Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Dubas has to sell asap. He should be selling the important parts too. That franchise is toast.

I was just coming to post this. Lars Eller come on down. Signed for next year. Low-key physical player who skates well. Good on faceoffs. He’d be perfect honestly because he’d also provide depth for next year. Add Eller and then get a couple of very low cost additions on RW and defense. Find guys overpaid with little markets to add depth.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I was just coming to post this. Lars Eller come on down. Signed for next year. Low-key physical player who skates well. Good on faceoffs. He’d be perfect honestly because he’d also provide depth for next year. Add Eller and then get a couple of very low cost additions on RW and defense. Find guys overpaid with little markets to add depth.
I'd love Eller between Cuylle & Kakko. Shouldn't cost more than a 3rd.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
I'm shocked the Erik Karlsson trade didn't work out and pretty much served no purpose lol
Signed for 3 more years at a 11.5 million cap hit. My goodness. Let's not forget their first round pick which looks more and more like it will be a very good one.
I'm glad the "genius" Dubas is steering that ship in Pittsburgh. He's not too far behind the other genius Chayka who pretty much destroyed the Coyotes.
Dubas’s track record is disgustingly bad. I’m shocked that people keep paying him.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Has anyone honestly seen Eller play more than a handful of games this year?
Are we sure he's not cooked? He's played 103 playoff games and has some serious miles on his 34/35 year old body.

Reactions: bernmeister

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Are we sure he's not cooked? He's played 103 playoff games and has some serious miles on his 34/35 year old body.
I'd be cised for Larry but I get cised for any Junkies weekly.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I wanted Eller last deadline, but he'd be a very good add. He's what you'd want Goodrow to be. Laviolette had him too. He'd slot in perfectly on the 3rd line

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I dunno, i think we need someone better than Eller. Look at the competitons 3rd line c's...Lundell, Taveres, Paul, Staal..etc. i mean ya he's probably better than Brodzinski but I'm not sure by how much at this point

Reactions: bernmeister

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I wanted Eller last deadline, but he'd be a very good add. He's what you'd want Goodrow to be. Laviolette had him too. He'd slot in perfectly on the 3rd line
Rather go after Mantha. He is familiar with Laviolette. Brings size grit and skil. Eller maybe 5 years ago. He seems injury prone lately and at his age no thanks

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Rather go after Mantha. He is familiar with Laviolette. Brings size grit and skil. Eller maybe 5 years ago. He seems injury prone lately and at his age no thanks
Mantha is a poor man’s Pierre Luc Dubois. People get on Kreider for his disappearing acts, oof they would hate Mantha really fast.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Compared to recent years, this is a real slow moving trade market. Once the top two centers were moved, the market seems to have froze up. There are a lot of teams waiting as long as possible to make their buy/sell decisions. Thursday and Friday will be crazy.

For sure but gotta think more sellers are evident . Pens, Devils and Caps would be stupid not too

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko: 1.46 GF/60
Kreider-Zibanejad-Anybody else: 3.79 GF/60
Anybody else???? Isolate Kreider - Zibanejad with anyone but Wheeler or Panarin and what do you get? Yeah same futility as what you showed for Kakko.

Or how about comparing Kakko with Chytil last season scoring per 60 to this 1.46 with Bros this season? I’m sure it will also closely match Lafreniere’s with Chytil. Seems the problem is not having Chytil (and Wheeler for Zibanejad).

Reactions: IDvsEGO

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Vince says the Rangers are looking for a beefy D. I sent him a few messages on twitter over the last months and he said D isn't an area of concern. What team is he watching?

Bowen Byram

What is happening here?

Kakko to the Avs for Byram and the Rangers send Byram to a third team

Kakko went 2nd and Byram went 4th in 2019.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm shocked the Erik Karlsson trade didn't work out and pretty much served no purpose lol
Signed for 3 more years at a 11.5 million cap hit. My goodness. Let's not forget their first round pick which looks more and more like it will be a very good one.
I'm glad the "genius" Dubas is steering that ship in Pittsburgh. He's not too far behind the other genius Chayka who pretty much destroyed the Coyotes.

Everyone was questioning that move as I recall. It made (and makes) no sense.

Reactions: bl02

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The Rangers are a stubborn group.

The Stars had this issue with Benn and Seguin. In the summer of 2022, Marchment was signed by the Stars and he plays with Seguin. Johnston made the Stars as a 19 year old and Benn has been stapled to him for the last two seasons. The Stars lost in the WCF to Vegas last season. The Stars brought in Duchene after the Nashville buyout and he plays with Seguin and Marchment. The Stars are winning the Cup this season.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Everyone was questioning that move as I recall. It made (and makes) no sense.
That pick is top 10 protected this season. You could see Pittsburgh keeping the pick for 2024 and the 2025 pick is a top 5 pick. The Karlsson trade from Ottawa to San Jose saw the Senators take Stutzle at #3 in 2020.

Eller looks cooked.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Zegras? Other teams will be interested. The Canadiens are very interested. Eric Engels from Sportsnet covers the Habs. Marek had Engels on his show last Friday. The Habs interest in Zegras is real. I watch Arpon Basu's podcast on YouTube. Zegras is the guy Montreal wants. The Habs have extra first round picks. Young players. How are the Rangers competing with them and other teams for Zegras? Drury will blow out his remaining draft picks this week on rentals. The Rangers don't have many young players in their system. How are the Rangers acquiring Zegras???

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
I don't see much point to adding a defenseman that can't be trusted to play important minutes in the playoffs.

If the argument is that Gus and Lindgren are both playing at a 3rd pairing level, the only advantage is if you get a guy measurably better than both. I don't see that on the table.

Just sort of have to hope one of the two can step up in the playoffs. Why was Lindgren-Gus competent when Fox was injured but now each have declined since?

Another Mikkola doesn't help us much unless someone gets injured.
Players get injured in the playoffs pretty much every year on every team.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Zegras? Other teams will be interested. The Canadiens are very interested. Eric Engels from Sportsnet covers the Habs. Marek had Engels on his show last Friday. The Habs interest in Zegras is real. I watch Arpon Basu's podcast on YouTube. Zegras is the guy Montreal wants. The Habs have extra first round picks. Young players. How are the Rangers competing with them and other teams for Zegras? Drury will blow out his remaining draft picks this week on rentals. The Rangers don't have many young players in their system. How are the Rangers acquiring Zegras???

The most reputable source on the matter (Lebrun) says that the Ducks haven't offered him to anyone and aren't doing more than listening. I really don't see a deal coming together at a point where Zegras isn't even healthy enough to play. It's not worth getting hung up on at a time where so many other deals are a possible reality right now. Really don't see Zegras moving anytime soon unless for the off chance that something comes together for another young potential elite player like the Drysdale/Gauthier deal, and how often do we see trades like that?

The Habs having extra late 1sts and prospects isn't giving them a leg up on anyone, Anaheim has less than zero reason to move Zegras for a package of lesser assets. He's not going anywhere unless a young potential elite player is put on the table that Verbeek happens to like more, that's really the sole reason for bothering to take calls on him.

That useless fat Seravelli started this whole thing with baseless speculation, he has no sources in Anaheim. This is the dude that fully declared Gibson had played his last game as a Duck, he's pulling this stuff out of his ass. He saw that the Ducks had moved Zegras little buddy Drysdale, and knows his name will generate buzz and clicks. Likely nothing more than that to go on.

Zegras has a ton of value to Anaheim even besides his on ice talent. He's their most marketable young star in many years, for a team that struggles to maintain a share of its bloated sports market. They need him a lot more than they need a package of picks and prospects.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What's the purpose of this?
Byram would have more value around the NHL as a D. Every team is looking for D. It seems Byram has hit a wall in Colorado. Their GM Chris MacFarland was following the Rangers around a few weeks ago. It's the same management team in Colorado. Sakic was the GM. MacFarland was the AGM. Now Super Joe is president of hockey ops and MacFarland is the GM. They scouted Kakko that season. Kakko and Byram went two picks apart from each other. The Avs have Rantanen and Lehkonen. The Avs front office says the two Finns can get Kakko on track. They will have a very good player on their hands and they need more forward depth. The Rangers can move Bryam to another team for a LD, C or RW. The Rangers send Goodrow to Colorado in the deal. Kakko will never be the player everyone expected him to be barely playing. He is bounced from the third line to the "first" line. He isn't used the PK. You would think the Rangers would try to get him more minutes somewhere. He is barely used on the PP. He isn't used in OT.

The most reputable source on the matter (Lebrun) says that the Ducks haven't offered him to anyone and aren't doing more than listening. I really don't see a deal coming together at a point where Zegras isn't even healthy enough to play. It's not worth getting hung up on at a time where so many other deals are a possible reality right now. Really don't see Zegras moving anytime soon unless for the off chance that something comes together for another young potential elite player like the Drysdale/Gauthier deal, and how often do we see trades like that?

The Habs having extra late 1sts and prospects isn't giving them a leg up on anyone, Anaheim has less than zero reason to move Zegras for a package of lesser assets. He's not going anywhere unless a young potential elite player is put on the table that Verbeek happens to like more, that's really the sole reason for bothering to take calls on him.

That useless fat Seravelli started this whole thing with baseless speculation, he has no sources in Anaheim. This is the dude that fully declared Gibson had played his last game as a Duck, he's pulling this stuff out of his ass. He saw that the Ducks had moved Zegras little buddy Drysdale, and knows his name will generate buzz and clicks. Likely nothing more than that to go on.

Zegras has a ton of value to Anaheim even besides his on ice talent. He's their most marketable young star in many years, for a team that struggles to maintain a share of its bloated sports market. They need him a lot more than they need a package of picks and prospects.
The Habs might be willing to move their pick in a deal. Not the Jets pick. The draft is loaded with D and the Habs don't need another D. Moving up from where the Habs are expected to pick to the top 2-3 is very expensive. So Zegras is their target.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Listen to Bern, don't trade youth for vets.

Seriously though, I really would rather not trade Kakko. He's still young and did put up 40 mostly 5v5 pts last year. He may never live up to the expectations of a 2OA but still can be/is a solid 3rd liner with upside without a big cap hit.

Unless there's a massive change to the cap rules, you can't just keep splurging on expensive FAs. You need cheap youth to contribute or you're stuck with a team that has no depth because you blew all the $ on expensive vets.

I agree in principle with a lot of what Bern says but don't understand why so much love for Zegras and Sanderson in hypothetical trades. I would be curious if Bern would trade youth for McDavid though.
The idea here is that kakko will be replaced with youth in Gabe Perrault. Vatrano just serves as a 1 year stop gap until that time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad