Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Our window is pretty much this year and next. Go big or go home.
I have to disagree and say our window is just this year. I've always felt Drury had to get thru this season before he could finally start making significant moves (due mostly to the cap constraints and the bad contracts). Come the offseason, he'll have cap flexibility as well as being able to start moving out bad contracts. I believe next season's team will be vastly different from this season.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lafreniere didn't drive play at all but at least showed the smarts of going to scoring areas and getting garbage goals. Kakko up to this season has been a better player but the guy offensively has no brain. All he knows how to do is to forecheck and work the boards. He has no idea how to create offense off it. 9 times out of 10 it's going to the point if he even makes a pass.
If Kakko just didn't score but his linemates did, that would be fine. He would be a decent role player.

The problem is that his linemates don't either. He's a massive drag.

The "expected" numbers look ok, but it's been years.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
Lafreniere didn't drive play at all but at least showed the smarts of going to scoring areas and getting garbage goals. Kakko up to this season has been a better player but the guy offensively has no brain. All he knows how to do is to forecheck and work the boards. He has no idea how to create offense off it. 9 times out of 10 it's going to the point if he even makes a pass
In all fairness to Kakko, I have noticed him going to the middle and in front of goalie waiting for a pass. He isn't as inept as I had originally thought. He can pass exceptionally well, his shot is good and he has really good puck control along the boards. He definitely doesn't have the same offensive instincts as Laf but I can see him as a 60 point 2nd 3rd liner.

Even if some players don't get pp time as others you should still see the potential, with him I don't see the elite 1st line skills. It is what it is. Its no secret, his skating is bad. Runs out of steam quick, and has little burst.

Reactions: egelband

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
For all of Lafrenire's trouble, he literally always produced at 5v5. He needed a bit more opportunity, he needed to offer a better overall game, which he has, and he has a coach now that's not obsessed with putting him with Kakko, which hurts everyone he's with.

Kakko has never not been an offensive bomb in the NHL. He can't score and kills the scoring of every teammate he's with.

I'm all for patience and all that but they've always been two completely different cases.
They both had the same amount of goals and points last year. Laf just happened to take a step forward this year and Kakko missed nearly 2 months with the injury. Trading Kakko for anything less than another young player with potential would be a big mistake.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In all fairness to Kakko, I have noticed him going to the middle and in front of goalie waiting for a pass. He isn't as inept as I had originally thought. He can pass exceptionally well, his shot is good and he has really good puck control along the boards. He definitely doesn't have the same offensive instincts as Laf but I can see him as a 60 point 2nd 3rd liner.

Even if some players don't get pp time as others you should still see the potential, with him I don't see the elite 1st line skills. It is what it is. Its no secret, his skating is bad. Runs out of steam quick, and has little burst.

Kakko just always makes the safe play that doesn't challenge the middle of the ice. Sometimes he goes to the net with the puck off the forecheck I guess but rarely. I think he can still be a useful player. At this point his draft position is a sunk cost. We shouldn't trade him because he was disappointment relevant to draft position we should only trade him if the return makes sense.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
That's ok, he can be wrong if he wants.

You mentioned Kakko playing well with Cuylle. Cuylle doesn't have a point in his last six games.

Kakko always "plays well" with his linemates and none of them score. Lafreniere has finally had a whole season away from that stupid f***ing line and look at the season he's having.

It's not an accident and we know what the common denominator is. It's been five years. Kakko is offensive poison.
Yeah, Chytil only had a career year.

Also just because the line isn’t putting up points every night doesn’t mean they aren’t playing well and contributing to the teams success.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I have to disagree and say our window is just this year. I've always felt Drury had to get thru this season before he could finally start making significant moves (due mostly to the cap constraints and the bad contracts). Come the offseason, he'll have cap flexibility as well as being able to start moving out bad contracts. I believe next season's team will be vastly different from this season.
It all depends on the playoffs. If the team has a deep run, Drury will probably keep most of the band together for at least another year. He will have some financial flexibility to augment the core. If the playoffs are a repeat of last year, he will probably back up the truck.

Devils are cooked. I'll take one Tyler Toffoli
If they shop him, the Rangers should be all over that. Although I don't think they will move him (they would rather extend him) and I don't they would aid and abet the Rangers with that high a profile player.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs and RGY

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
It all depends on the playoffs. If the team has a deep run, Drury will probably keep most of the band together for at least another year. He will have some financial flexibility to augment the core. If the playoffs are a repeat of last year, he will probably back up the truck.

If they shop him, the Rangers should be all over that. Although I don't think they will move him (they would rather extend him) and I don't they would aid and abet the Rangers with that high a profile player.

I mean the Rangets did trade them Grabner back in the day. They owe the Rangers.

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
We can agree to disagree on this....

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Zibanejad, Othmann, 1st, and 2nd for Kuzy, cmon. They're in for years of hell after Ovie and Carlson are done anyway.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010

Yeah I don't know that they'd actually move him, but someone I'd definitely be interested in. He'll be 32 next month, not sure how long/much they'd be willing to give him

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Can't see it, Larry blocked me.

I never even had an exchange with Larry on Twitter. Those people know what this site is.

That's why Dave Shapiro plagiarizes me from time to time.
LOL no way. How did he know your Twitter? And did you bash him on here or something? Also how come you can’t read it, it’s not Brooks twitter

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Where is this coming from? What's with this post. I don't understand the reference or implication.
He’s fatigued by the persistent and reiterative malaise coming from some portions of the conversation

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
They both had the same amount of goals and points last year. Laf just happened to take a step forward this year and Kakko missed nearly 2 months with the injury. Trading Kakko for anything less than another young player with potential would be a big mistake.
That’s what we should trade him for Zegras

Go Rangers

Mar 16, 2022
Franklin Tn
I think Kreider has been fine....Mika subpar for most of the year. Looking at their roles on the line.....Mika is more the guy moving the puck around to the wings....there's more dependence for them from him than the other way around yet Kreider's production stats are where they should be even if his goals are a little down. His play away from the puck has been good too.

Some times players have off seasons and get a new breath of life when playoffs begin. That's my hope for Mika now and even if he's not having his best season he's still a very good player and the Rangers have had a really good year. Going in to the season I was expecting the Rangers to be third in their division behind Carolina and New Jersey. Carolina still has a chance to overtake us but it's no longer even a good chance. Making up 6,7, 8 points at this time of year is a tough ask.
If he’s saving it for the playoffs, then great but if not, he needs to go this summer unfortunately.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think I’d be more inclined to add another center for depth in general than a high end RW for Kreider-Zibanejad. As @Levitate mentioned and I’ve said in the past, they don’t use that player at all. Let them do their thing with Vesey playing there and backfill for better depth.

Reactions: majordomo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad