Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If its a Zegras or Guentzel that will be here for some time I'm ok with it, but Kakko is gonna be the next Buch if we move him for something dumb. He is the linchpin on our 3rd line.
Well you might want to get ready then cause Drury is probably trading him for Vatarano and Henrique lol

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If its a Zegras or Guentzel that will be here for some time I'm ok with it, but Kakko is gonna be the next Buch if we move him for something dumb. He is the linchpin on our 3rd line.

I hope so, but i also hope they are of the younger variety that can help for more than this year.

I don’t want to move him for something dumb but for a guy banging the table for more ice time to anyone who will ask (according to Mollie Walker) he’s never done anything with it. I think Kakko & Jones moved in a package for 2 forward, with at least one having years left.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I think calling him a linchpin is kinda funny when he has 11 points. With that said, I don't want to trade him especially for the scrubs rumored to be available. However I would like to get him a skating coach & a cadre of sports psychologists. This offseason is his last shot, honestly. If they don't deal him in a hockey trade, he needs to prove he can produce at this level. If not, he needs to embrace a new role as a grinder/PKer.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I still don't get why Lav hasn't tried to break the dynamic duo up. Feel like there are a bunch of combos you could try, without breaking up the Panarian line.

Taking Kakko off the 3rd line seems to of killed any mojo that the line had. His skill was a big driving factor of that line being any good. Maybe they should try putting Rempe up on the first line for a few games. Mika and Kreider can do their thing getting nothing done, and Rempe can get an extra 5 mins a game to crush people.
What options?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think calling him a linchpin is kinda funny when he has 11 points. With that said, I don't want to trade him especially for the scrubs rumored to be available. However I would like to get him a skating coach & a cadre of sports psychologists. This offseason is his last shot, honestly. If they don't deal him in a hockey trade, he needs to prove he can produce at this level. If not, he needs to embrace a new role as a grinder/PKer.
The line came alive when he came back and drops off every time he's taken off it so I'd say that qualifies.
Question, if he wasnt taken 2nd overall but in the 3rd or 4th round you'd be pretty happy with him right? His pay justifies what he's doing right? So why sell low on him when he's giving you what you are paying for? He's still young, people forget how long it took Buch to get it, imo this could be way worse than the Buch trade.

It definitely would this year. Future years not so much
We'd still have a hole at rw with Vatrano playing with Zib line, you'd hope their line would better but given the way Zib looks now, would it? Center depth would be better but i doubt the 3rd line would be any better without Kakko as it's appeared to be a dud when he's not on it.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The line came alive when he came back and drops off every time he's taken off it so I'd say that qualifies.
Question, if he wasnt taken 2nd overall but in the 3rd or 4th line you'd be pretty happy with him right? His pay justifies what he's doing right? So why sell low on him when he's giving you what you are paying for? He's still young, people forget how long it took Buch to get it, imo this could be way worse than the Buch trade.
His draft position has definitely lead to disappointment, especially when he's mostly produced like a 4th rounder. My biggest issue with him is the lack of improvement, especially with his skating. He doesn't move the needle or impact games. He's just kind of there. Even when he teases us with some extended puck possession or fancy stick handling, 99 times out of a hundred it doesn't lead to anything.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if he ever figures it out...he is who is he at this point. He needs to decide if he can become a Fast/Erixon type player & impact games that way instead.

Reactions: Go Rangers

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
Kuznetsov is not an option for me, imo the only two teams that have the culture to straighten him out are boston and colorado. I'd be worried he'd get the other russian buddies on this team into shit they've so far avoided.

I get Rempe has gotten a lot of talk, and i wanted him on the team at the start of the year but he is a 4th line guy, no way he should be above that. It's beyond time to try Othmann or Berard there.
I agree that Rempe is a 4th line guy. My point was more it doesn't matter who the RW is on that line, might as well keep kakko on the 3rd line and have a functional 3rd line, rather then having dysfunctional 2nd and 3rd lines.

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Question, if he wasnt taken 2nd overall but in the 3rd or 4th round you'd be pretty happy with him right? His pay justifies what he's doing right? So why sell low on him when he's giving you what you are paying for? He's still young, people forget how long it took Buch to get it, imo this could be way worse than the Buch trade.

We'd still have a hole at rw with Vatrano playing with Zib line, you'd hope their line would better but given the way Zib looks now, would it? Center depth would be better but i doubt the 3rd line would be any better without Kakko as it's appeared to be a dud when he's not on it.

I have moral objections to adding Henrique but he’s an all situations player with 18 goals he’s much better than Kakko. I also think if Kakko gets moved they’ll bring another forward on the cheap to replace him. 3 guys in, 1 out.

My hope is Seattle keeps losing and we can deal Kakko there for a few forwards. In a package for some combo of Eberle/Gourde/Wennberg? That’s much easier to swallow imo. The pipe dream is Kakko for Buch, which I’d do in a heartbeat. Maybe Drury is out there searching for a guy we haven’t mentioned. He’s still got a week to make calls.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Regarding Goodrow -

I’d be shocked if hes moved at the deadline.

Despite how everyone feels about him, his albatross contract and the obvious eye-test that he’s lost a step or two he is still considered a valuable piece to this team.

He’s a top PK man, puts his face in front of slappers, is put on the ice for dzone draws and is out there with a one goal lead an empty nets on the other end. He’s also won two cups and has the playoff experience.

Thats not a guy you move when trying to win a Cup it’s one you add. And yes, his deficiencies are well noted and they are all true, he’s very one dimensional now. But we see his usage remain the same. That’s all you need to see.

The “worst’ thing that could happen for the Goodrow situation and the future construction of the roster is the Rangers winning the Cup because it validates his game and keeping the group together. As much as we would argue against it, the coaching staff and management would think otherwise because he performs some important roles and the GM brought him in. Plus no one will want his ass. He’s almost worth more to this club than elsewhere.

Doesn’t mean he cant be bought out after next season (which I think is where this is headed), but again I’d be shocked if he was part of any deal this deadline. And this isn’t some vote of confidence for him. He’s deadwood to me. I just see what I see.

That being said I would gladly keep Goodrow and his term if it meant bringing a Cup back to NY lol. I’ll make that sacrifice haha

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We have 2 top 9 RWs, so we need to add 1. How does it help us to trade one of our RWs (Kakko) for another RW? We'd still be a player short.

I think Kakko drew the short end of the stick this year. I don't know if he'd be doing as well as Laf if he had been paired with Panarin, but the time he has spent with Kreider and Zib has been non-productive, and IMO that's mostly Zib's fault.

It seems highly disingenuous for people to suggest that no RW can fix that line, and then kill Kakko because he doesn't produce when placed on that line. Kakko is not the guy who should be expected to drive that line, and neither should he be expected to significantly elevate the play of his linemates. That's on Kreider and even more on Zib.

Kakko had 40 points last year playing 3rd line with little PP time. He also looked good in the preseason while Laf was a bum and needed to be traded. It's amazing how quickly people forget. Recency bias at its worst.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I now want to trade Kakko for Zegras. We need a center. If we can get a young one that is cost controlled and good offensively, if bad defensively, you gotta do it. We have enough responsible forwards and good 2 way guys. Get someone that can do something with the f***ing puck.

Kakko+ for Zegras. Is Anahiem on Goodrows no trade list? Include him if not. Maybe the Ducks are willing to gamble on Kakko+Chytil? I'd do that too with all the wingers we have.

Just don't get a stupid rental. Wenneberg sucks. Gourde is 2 years too late. Novak, Trenin, blah, blah don't move the needle.

Eberle, Smith, Guentzel, Okposo, etc all terrible rentals. High cost, can't be resigned and likely won't perform since rentals rarely perform anyways.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Mark my words, if Kakko is dumped right now for spare parts when his value is at an all time low, the organization WILL regret that decision. He’s a power forward who needs more time to develop. These guys constantly develop late.
I have the same concern. Last thing we need is for him to become John LeClair elsewhere

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I have the same concern. Last thing we need is for him to become John LeClair elsewhere

I don't think he becomes John LeClair somewhere else but he had a line and a fit here before Lavi galaxy brained that.

Notice how every RW we have played next to the Bromance has looked worse than they did before? theres a reason for that.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I don't think he becomes John LeClair somewhere else but he had a line and a fit here before Lavi galaxy brained that.

Notice how every RW we have played next to the Bromance has looked worse than they did before? theres a reason for that.
I’m all for trying Berard there but that’s not happening. They’ll add another vet that won’t fit

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Exactly. Kakko is a fit on the 3rd line. Leave him there. Find someone to slot next to Kreider and Zib who won't cost a fortune in case it doesn't work. We don't need the best player, we need the best fit, whomever that may be. 2 years ago it was Vatrano.

We can re-evaluate Kakko in the offseason, but I see no reason not to keep him. We know what he is capable of. Judging him based on a failed marriage with Kreider and Zib is short-sighted.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I’m all for trying Berard there but that’s not happening. They’ll add another vet that won’t fit
I'd be happy to try Berard there. I think his skill set would help. We only have 1 game left between now and the deadline though, so there's not much runway to experiment. And I don't think Drury would put all in his eggs in that basket even if Berard had been given a chance and looked good.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Exactly. Kakko is a fit on the 3rd line. Leave him there. Find someone to slot next to Kreider and Zib who won't cost a fortune in case it doesn't work. We don't need the best player, we need the best fit, whomever that may be. 2 years ago it was Vatrano.

We can re-evaluate Kakko in the offseason, but I see no reason not to keep him. We know what he is capable of. Judging him based on a failed marriage with Kreider and Zib is short-sighted.

I’d trade him in a heartbeat while he has value for an upgrade but I wouldn’t be a fan of moving him to the Ducks for anything. It’s hard for me to think that will happen. If it was going to it would’ve. Drury is far from desperate right now.

Also how would people feel about moving Kakko if it got Berard a permanent roster spot? Just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad