first

i mean tuch is only 27, hes got at least 5 to 6 years and plays a fast game

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If we look seriously at the lineup at forward, say the Rangers can acquire a RW who fits with Kreider and Zibanejad, that pushes Vesey down and Rempe likely out of the lineup. The 4th line would then be Vesey-Goodrow-Edstrom.

People want an upgrade at 3C, which I get somewhat but if that happens do you take Brodzinski out of the lineup? Do you push him down and play him with Goodrow and Vesey as his wingers?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
We simply have different ideas about what Kakko's ceiling is. I'd be shocked if he ever cracks 50 points. He hasn't shown an ability to produce when he plays above line 3, nor is he getting PP time because he hasn't earned it. I stated earlier in the thread that he needs to considerably improve his skating & he's needs a sports psychologist. Simply working out with Rantanen in the summers isn't cutting it.

Again I'm not a Zegras guy, because I don't think he brings what we're lacking here, but it would be dishonest to believe he won't add some size to his frame & improve more as time passes. Who says he can't learn to be more defensively responsible & learn to play a 200 ft game? Regardless, if the Ducks called & offered that deal (which they won't straight up), I'm jumping on it. His ceiling looks infinitely higher than KKs at the moment.
Nobody seems to be mentioning the all important contract that comes along with this overrated and 1 dimensional player. 5.75 mil is alot to pay a 3rd line center and what if Chytil comes back next year.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Some teams are expecting a quieter than normal deadline. Buyers don't have a lot of draft capital left. Some teams don't have cap space. Some teams don't want to trade some of their best prospects. Some teams have no players worth trading for like the Sharks.

20:50 is when those comments were made

The Ducks want a ton for Vatrano. Anaheim is leery of having too many young players on their teams. EF believes Verbeek may look to add veteran players to his young group. Teams ask about Gudas and Anaheim said no.

Kevin Rooney. Colin Blackwell. Kyle Okposo. Tyler Johnson. Rangers.

The Rangers liked Tommy Novak. Nashville is signing him. He was the Rangers guy.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

I mean, this is fair. Hope for Zegras’ sake he commits (if he hasn’t already, these things can take time) to getting sturdier and stronger, and commits to learning the 200 foot game. I think he’s still a project, he’s shown tremendous skill, and he seems like a good kid.
I’ll just leave it at that.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Nobody seems to be mentioning the all important contract that comes along with this overrated and 1 dimensional player. 5.75 mil is alot to pay a 3rd line center and what if Chytil comes back next year.
i mean the cap goes up next season, people forget this thing happens

trade goodrow hes got a 3.6 mill cap hit....zegras is soo one dimensional he put up over 60 points last year, man id hate to have that on our team going forward

zegras is 22 not 29 i mean come on people

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Also true. Kakko’s QO is 2.4 million.

Reactions: RGY

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

EF said the Ducks want Zegras to pay more attention to playing a two way game and they want him to work out more. Hit the gym. Lift some weights.

Reactions: bhamill

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
That's a giant if. Fitting Zegras' salary wouldn't be an issue regardless. You'll be removing KK, who would be making around $3M.

Again for those who aren't following closely, I really don't want Zegras....but if this trade is presented, I'm all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad