Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Byram would have more value around the NHL as a D. Every team is looking for D. It seems Byram has hit a wall in Colorado. Their GM Chris MacFarland was following the Rangers around a few weeks ago. It's the same management team in Colorado. Sakic was the GM. MacFarland was the AGM. Now Super Joe is president of hockey ops and MacFarland is the GM. They scouted Kakko that season. Kakko and Byram went two picks apart from each other. The Avs have Rantanen and Lehkonen. The Avs front office says the two Finns can get Kakko on track. They will have a very good player on their hands and they need more forward depth. The Rangers can move Bryam to another team for a LD, C or RW. The Rangers send Goodrow to Colorado in the deal. Kakko will never be the player everyone expected him to be barely playing. He is bounced from the third line to the "first" line. He isn't used the PK. You would think the Rangers would try to get him more minutes somewhere. He is barely used on the PP. He isn't used in OT.
I can't see Colorado doing a swap of Byram and Kakko and taking Goodrow back, especially if, as you say, Byram would have more value around the NHL.

Are we trading Byram for a rental in that scenario? We'll need to add 2 RWs, one to play with Kreider and Zib and another to replace Kakko.

The idea here is that kakko will be replaced with youth in Gabe Perrault. Vatrano just serves as a 1 year stop gap until that time
Gabe is 2 years away from the NHL, and that assumes he will be a impact player in the NHL. We thought the same thing about Kakko and look where we are now.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Byram would have more value around the NHL as a D. Every team is looking for D. It seems Byram has hit a wall in Colorado. Their GM Chris MacFarland was following the Rangers around a few weeks ago. It's the same management team in Colorado. Sakic was the GM. MacFarland was the AGM. Now Super Joe is president of hockey ops and MacFarland is the GM. They scouted Kakko that season. Kakko and Byram went two picks apart from each other. The Avs have Rantanen and Lehkonen. The Avs front office says the two Finns can get Kakko on track. They will have a very good player on their hands and they need more forward depth. The Rangers can move Bryam to another team for a LD, C or RW. The Rangers send Goodrow to Colorado in the deal. Kakko will never be the player everyone expected him to be barely playing. He is bounced from the third line to the "first" line. He isn't used the PK. You would think the Rangers would try to get him more minutes somewhere. He is barely used on the PP. He isn't used in OT.

The Habs might be willing to move their pick in a deal. Not the Jets pick. The draft is loaded with D and the Habs don't need another D. Moving up from where the Habs are expected to pick to the top 2-3 is very expensive. So Zegras is their target.

The draft would be the earliest I'd possibly see it happening, but even then it has to make sense based on who the Ducks end up picking and how that balances with their current young core.

If fate has them landing Celebrini, then maybe they shop Zegras to try and land a potential young stud D - because at that point they are way heavier with young F than D.

Reactions: bernmeister

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Trading 23 year old Kakko, who at minimum is a 3rd line player who can drive possession and play quality defense, for 2 years of 30 year old Frank Vatrano and 1 year of 34 year old Adam Henrique is quite possibly the most asinine thing you can do.
This is basically Buch 2.0. Sure hopefully in a few years nyr will have gabe fit in. Then they’ll be spending assets at every deadline to find a 3rw. Who knows if othmann can switch to rw full time esp when he’s been avg at best at 5v5 in Hartford. Sykora is still years away and as much as I like berard he feels like a trade chip for dru(which I hope I’m wrong). You add to kk being on this team not trade him then keep trying to find stop gaps. Also stop trading for guys with career years at 30 who are bound to come back to earth w/o pp time. Vat has only 4 more goals than kk at 5v5, while playing 20 more games and getting more avg ice time at 5v5

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Trying to get these important questions ready for Friday.

Who is the first poster to write" I'm done rooting for this abomination of an organization" ?

Who is the first to write " FU DRURY!!!!!" ?

Who is the first to have an absolute meltdown over the trading of our 7th best rated prospect?

You can feel some posters ready, chomping at the bit to blast Drury, no matter what he does. Or doesn't do. Anyway,

Who will the Olsen twins have on their RW on Saturday?

Gonna be fun. Buckle up, and remember that the only opinion in the end for the NYRs that really matters ....

Won't be yours.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
All 4 of our current centers are 30 or over. This may have to be addressed this off season or next. Hopefully Chytil can come back but I want him to put his long term health first.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ

Having Gabe surge up the prospect ranks with the very real possibility he could develop into a game breaking talent at the NHL level, for me, is even more the reason to hold onto Kakko who will not only continue to develop into a strong 200 ft player that likely will be best suited for a 2nd or 3rd line role - but be cost controlled within that role as well.
Agree and if he were to get traded it should be for a player in the same age bracket that fills a need.

Are the Rangers winning the Cup this season with Vatrano and Henrique?

If Kakko gets traded maybe the better move would be packaging him with someone like Lindgren for a young defenseman.

If Anaheim isn't moving Zegras I don't see a point in moving Kakko. None of these rentals move the needle. They don't put the Rangers over the top. I'm not sure why they haven't learned from the last few seasons these rental moves don't work.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Who is the first to have an absolute meltdown over the trading of our 7th best rated prospect?
That would be me. LOL

Based on the prospect polls, Jones was #7. He's basically the ONLY prospect I'd have on the table.

Right around him is Berard, Garand, Edstrom, Fortescue. I want to keep all 4 in the system. Edstrom is close to being a regular in a depth role. Berard is turning into a menace, sort of like Troch but on the wing. Garand is poised to be "the guy" in HFD next season, and then take over for Quick the following season. Fortescue is all we have in the system on D (slight exaggeration). I'd be pissed to lose any of those 4.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Zegras? Other teams will be interested. The Canadiens are very interested. Eric Engels from Sportsnet covers the Habs. Marek had Engels on his show last Friday. The Habs interest in Zegras is real. I watch Arpon Basu's podcast on YouTube. Zegras is the guy Montreal wants. The Habs have extra first round picks. Young players. How are the Rangers competing with them and other teams for Zegras? Drury will blow out his remaining draft picks this week on rentals. The Rangers don't have many young players in their system. How are the Rangers acquiring Zegras???
They don't? They have Kakko, Edstrom, Rempe, Jones, Othmann, Sykora, Berard, BMB, Perrault, Fortescue etc... Not that I'm a big fan of Zegras but they can get it done if they want. He also played only 20 games this year, doesn't play a lick of defense, and makes 5.75 million for the next 2 years so don't make it seem like other teams are lining up to trade assets and picks for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhamill

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Lars Eller is the guy.

21 points in 59 games
15 points @ 5v5
54.1 FO %
+0.1 CF rel

He makes $2.425m this year and next. He's 34 years old, will be 35 next year.

He's a pretty decent 3rd line center and he has always been a good 2-way center. He has loads of playoff experience and he plays a simple game with his skating.

He's not going to cost much with another year on his deal and Pittsburgh is likely going to be heading into this off-season looking to shake things up, for which, they need cap space.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
if we really wanna go for it, the move is

To ANA: Kakko

To NYR: Henrique and Vatrano

1) Realistically, for us, Kakko will always be a 3rd liner. Hes not better than Laff and Gabe looks very promising. Our RW top 6 is set for the next decade. Yes yes, I know that laff could always move back to LW.

2) Vatrano can provide the 1 year bridge in 24-25 season to allow gabe one more year in college before making the jump

3) Kakko is an RFA this summer, he likely wont want to sign a long term deal because he wants to prove hes worth more and can hit ufa at age 25 if he signs just a 2 year deal. If he signs a 2 year deal, we lose leverage. A 1 year deal puts him just 1 year from ufa when that expires and a long term deal would likely mean low aav which he doesnt want.

All in all, due to the aforementioned, I could see this happening

To ANA: Kakko

To NYR: Vatrano and Henrique with rico 50% retained

To NYR: Duclair
To SJS: 3rd that becomes a 2nd if we make conference finals

Kreider-Mika-Vatrano
Panarin-Trocheck-Laff
Cuylle-Henrique-Duclair
Vesey-Goodrow-Rempe
Rempe/Brodz

That lineup is nails
NO x 2

Listen to Bern, don't trade youth for vets.

Seriously though, I really would rather not trade Kakko. He's still young and did put up 40 mostly 5v5 pts last year. He may never live up to the expectations of a 2OA but still can be/is a solid 3rd liner with upside without a big cap hit.

Unless there's a massive change to the cap rules, you can't just keep splurging on expensive FAs. You need cheap youth to contribute or you're stuck with a team that has no depth because you blew all the $ on expensive vets.

I agree in principle with a lot of what Bern says but don't understand why so much love for Zegras and Sanderson in hypothetical trades. I would be curious if Bern would trade youth for McDavid though.
1. Thanks for acknowledging the bern mantra, glad it is gettinng thru

2. Zegras
consider a base of Othmann + Berard ++ for Z +* not to be excessive loe-> overpayment.
We need an offensively gifted pivot more than we need an offensively gifted W. It is youth for youth, so ok there.
(* I think we can all put our heads together and see if we can come up with the optimal final version of this. Extra credit if you do full analysis and show all work!)

3. Sanderson
This guy early 20s 8 yrs starting next season takes to end of 20s, so prime, prime years. 8-ish m per a tad pricey now but cheap by end of term.
This is THE guy to 1LD match/pair w/Fox now, and if AF slows down and goes to 2RD and a more physically gifted guy (can we get Reinbacher from MON?) moves up to 1RD, Sandy remains our 1LD rock.
Unfortunately, does not look like he can be gotten, but keep at it.

4. Youth for McDavid
We do not deal youth for objective, intelligent reason. Youth = cheap production which -> impacts salary flexibility -> cap control.
That is the rule.
Exception?

- Is McD fully healthy?
- what is his age when this takes place?
- how long is he under contract?
- how likely is he to be a happy camper and put out most nights?
- how gutted is the team by acquiring him?

These ^ need to be known first.
Conceptually McD could be n exception to the rule.

When your only / best options are Cuylle with Zibanejad and Kreider with Brodzinski - yup.
OR
we could try Edstrom as pivot betw Kreid + Zib as Ws.

The Habs might be willing to move their pick in a deal. Not the Jets pick. The draft is loaded with D and the Habs don't need another D. Moving up from where the Habs are expected to pick to the top 2-3 is very expensive. So Zegras is their target.
above para: NO
bottom para:
1. get J Per. from ANA for like Vesey
2. LaF + G. Per + J. Per + NYR 2025 2nd
for
Reinbacher + Slaf + Barron + MON 2025 1st

GPer not here 2 mo yrs = same as Reinbacher
LaF - Slaf _________ somewhat comp, LaF has mo upside, Rs get pick upgrade

Barron helps immediately

Only dealing Kakko in a balzy move for say a Batherson. Deal out of LF
no

Reactions: 80s Kid

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Only dealing Kakko in a balzy move for say a Batherson. Deal out of LF

Funny I was just thinking of him in a deal with Ottawa.

Anyone up for something like this;

Batherson
Chychrun if you could get him at 25% off.
Pinto

Kakko
Lindgren
BMB/Sykora
This years 1st.

Yes, Batherson is playing the left side, but he can which over.

Chychrun for Lindgren has been discussed multiple times as the basis for a deal.

Pinto is a young player who can play center or wing.

Covers all our bases, is it enough not sure but one thing you know Ottawa is going to blow it up after the season.

Do you want to switch Pinto with Tank I don't but maybe some do--won't fit cap wise.

Flame on I know some will say it not even close, because of Kakko.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I wonder, really I hope, there’s a trade that we haven’t even heard anything about that the Rangers might be working on. Seems like there always is. I really am not a fan of many of the names thrown out there except for Eberle and a couple others.

Reactions: tiggles and RGY

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Funny I was just thinking of him in a deal with Ottawa.

Anyone up for something like this;

Batherson
Chychrun if you could get him at 25% off.
Pinto

Kakko
Lindgren
BMB/Sykora
This years 1st.

Yes, Batherson is playing the left side, but he can which over.

Chychrun for Lindgren has been discussed multiple times as the basis for a deal.

Pinto is a young player who can play center or wing.

Covers all our bases, is it enough not sure but one thing you know Ottawa is going to blow it up after the season.

Do you want to switch Pinto with Tank I don't but maybe some do--won't fit cap wise.

Flame on I know some will say it not even close, because of Kakko.

Probably just keep it simple with Kakko , Jones and picks

Batherson is way better than Kakko currently and still young

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
This is homerism at its finest. I'm not a Zegras guy at all, but if the Ducks offered him straight up for Kakko, you take it & run. Kakko's defense isn't Selke level, nor is it irreplaceable on the 3rd line. As soft & one dimensional as Zegras is, at least he can produce consistently & impact games. If you were a Ducks fan like @Leonardo87 , you wouldn't entertain that trade seriously.
Not homerism, just reality. Again, without PP1 which he wouldn’t be getting here, Zegras best year was 48 points. Kakko’s best year without PP1 was 40 points. People clamoring for Zegras just completely ignore the circumstances. His numbers don’t translate to the circumstances of this team. Period.
It’s not homerism to choose the, by five country miles, better rounded player who scored 0.09 points less per game minus all the PP1 points.
If our circumstances were such that we were desperate for PP scoring then I could see the case for making the trade, but we don’t need that. Zegras would be a 3C here, get no PP1, and probably not get 50 points. Or they could put him on 2RW with Zibs and hope that works out. And we would still need a 3C.
No thanks.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Not homerism, just reality. Again, without PP1 which he wouldn’t be getting here, Zegras best year was 48 points. Kakko’s best year without PP1 was 40 points. People clamoring for Zegras just completely ignore the circumstances. His numbers don’t translate to the circumstances of this team. Period.
It’s not homerism to choose the, by five country miles, better rounded player who scored 0.09 points less per game minus all the PP1 points.
If our circumstances were such that we were desperate for PP scoring then I could see the case for making the trade, but we don’t need that. Zegras would be a 3C here, get no PP1, and probably not get 50 points. Or they could put him on 2RW with Zibs and hope that works out. And we would still need a 3C.
No thanks.
Not even zegras had another 160 minutes of ice time to put those extra 9 points.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I wonder, really I hope, there’s a trade that we haven’t even heard anything about that the Rangers might be working on. Seems like there always is. I really am not a fan of many of the names thrown out there except for Eberle and a couple others.
Friedman's latest 32 thoughts column;

30. New York Rangers: I butchered something on the podcast I wanted to correct here. Chris Drury’s two deadlines are dramatically different. In 2022, he made four deadline deals, adding Vatrano a few days beforehand. Last year, he took massive swings with Tarasenko and Patrick Kane. Once again, they’ve got a really good team, with holes created by injury. They liked Tommy Novak, who will be staying in Nashville. They asked about Alex Tuch, and they’ve considered Vatrano. Do they pay Anaheim’s high ask for him? He’s got another year at $3.65M.

There are a few directions they can go. There are other good scorers at higher numbers (Reilly Smith, old friend Buchnevich), more challenging to make work. They prefer not to trade their top prospects, but they have their picks (although we’re seeing late first-rounders this season drop in value). You’ve heard Kaapo Kakko’s name out there. Watching their fourth line on Saturday, I wonder if the Rangers believe that can work in the playoffs. There are depth players they know: Colin Blackwell, Kevin Rooney. I’ve wondered about Tyler Johnson, but that’s a bigger salary.

I would move Othmann in a Tuch deal

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Not even zegras had another 160 minutes of ice time to put those extra 9 points.
True, but Im sure a good portion of that could be the PP time, and since I was negating the PP scoring I didn’t think it would be fair to include that extra time as a factor.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
No thanks.
Not to mention the fact that Zegras makes 5.75 million for the next 2 years. It all factors in to a big NO.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
30. New York Rangers: I butchered something on the podcast I wanted to correct here. Chris Drury’s two deadlines are dramatically different. In 2022, he made four deadline deals, adding Vatrano a few days beforehand. Last year, he took massive swings with Tarasenko and Patrick Kane. Once again, they’ve got a really good team, with holes created by injury. They liked Tommy Novak, who will be staying in Nashville. They asked about Alex Tuch, and they’ve considered Vatrano. Do they pay Anaheim’s high ask for him? He’s got another year at $3.65M.

How about Kakko for Tuch? Do we need to add?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad