Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
lol, what are you even talking about? Challenge away my guy, it’s a message board. I come here a few hours a day to read about the rangers not be lectured by some know it all.

I don’t care about your data, I don’t watch hockey for data points, I watch to be entertained. But if your biggest gotcha is that that line scored one more goal than they gave up at ES (while leading the team in goals), you got me, you really got me. Owned. I love how PP production has now become a slight to the players performing well on it. For years fans bitched about the PP and how inept it is. Now they have one of the best in the league for multiple years and it’s a knock. Maybe one day when you become a GM you’ll put a dynasty together. Fingers crossed.
It's like when a team is put down because they win "just because you have a great goalie". They all wear the same jersey. They're on the same team. It takes a combination of all parts of the game and if the net of that is you score more than your opponent and win the games, that's good.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
It's like when a team is put down because they win "just because you have a great goalie". They all wear the same jersey. They're on the same team. It takes a combination of all parts of the game and if the net of that is you score more than your opponent and win the games, that's good.
The problem with that statement is that your goaltender plays 57 minutes plus or minus a few.
Your power play can play anywhere from 0-60 minutes. You can have the best PP in the league, but if you can’t force teams to take bad penalties, and you can’t win the game without the PP you’re gonna lose.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Penalties happen most games even in, gasp!, the playoffs. You get your chances. Your goalie plays the whole game basically, he's on of the team so if you win because your goalie is good. Yay for us. It counts.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I acknowledge you saying 'bargain bin"
Howev
barg bin = unlikely to be signif improvement
most adds ditto unikely and also thus not worth to pay for
as to be expected, dif makers added, if available = way too expensive

so the only strategy, process of elimination is see if Oth/Ber catch lightning in a bottle and add something
even if it is short term

we can always disconnect/slow down if they are overwhelmed/need mo seasoning
Vatrano was "bargain bin" at the time, and now people want him for a 1st.

Last season, Niederreiter for a 2nd was a good value. Johansson, Engvall, Eller...those types can solidify a 3rd line. We don't need significant improvement, but a veteran to replace the depth lost from Wheeler. Vesey 1RW ain't great. Brodz 3C hasn't been that bad, but 1 more top 9 guy at a low cost would help our depth a ton. Especially if they are mainly a 3C.

There's still room for a cup of coffee for Berard, or another for Otter, but we can't hinge our chances on the kids quite yet.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Vatrano was "bargain bin" at the time, and now people want him for a 1st.

Last season, Niederreiter for a 2nd was a good value. Johansson, Engvall, Eller...those types can solidify a 3rd line. We don't need significant improvement, but a veteran to replace the depth lost from Wheeler. Vesey 1RW ain't great. Brodz 3C hasn't been that bad, but 1 more top 9 guy at a low cost would help our depth a ton. Especially if they are mainly a 3C.

There's still room for a cup of coffee for Berard, or another for Otter, but we can't hinge our chances on the kids quite yet.

No offense but I’m hoping Brodz/Edstrom are 12/13
Rempe a call up option
Need 2 F and maybe even 3

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I don't really understand why Kreider and Zib have to play together. It's clear they struggle to mesh with anyone else and it's beyond time to start testing other units.

They are so rarely split up it's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in all my years of watching this team.

The problem isn't Kakko, Vesey, Wheeler, etc....it's them two being conjoined at the hip.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Haha you amuse me. Kravtsov becoming a dime a dozen KHLer after all is said and done is enough of a proof of (lack of) his internal fortitude that Drury called him out on. Being a failed top-10 NHL draftee of the Rangers is what he will be known for. Maybe also a ton of disparaging memes that came with it.

Maybe Krav, Jessiman, Brendl, and Lias can form a barbershop quartet?

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I don't really understand why Kreider and Zib have to play together. It's clear they struggle to mesh with anyone else and it's beyond time to start testing other units.

They are so rarely split up it's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in all my years of watching this team.

The problem isn't Kakko, Vesey, Wheeler, etc....it's them two being conjoined at the hip.
What do you do with them though? Panarin/Tro/Laf works, Cuylle/Brodz/Kakko works. I don't really want those lines messed with.

Reactions: smoneil

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
What do you do with them though? Panarin/Tro/Laf works, Cuylle/Brodz/Kakko works. I don't really want those lines messed with.
I agree with this. My issue is the experiments happen irrespective of these lines playing well and they constantly split up those two successful lines without ever splitting up Mika and Kreids.

What is the logic there? Two lines are playing well and the one that sucks ass is being largely maintained?

I'd rather they either leave everything as is and burn Vesey or Edstrom there, rather than ruin either of those lines. But given they don't seem to want to do that, they should swap Tro & Zibs and start there. If that doesn't work, then try Zibs in between Cuylee & Kakko as a second line and the third line becomes Kreids-Brods-Vesey.

There is zero reason these two should be immune to being split up.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I agree with this. My issue is the experiments happen irrespective of these lines playing well and they constantly split up those two successful lines without ever splitting up Mika and Kreids.

What is the logic there? Two lines are playing well and the one that sucks ass is being largely maintained?

I'd rather they either leave everything as is and burn Vesey or Edstrom there, rather than ruin either of those lines. But given they don't seem to want to do that, they should swap Tro & Zibs and start there. If that doesn't work, then try Zibs in between Cuylee & Kakko as a second line and the third line becomes Kreids-Brods-Vesey.

Zib and Panarin don't mesh....and I don't want Zib anywhere near Laf. -- only logical spot is to move them to the bottom lines (one on third and one on 4th)...but I honestly do not see that happening: The Dolt would have totally lose it.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

I agree with both of you in principle. I think there are two things preventing the split up (other than the players having WAY too much control, which is a whole other issue): Losing Chytil and missing ~1 or 2 top 9 wingers. Say that Chytil (fingers crossed) can come back next year and that Othmann and Perrault pan out.

Then you'd have this mix:

LW: Panarin/Kreider/Othmann/Cuylle
RW: Kakko/Laf/Perrault
C: Zib/Tro/Chytil

Just about any combination of those players could be the top line in any given night. There are no Vesey's or Brodz's (not to knock those guys--as they are ideal 4th liners and decent 3rd liners), but the group above are pretty much legit top-6 guys. Right now, splitting up Zib and Kreider would mean splitting up a 2nd or 3rd line that is currently working OR/AND playing a guy (like Kreids in your example) with two guys that really don't reflect his ability.

Reactions: Galvatron

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

I was fine with this last year when half the boards were salivating over a one-legged Patrick Kane and if the alternative is giving up a shit ton of assets for Buch or Guentzel, I'm fine with it this year too. If Drury wants to see if someone like Duclair works on that line for a 4th or something, fine. Otherwise focus on depth D and maybe an upgrade on Brodz if the price isn't prohibitive.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Even with Kuznetsov not being an option here, he may be for someone else. Just another center being available to hopefully take a spot and lower costs.

Not sure who'd take that risk, wonder if Trotz thinks he can help in Nashville for the cost of next to nothing. Those were the best years that Kuznetsov had. Might open the door for Novak 👀

Reactions: kovazub94

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Yep. Everything is a little more ramped up, the set pieces, the action, the visuals, the stakes. I thought the first one had perfect pacing. There are some parts where it feels slow in this one.
Was Alia as good as the one in the original movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad