Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The production is there from Kreider on special teams. At 5v5 he is just plain bad. Especially in his own end. I don’t know if he is hurt, or its a matter of father time, or even just him managing his efforts knowing at this juncture the rigors of a long season. But I dont see Zibanejad’s efforts the same as others. I have read opinions that Zibanejad looks disengaged and disinterested — I actually have that assessment of Kreider. I think Zibanejad, to a point, has been more physical than in years past. That could be driven by frustration but I just see him playing with the effort and the results are not there. I also think he isn’t shooting enough to break out of the 5v5 slump. Kreider on the other hand is a black hole in his own end with the board play and spatial coverage. He constantly p***yfoots plays with the puck in his own end. He did it multiple times last night. He just looks completely soft out there. He doesn’t finish checks, like ever. When he does they just seem so random. Most of the time its a fly by for him.

Kreider is and has been my favorite player since he broke in. But he has been polarizing these past couple years, this year more than any other year.

Kreider has the same amount of points even strength as Laf around 60th in the league. Not sure what you expect from a non-elite player.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I asked it before but didn’t see a reply - bonuses can’t be absorbed into LTIR cap number?
That is correct. If we had unspent money under the 83.5 mil cap at the end of the year, we could use that money to pay off all or part of the performance bonuses, but we won't have any cap space left. LTIR space cannot be used to pay the bonuses.

Also keep in mind that Wheeler has a 300k performance bonus, which he earned in full by playing in 30 games. Schneider has 400k in performance bonuses, but he won't earn much, if any, of that. Same with Cuylle, except his total bonuses are 82.5k.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Kreider has the same amount of points even strength as Laf around 60th in the league. Not sure what you expect from a non-elite player.
Kreider's production has actually been pretty good, but watching him float around out there is maddening. I get it that its not his first rodeo and the "saving himself for the playoffs" angle actually works with him because he's one of the few who didn't embarass himself last year, but come on don't make it so obvious.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
hes not the problem at all, but he's not the solution either. With Othmann, Perreault, Berard, Sykora waiting in the wings (pun intended) i'd definitely be cool with trading him for a Zegras (center, more offensive upside)

We've seen the Cuylle line with and without him, and i daresay it's pretty obvious he is the solution there. He's looked damn good any time he hasnt had to carry around either Zibanejad's mediocrity or the corpse of Nick Bonino

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
…The Rangers have the fifth best goals allowed average in the league. The back end is hardly a black hole. Again, any overhaul would happen in the summer. The extent of any overhaul depends on playoff performance. If there is an overhaul, I would be watching closely at the team expanding Schneider’s roles and responsibilities.

You noted solid goals against number and I counter with similarly good goals scored number. I think we can agree on both positions could use improvement immediately and in offseason and the question is how Drury decides or even able based on supply and trade cost to prioritize to address them.

Last edited:
Reactions: McRanger92

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Kreider's production has actually been pretty good, but watching him float around out there is maddening. I get it that its not his first rodeo and the "saving himself for the playoffs" angle actually works with him because he's one of the few who didn't embarass himself last year, but come on don't make it so obvious.

He's on the wrong side of 30 and has never been a play driver. The best we had was earlier in the career where he'd have 10 games where he was a forechecking demon and then would get a penalty and float the rest of the season. He's a much more productive player now.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
All stuff that was said about Lafreniere last season, imagine if we made the trades people were talking about last year.

Lafreniere it was more damning in one way and less damning in another. I felt like Lafreniere was physically not up to snuff and not doing much. Kakko physically has been more engaged than Lafreniere his whole career before this year. But he just doesn't have an offensive mind and I think that's a better issue than being physically not there.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Kakko + 1st for Zegras (25% salary retention - Anaheim, 25% - third team for 4th round).

Do you like it? I know Zegras would probably have to play RW until 2026 however he seems to be versatile.

I'm definitely against trading Kakko for Henrique and Vatrano.
Ducks aren’t retaining, not sure that’s enough before retention.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
All stuff that was said about Lafreniere last season, imagine if we made the trades people were talking about last year.
Just because Laf figured things out I’m not going to assume Kakko will, plus there’s been no discernible improvement in Kakko’s game. He is the same player he’s been for years with the same problems. He’s never going to be a huge producer in the nhl.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Not soon enough, buddy...

Also, 3/8

F*ck.

Every year man. Except I'm terrified this will be our biggest one in years. We've the pieces to get some serious Chytil replacement C +. Drury has more ammo now than he ever has.

Yeah terrified

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Our window is pretty much this year and next. Go big or go home.

Yeah let's f*ckin' go big is what I want with the least amount of our gigantic ceiling wingers not going out the door. Chytil replacement homerun trade is necessary for us to compete. Gimme that 4-6 d, an ok rw trade and we're going to be a really big fu(kin' problem.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I really don't care about Kakko at all at this point, but the notion of trading him for Henrique and Vatrano is bananas to me.

I don't think I could be moved to trade a conditional 3rd for Henrique and Vatrano.

I have never been so underwhelmed. That return is a level of "so what?" that puts Eric Staal in 2016 to shame.

It's not as bad as acquiring an actively terrible player, but it would be the most "two-pump missionary" acquisition this team ever made.

The team just getting more terrible would at least be funny at this point.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I really don't care about Kakko at all at this point, but the notion of trading him for Henrique and Vatrano is bananas to me.

I don't think I could be moved to trade a conditional 3rd for Henrique and Vatrano.

I have never been so underwhelmed. That return is a level of "so what?" that puts Eric Staal in 2016 to shame.

It's not as bad as acquiring an actively terrible player, but it would be the most "two- pump missionary" acquisition this team ever made.

The team just getting more terrible would at least be funny at this point.

Ain't nothing wrong with two pump missionary.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just because Laf figured things out I’m not going to assume Kakko will, plus there’s been no discernible improvement in Kakko’s game. He is the same player he’s been for years with the same problems. He’s never going to be a huge producer in the nhl.
For all of Lafrenire's trouble, he literally always produced at 5v5. He needed a bit more opportunity, he needed to offer a better overall game, which he has, and he has a coach now that's not obsessed with putting him with Kakko, which hurts everyone he's with.

Kakko has never not been an offensive bomb in the NHL. He can't score and kills the scoring of every teammate he's with.

I'm all for patience and all that but they've always been two completely different cases.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I’m not against trading Kakko, but I just don’t see any move by Friday that makes sense. He plays well with Cuylle. I want to add to that, not take it away.

Summer comes? That’s a different story. There are young wingers coming up in the next few years that make him expendable, but for this season? Just makes no sense, especially not for older rentals.

Also I can see it now. Kakko goes to a place like Anaheim, gets more time and time on the Power Play, starts producing and we all say “well why didn’t he do that here?”

For all of Lafrenire's trouble, he literally always produced at 5v5. He needed a bit more opportunity, he needed to offer a better overall game, which he has, and he has a coach now that's not obsessed with putting him with Kakko, which hurts everyone he's with.

Kakko has never not been an offensive bomb in the NHL. He can't score and kills the scoring of every teammate he's with.

I'm all for patience and all that but they've always been two completely different cases.
I’d imagine Chytil would disagree with you.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Lafreniere didn't drive play at all but at least showed the smarts of going to scoring areas and getting garbage goals. Kakko up to this season has been a better player but the guy offensively has no brain. All he knows how to do is to forecheck and work the boards. He has no idea how to create offense off it. 9 times out of 10 it's going to the point if he even makes a pass.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m not against trading Kakko, but I just don’t see any move by Friday that makes sense. He plays well with Cuylle. I want to add to that, not take it away.

Summer comes? That’s a different story. There are young wingers coming up in the next few years that make him expendable, but for this season? Just makes no sense, especially not for older rentals.

Also I can see it now. Kakko goes to a place like Anaheim, gets more time and time on the Power Play, starts producing and we all say “well why didn’t he do that here?”

I’d imagine Chytil would disagree with you.
That's ok, he can be wrong if he wants.

You mentioned Kakko playing well with Cuylle. Cuylle doesn't have a point in his last six games.

Kakko always "plays well" with his linemates and none of them score. Lafreniere has finally had a whole season away from that stupid f***ing line and look at the season he's having.

It's not an accident and we know what the common denominator is. It's been five years. Kakko is offensive poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad