Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Maybe. But look at the hill they had to climb. They steam rolled the first 2 rounds. Not sure they get past the Debbies without that grit. After rolling the first 4 games, they gutted out a 7th. All of that experience and grit got that cup. IMO - the big issues with asset mgt were AFTER 94. Smith got his cup, he had enough juice to make sure we weren’t a joke for the next 20 years. He did the opposite.

I think the big difference now is that, while we have a great team this year, it does not have same feel as 94. In 94 there was much more belief in the core. Here? The core is pretty good and they obviously COULD win a cup. Then, you felt they WOULD win a cup. Much easier to go all in with a better hand.
I'll never agree with the point about the Devils. The Rangers went 6-0 in the regular season vs NJ because they couldn't contain our speed on the wings. We literally removed that speed for plodders & needed a miracle to beat them in the ECF's because the trap was suffocating us.

Smith was a very good GM up until that trade deadline. Then the wheels fell off entirely. Trading Doug Weight a year earlier wasn't a great move, but it was understandable. The amount of young talent he traded from March '94 forward was a disgrace. Keenan was delusional...we won that cup in spite of him & I'll go to my grave belieiving we win without all those trades. If Smith was convinced we needed more grit on line 3, there could've been some lesser moves to obtain it. Even if he was convinced he needed Noonan & Matteau, he should've made a deal without including Amonte.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
He quit on his team. Contractually allowed or not. He quit on his team. He had it coming.
Yup, and how this simple point is not getting through to a certain segment of posters is mind boggling. Maybe it’s generational.
Easy to say as the keyboard warriors eating chips off their chest. Hard to say what I would do if I was a 20 year old in a foreign country behind Michael Haley in the pecking order and had the option to go make way more money elsewhere.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
This. They were *BARELY* above break even in 5v5 goals, but got absolutely caved in the entire playoffs.
The kids were our best line through the first two rounds. They also got like zero ice time.

But the Laf goal against Pittsburgh was clutch af. And then you had those absolutely dominant shifts.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Easy to say as the keyboard warriors eating chips off their chest. Hard to say what I would do if I was a 20 year old in a foreign country behind Michael Haley in the pecking order and had the option to go make way more money elsewhere.
Are we talking about Kratsov? Because he’s not on the team, he’s not rumored to come back.
Why waste the energy

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I'm wouldn't trade KK, Perrault, Othmann, Berard or Sykora for any of these bums. Not really interested in trading the first round pick either for a rental.

Just find cheaper players for depth. As far as who, I guess that will depend on which teams are selling at the end of this week. There is a lot in flux still as far as we know.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Maybe. But look at the hill they had to climb. They steam rolled the first 2 rounds. Not sure they get past the Debbies without that grit. After rolling the first 4 games, they gutted out a 7th. All of that experience and grit got that cup. IMO - the big issues with asset mgt were AFTER 94. Smith got his cup, he had enough juice to make sure we weren’t a joke for the next 20 years. He did the opposite.

I think the big difference now is that, while we have a great team this year, it does not have same feel as 94. In 94 there was much more belief in the core. Here? The core is pretty good and they obviously COULD win a cup. Then, you felt they WOULD win a cup. Much easier to go all in with a better hand.
I think they finish off the devils in five or six. If they kept the players they had on the roster versus trading, and I also think that they finish off the Canucks in probably four or five.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
You are not getting Guentzel for just Kakko -- Pens will request a kings ransom just to come to the table.
Never said that, said i would move Kakko for him. Kakko, 1st and Jones would likely do it, but he'd need to be able to be kept

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I'll never agree with the point about the Devils. The Rangers went 6-0 in the regular season vs NJ because they couldn't contain our speed on the wings. We literally removed that speed for plodders & needed a miracle to beat them in the ECF's because the trap was suffocating us.

Smith was a very good GM up until that trade deadline. Then the wheels fell off entirely. Trading Doug Weight a year earlier wasn't a great move, but it was understandable. The amount of young talent he traded from March '94 forward was a disgrace. Keenan was delusional...we won that cup in spite of him & I'll go to my grave belieiving we win without all those trades. If Smith was convinced we needed more grit on line 3, there could've been some lesser moves to obtain it. Even if he was convinced he needed Noonan & Matteau, he should've made a deal without including Amonte.
If the rangers don’t trade amonte and weight I’d put money the rangers could have won 3 cups over the next 10 years. Horrible asset management

Kreider and Mika led the team in goals. Mika led the team in points. Kreider had 10-6-16 and Vatrano had 5-8-13. No other line came close to that production. “Worst line” give me a break.
That line consistently was dominated on the ice. I’m sorry but that is just facts

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If there's a Ducks RW that I'd consider putting with Kreider/Zibanejad, it would be Silfverberg and not Vatrano.

There are surely better options around the league but Silfverberg is excellent defensively and responsible almost to a fault. Has a really strong playoff track record (albeit years ago now), and seems like he's finally removed enough from his hip surgery to have some jump back of late. 5 of his 6 goals and 9 of his 16 points on the year, have come in the latest stretch of 18 games. If you're getting the 15-20 goal, 35-40 point version of Silf, that's a very useful and dependable player come playoff time.

Reactions: gump116

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If there's a Ducks RW that I'd consider putting with Kreider/Zibanejad, it would be Silfverberg and not Vatrano.

There are surely better options around the league but Silfverberg is excellent defensively and responsible almost to a fault. Has a really strong playoff track record (albeit years ago now), and seems like he's finally removed enough from his hip surgery to have some jump back of late. 5 of his 6 goals and 9 of his 16 points on the year, have come in the latest stretch of 18 games. If you're getting the 15-20 goal, 35-40 point version of Silf, that's a very useful and dependable player come playoff time.
sounds good but with that cap hit the Ducks would have to retain half and I am not paying big assets for him even with 50 percent retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad