Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Kakko is never going to figure it out. I’m sorry for the fan boys out there but he’s a p***y. It’s a personality issue not a talent issue. He’s a quiet shy dude. How many times do we need to see him do nothing in the offensive zone?

• Haha
Reactions: surlysailor

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I hate facts too….
Correlation and causation are famously not directly related.

A hockey example would be a team who has a better record for a backup goalie than their starter, which has happened hundreds of times.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Brian Leetch was a quiet shy dude. Not sure these reductionist Jordan Peterson-esque psychological takes on players are any more convincing than astrology to me
Comparing Kakko to Leetch is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Toyota Corolla

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Kakko is never going to figure it out. I’m sorry for the fan boys out there but he’s a p***y. It’s a personality issue not a talent issue. He’s a quiet shy dude. How many times do we need to see him do nothing in the offensive zone?
I think it's a lot more that he doesn't have a single above average NHL skill to his game. Spoiler alert: if he did, the local propaganda network would incessantly harp on it. They don't.

Because he's just a guy out there. We all see it.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I think it's a lot more that he doesn't have a single above average NHL skill to his game. Spoiler alert: if he did, the local propaganda network would incessantly harp on it. They don't.

His skating is atrocious, he’s so slow out there. Again, he wants to play a power forward game but he’s too soft to play that game. He gets knocked off the puck every time he does the stupid figure 8s along the boards.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
When the waiver news broke, I was counting down the minutes until a @NYR Viper post kicking tires on the idea.

Super weird, but the one thing Kuznetsov is good at is the PK:

GHsAW84XsAAZrJT

I don’t like the player, but I am open to ideas to removing Goodrow. A Kuznetsov buyout with money retained by Washington would be preferable

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It time to pull the trigger and get some reinforcements. 4 forwards played under 10 minutes last night. Brodz and Cuylle got added to Rempe and Edstrom with very limited ice time. That's the Kakko effect. Those two with Kakko just rolled and now they're lost out there and stuck to the bench.

Get a winger to pair with Kreider and Mika and get at least Kakko and Cuylle back together. I do think Goodrow-Brodz-Vesey can work if given time.

The ice team to me says Laviolette knows he doesn't have the pieces yet. They need 2 forwards and possibly a 3rd as a 13th. Time for Drury to get to work.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
First one that comes to mind.
Culye - Mika - Kakko
Kreider - Brod - Vesey
Exactly. Terrible and just underscores lack of options no matter how much fans will scream about splitting Kreider and Zibanejad.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
You’d think Drury would be devoting his time 5 days before the deadline to improving the team now rather than signing a near 40 year old to a one year extension
I think the move has subtle impacts for Quick’s mindset going into this year’s playoffs. I think it’s clever.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
His skating is atrocious, he’s so slow out there. Again, he wants to play a power forward game but he’s too soft to play that game. He gets knocked off the puck every time he does the stupid figure 8s along the boards.
Lots of guys are slow. You can't be that slow and not be able to use anticipation to cheat and get in better position and he shows precious little urgency in anything he does.

Name the amount of time he forced something to happen by willpower. Bet it's not many. It might be zero. He accepts situations and immediately moves on. Easy to play against.

His brain is for bigger ice. Read and react guy. Games too fast in the NHL to be that way if your processing is slow.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It time to pull the trigger and get some reinforcements. 4 forwards played under 10 minutes last night. Brodz and Cuylle got added to Rempe and Edstrom with very limited ice time. That's the Kakko effect. Those two with Kakko just rolled and now they're lost out there and stuck to the bench.

Get a winger to pair with Kreider and Mika and get at least Kakko and Cuylle back together. I do think Goodrow-Brodz-Vesey can work if given time.

The ice team to me says Laviolette knows he doesn't have the pieces yet. They need 2 forwards and possibly a 3rd as a 13th. Time for Drury to get to work.

Agree with all of this. I expect a message sending game tomorrow between us and Florida. Both teams will be very different in a week but I think both sides want to show they won’t be pushed around. Florida bullied Detroit but I like how we stack up. I’ll consider it a step in the right direction if Mika can keep Barkov down

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Yeah yeah they don’t exist haha. Highly doubt that.

You wanna talk about obsession… I didn’t even bring him up this time and you jumped at the opportunity to post something regarding me. Its creepy at this point. But go on with your continued spin…. Like i said before I am beginning to enjoy the interaction with you, you sound more foolish each time.

If you're going continue to accuse me of hating on Kane, the onus is on you to prove it. Please...I encourage you to go back & search my post history. But the fact that you're on some high horse because you might've been right about the dude is the creepy part. My issue has always been your spamming the boards about Kane, not the player himself. I started off trying to joke with you about this, but you had no sense of humor & decided it was personal. So you continue to think that, & in turn I've played into it, but again I assure it was never personal. Since it isn't serving either of us or the board, how bout we call a cease fire? I've mentioned in the past, before the Kane thing, I always enjoyed reading your posts.

But you know what's really funny & ironic, is that I actually agree with you...in hindsight we should've signed him for nothing when we had the chance since now we're in the same position we were at the start of the season. Kakko, like clockwork, hasn't progressed & Wheeler was clearly toast. The GM obviously thought otherwise. He wasn't willing to wait for the guy & even when it was clear we needed a RW, he wasn't interested in clearing salary for him. Now that same GM is about to trade assets for a top 6 forward & a 3C...when in reality we need an upgrade in our top 4.

However, I'm still not convinced Kane pushes us over the top, even playing like he has. He doesn't fix Mika's issues & he doesn't play a lick of defense. These were the same issues I had at the deadline last year...that the player wasn't a fit because he didn't solve any of the team's existing problems. Instead they shoehorned him into an already succesful powerplay when it was clear it wasn't working.

Reactions: RGY

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

He probably has the 2nd best hands on the team.
He's probably one of the stronger players on the team.
He's also one of our better forecheckers, for being as slow as he is...
If he was as fast as Laf, he would be our best player.

I just dont think you watch the games.

Reactions: mas0764

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The fact that Kreider never moved to rw when Laf joined this team is the gift that keeps on giving imo. We could be running Laf Trochek Kakko, Panarin Zib Kreider right now.
His draft position has definitely lead to disappointment, especially when he's mostly produced like a 4th rounder. My biggest issue with him is the lack of improvement, especially with his skating. He doesn't move the needle or impact games. He's just kind of there. Even when he teases us with some extended puck possession or fancy stick handling, 99 times out of a hundred it doesn't lead to anything.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if he ever figures it out...he is who is he at this point. He needs to decide if he can become a Fast/Erixon type player & impact games that way instead.
He does impact games, just not in the usual way a #2 pick does. Look up our record with and without him, look at our 3rd line with and without him. He may not be scoring at a great rate but he is having an impact. As i said before, you take his draft number out of the equation and he's giving us value for his contract. People lament the Buch deal, this has the potential to be way worse. A lot of people on here were trying to dump Lafreniere for scraps before the season, they pointed to Kakko being better, a lot can change in a year.

Hear all this noise last year about Lafreniere. I'm not a fan boy, just a guy who doesn't wanna dump him yet.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's not bad, just hope next season they stop with the split games and let him play 50 regular season games down there.
Last year, Domingue was the better player, although when Garand played all the games down the stretch and into the playoffs, he was great. This year, Garand and Domingue have nearly identical stats. Domingue may or may not be re-signed, but they will definitely bring someone in to shoulder some of the load down there. I expect Garand will play 2 out of 3 a lot more often.
Quick is 1 year at $1.275M. I'm going to assume some of that is bonuses
Not according to CapFriendly, unless you count the 100k bonus he's getting from this year that will be pushed to next year's cap.
Quick signed Dylan Garand on block?
One has nothing to do with the other. Garand isn't ready. He's better off playing 40+ games in the AHL than 20+ in the NHL.

Reactions: bobbop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad