Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's okay. I see it the other way around though but whatever the team is doing very well so to some degree one might say critiquing either is kind of nitpicking. Most fans would love to have our problems with their teams in the position the Rangers are.
I mean sure. I don’t disagree that it looks like nitpicking. But at this juncture after this many playoff runs for Kreider, I would expect a better effort from him. An effort that is responsible to win games. I hate his effort out there. At times he is great. Using his speed. Willingness to snap shots off. And then the times defensively flip the script for him.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Zegras' overall body of work is fine to this point for his draft position...also acceptable enough if he was a 2OA. Sure he's had a down year, but he's also been hurt. Kakko's career has been an enigma since Day 1...some things not his fault (QUINN!), but others he only has himself to blame. I do agree with you that I don't want to trade him for Zegras...even if the trade does make a little sense. Zegras strikes me a guy who would continue the country club culture already ingrained here.
The person I was replying on focused on just this season for Kakko, I did an apples to apples. I clearly said they were both 1st round talents. What is the issue?
BTW without PP1, Zegras scored about 8 points more than KK last year, the best year for both. Zegras isn’t getting PP1 here. Even if Zibs went the other way, Laf would be up.
As I said, I wouldn’t trade KK straight up for Zegras. Not last year, and certainly not this year.
At Even Strength in 2022-23
81 games 19 goals, 29 assists in 15:59 minutes
81 games 18 goals, 19 assists in 13:58 minutes

Yes tell me that zegras is head and shoulders above Kakko offensively.
You wanna make the argument Kakko regressed? Sure, thats a better one than just saying Zegras is better.
But Zegras gets literally 2 extra minutes a game, which is what 3-4 extra shifts?
Now add that Kakko is the better defensive player by far.

Do you see why i get tired of this argument?

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Oh look you turned up from the little cave you were in. Did you finally dig up all those posts to back your claims you were never a Kane hater.

Kane buried you and you’re still dying on the hill. RIP.

It must be something to live a life with such a pessimistic negative outlook.

I can’t imagine what your crying would be like if this team was in the 2/3 spot or dare i say a bubble team…
I was wrong about Patrick Kane. I eat my projection loss about hom. . Congrats to you on the foresight pal.

I didn't see the pop in that first 2/3 strides to remotely return.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Kakko had a nice little 40 point season last year. How funny is this place though... just comes off a run of 7 points in 9 games, everyone's excited again. Then they try to shoehorn him back on that blackhole of a top line and he goes cold. The line just doesn't work. The bromance hasn't clicked all year. Funny enough, Wheeler is the only one who's been able to do anything with them this year. Kakko/Wheeler two different play styles. Just keep KK on that 3rd line, it's worked. He's missing Chytil big time, they compliment each other really well working off the cycle

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yes, focusing on just this season, a season where one of them has played 1/3 of the games is complete reasonable when they both have a larger body of work to analyze. Kakko doesn’t come close to Zegras in terms of production over the course of their careers.
82 games 18 goals, 19 assists in 13:58 minutes
Because clearly you need this to.

Similar sample sizes...
Now add kakko's defensive strength, whos head and shoulders above?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Kakko had a nice little 40 point season last year. How funny is this place though... just comes off a run of 7 points in 9 games, everyone's excited again. Then they try to shoehorn him back on that blackhole of a top line and he goes cold. The line just doesn't work. The bromance hasn't clicked all year. Funny enough, Wheeler is the only one who's been able to do anything with them this year. Kakko/Wheeler two different play styles. Just keep KK on that 3rd line, it's worked. He's missing Chytil big time, they compliment each other really well working off the cycle
This off season the worry wasnt KK, it was AL. Go back on the board over the summer, I was flamed for my bold prediction that Laf would be over 50 pts this season.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
82 games 18 goals, 19 assists in 13:58 minutes
Because clearly you need this to.

Similar sample sizes...
Now add kakko's defensive strength, whos head and shoulders above?
IMG_0281.jpeg
IMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0278.jpeg

Zegras has been clearly the better offensive player, which is what I was arguing about. Kakko has been better defensively, but I would much prefer the profile of Zegras, he’s a forward and generally it’s easier to become a better defensive player than vice versa and I think that is more valuable anyway.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I was wrong about Patrick Kane. I eat my projection loss about hom. . Congrats to you on the foresight pal.

I didn't see the pop in that first 2/3 strides to remotely return.
Last year this holds true.

And certainly no one could have foreseen how his comeback would look to this point*. Things could still fall apart for him. But my sole belief in him was derived from how much of the ultimate competitor this future HOFer has been throughout his career. Even his surgeon has his doubts about players recovering from this procedure, but with Kane this guy is a different breed.

It is what it is.

My hopes now are 1) we don’t trade Kakko and 2) we land Gourde/Eberle or Tarasenko/Wennberg by only dealing draft picks/prospects.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No worries bud.
I’m not saying he didn’t have legitimate reasons to do what he did, but the bottom line is that he did quit on his teammates. That is just factual. He made a choice. And that choice was to quit and go home/make more money. And he then did it again the next year when he didn’t have a contractual right. Of course Drury could not know that Krav would do it again, but I’d say he correctly identified Krav as a quitter and I have zero problem with him calling Krav out. Krav did what I’m sure he thought was best for HIMSELF, and everyone s free to do that. What we aren’t, is free from is criticism for the decisions we make. As far as I remember we have had two actual malcontents who wanted out of the org, Krav and Anderson. And honestly I don’t blame the team for either. They both seem to have thought they were way better than they actually were and were entitled to opportunities they didn’t earn. Neither is even an NHLer.
Last word on Krav
water under the bridge, and bern wanted Dobson instead...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
@Machinehead Larry Brooks is blaming your boy for Mika sucking :laugh:

Honestly it's both of them.

What points most fingers to Mika is that every time Kreider gets away from him he looks great. Lavi needs to knock it off with his favorites and do whats best for the team (and in the end, best for everyone outside of Lindgren who would really show his warts more than he already does.)

Reactions: TheDirtyH

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kuznetsov is not an option for me, imo the only two teams that have the culture to straighten him out are boston and colorado. I'd be worried he'd get the other russian buddies on this team into shit they've so far avoided.

I get Rempe has gotten a lot of talk, and i wanted him on the team at the start of the year but he is a 4th line guy, no way he should be above that. It's beyond time to try Othmann or Berard there.
I support trying Oth/Ber, but let's not be close minded.
An experiment is just that.
We are not married to it.

I think Kakko gets moved by Friday. It’s not happening for him. Time to bite the bullet for an upgrade imo.
no

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
@Machinehead Larry Brooks is blaming your boy for Mika sucking :laugh:

they've both been sucking lately.

The difference is Mika has sucked all season. Kreider has been up and down.

Anyway more and more casual (compared to us freaks, anyway) observers are starting to grumble about these 2 idiots and why they haven't been split up yet, hopefully the buzz can penetrate Laviolette's thick skull sooner rather than later.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
…How do we know, it's never even been tried. lol

Same way we don’t need to jump off the cliff to know that we break to pieces. lol

Cuylle is not a top-6 LW so it won’t help Zibanejad. Adding Kreider to Brodzinski will not maximize Kreider’s effectiveness no matter how admirable Brodzinski’s contribution has been as 3C placeholder. This would be a random change simply for the sake of change. The Rangers are in the situation where they are with such limited options because of unfortunate injuries to Chytil and Wheeler.

Good, he should. He should get most of the games down there next year and with that experience, the team will know better what they have in him by the time they need to commit to Shesty
What will be his waiver situation?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
There sure is a ton of whining about Kakko in this thread while ignoring the fact that he's never actually been the problem.
hes not the problem at all, but he's not the solution either. With Othmann, Perreault, Berard, Sykora waiting in the wings (pun intended) i'd definitely be cool with trading him for a Zegras (center, more offensive upside)

Reactions: TheDirtyH

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Not according to CapFriendly, unless you count the 100k bonus he's getting from this year that will be pushed to next year's cap.
I asked it before but didn’t see a reply - bonuses can’t be absorbed into LTIR cap number?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
they've both been sucking lately.

The difference is Mika has sucked all season. Kreider has been up and down.

Anyway more and more casual (compared to us freaks, anyway) observers are starting to grumble about these 2 idiots and why they haven't been split up yet, hopefully the buzz can penetrate Laviolette's thick skull sooner rather than later.

Kreider has always been streaky. It's frustrating because he has the skating, size, and ability to be an impact player, but it only comes in waves.

Mika was generally consistent in years past, but he looks absolutely checked out.

I get Laviolette not wanting to mess with the other lines that have been doing well, but he should be thinking about breaking them to get them going with a playoff spot all but secured. Two of your top 6 players looking this disengaged is a problem.

I said it earlier, but Kreider can be moved around and play to the role. It seems like it's Mika who doesn't have chemistry with anyone else.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Kreider has always been streaky. It's frustrating because he has the skating, size, and ability to be an impact player, but it only comes in waves.

Mika was generally consistent in years past, but he looks absolutely checked out.

I get Laviolette not wanting to mess with the other lines that have been doing well, but he should be thinking about breaking them to get them going with a playoff spot all but secured. Two of your top 6 players looking this disengaged is a problem.

I said it earlier, but Kreider can be moved around and play to the role. It seems like it's Mika who doesn't have chemistry with anyone else.
Put Mika with Cuylle and Kakko and i guarantee he starts shooting the puck at an Ovechkin-like rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad