Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I believe they still need to win the bid for the land. Severelli had a pod cast today about the owner of the group trying to get an NHL team released a survey on team names. Speculation was he wouldn't be doing that now if it was for an expansion team, that is likely 3 years down the road if approved.

A name would be needed soon if a franchise was going to move.

Then there is this:

That's disappointing if the Coyotes relocate. I'm not a Coyotes fan but I do feel for die hard fans if their team goes away. I would be quite sad if the Rangers or Mets left for some reason.

That plan for the arena in Arizona looked really nice.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
It's crazy how much Lindgren has declined.

View attachment 848143

This is Ryan Lindgren the prior three years. His offense sucks but he's still an NHL player in the offensive zone and he defends with the best of them.

View attachment 848144

This is Lindgren now. His offense is mid-AHL level and his defense is as bad as his offense used to be.

The only thing saving him from an even worse offensive rating, IMO, is that his partner has like 13 even strength goals.
Maybe it’s just a down year?

This hasn’t been 3-4 years in the making like Trouba.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Jones stepped up in the NZ and intercepted 3 pucks last night.
Noticed this.

We have all of the "character" and "intangibles" we need on D. So much so that we see the drawbacks of overplaying 55 & 8.

That's supposed to afford us the ability to run a 6D that's particularly good with a puck. Especially if he's not built like a prototypical "tough 7D." Gus was one hell of a signing, but Jones has taken that spot for me. I was hoping that would happen.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Gus is still better than Jones and It’s not close. But the argument is pointless because both would be playing if this was merit based

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Gustafsson is 6’1, surprisingly physical, and has the trust of the coach. I’d be surprised if Jones is in over him, regardless of how well he’s playing.

Reactions: leetch99

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gustafsson is 6’1, surprisingly physical, and has the trust of the coach. I’d be surprised if Jones is in over him, regardless of how well he’s playing.
I don’t think he’s very physical. But i agree that they will definitely go with him over Jones in the playoffs.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
“Other than ES stats”… so other than his offense for 85% of game time. No one (at least that I’ve seen) is discounting his special teams play (tho his PP scoring is also off) or defense, but we are all entitled to say his EV stats are a huge disappointment. Because they f***ing are.
1. It's widely accepted that Zibanejad's having a down season but the issue is - to what degree? His most vicious critics who there're all of a sudden a lot of this board do largely ignore his other contributions including the fact that by the end of the season in his admittedly down year with any bit of luck in the last 4 games he will be approaching 30 goals. Is it worth discussing why he's having a down year, how it manifests or where it's being compensated etc? Sure, but resorting to over-the-top negative hyperboles including name-calling etc with Zibanejad's overall performance and contributions? WTF?
2. Did you follow this this discussion? @SA16 post that about rate of generation high-danger chances, goal conversion etc? Maybe it is still hugely disappointing to you and this is the case of a glass half-full vs half empty take, but even with his down season the Rangers team is a favorite for being tops in the league or at least the East (Metro IMO is already wrapped) and his conversion rate at any point should start turning around to get back to historical averages. IMO it's a positive.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Can they fit him though? They need to pay Middlestedt and will they choose Drouin over someone like Walker on the back end? I don't know if they have the $$
Buyer beware on Drouin. We've seen this scenario play out with other players. They never live up to their potential, bounce around a few times, then finally get into a situation where they are making peanuts and produce good numbers. Some GMs see those numbers and believe they are repeatable in a different situation, but much more often than not, they aren't.

Maybe Drouin could produce on a wing with Kreider and Zib, but how much are we willing to pay to find out? It certainly won't be the 825k he's making this year, and given his track record, I'm less inclined to roll those dice.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
1. It's widely accepted that Zibanejad's having a down season but the issue is - to what degree? His most vicious critics who there're all of a sudden a lot of this board do largely ignore his other contributions including the fact that by the end of the season in his admittedly down year with any bit of luck in the last 4 games he will be approaching 30 goals. Is it worth discussing why he's having a down year, how it manifests or where it's being compensated etc? Sure, but resorting to over-the-top negative hyperboles including name-calling etc with Zibanejad's overall performance and contributions? WTF?
2. Did you follow this this discussion? @SA16 post that about rate of generation high-danger chances, goal conversion etc? Maybe it is still hugely disappointing to you and this is the case of a glass half-full vs half empty take, but even with his down season the Rangers team is a favorite for being tops in the league or at least the East (Metro IMO is already wrapped) and his conversion rate at any point should start turning around to get back to historical averages. IMO it's a positive.
Well, that's why I do not ever resort to over the top negative hyperbole or name calling. I don't with Trouba, Lindgren, or Kakko, and I never did with Laf either. The former three are all having disappointing seasons and Laf had been disappointing prior to this season as well. Yes, I followed the discussion: Zibs is having an all around disappointing season and its completely fair to say so and to say he NEEDS to step it up. He doesn't get a pass for 10-16-13 (along with goaltending, special teams and FOX) basically carrying us on their back to 1st place in spite of his bad showing, ESPECIALLY his EV scoring, this year. He doesn't get a pass. Sorry. But if you are talking about all the stupid cracks about his manhood, or being a vegan, I agree, it's got no place in the discussion.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Average 5v5 this year actually makes me bullish.

Historically they have won a lot of games
with elite ST/Goaltending + bottom 10 5v5.

Average is a meaningful improvement.
Not to mention that since the deadline it's been much improved.

Did they expect a team in 2024 that was icing Nick Bonino, Barclay Goodrow, Blake Wheeler, Johnny Brodzinski, and Tyler Pitlick as pieces to excel 5v5?

What Lindgren and Trouba did to a team, especially the beginning of this season, was criminal.

That ESPN article mentioned the Bruins of last season. That team faced zero adversity all season. The Rangers faced it 10 games in. Lost Chytil. Then lost Fox. Thought Chytil was coming back and didn't. Wheeler going down gruesomely. Trouba missing time. Shesterkin being under a .900 SV% at the end of January. Kakko missing major time.

Now since the deadline, Lindgren and Trouba are both on the positive side xGF and SCF%. That makes things much different. Trouba is a smaller sample, but that time away might have been exactly what he needed to get ready for the playoffs.

I no longer care about the Rangers opponent in the playoffs. I feel like they have a chance to beat any single team they could face. Only a few can beat them, but they're lined up for Carolina in R2 which could be an issue.

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I’m not as concerned about Carolina, rangers just seem to find a way against them lol. But that article was mostly reasonable I think. They identified most of the same problems the Rangers have as a lot of us here have. Just gotta hope special teams are good, goaltending is good and maybe they play even at 5v5.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Wyshnyski’s annual article where he assembles the Analytics avengers to poke holes in the Rangers chances. Yawn.

Someone show me a perfect team, I’ll wait. No one wants to see play the Rangers this playoff and the Cup is ours for the taking.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I’m not as concerned about Carolina, rangers just seem to find a way against them lol. But that article was mostly reasonable I think. They identified most of the same problems the Rangers have as a lot of us here have. Just gotta hope special teams are good, goaltending is good and maybe they play even at 5v5.

"Artemi Panarin has scored 61% of his points on the man advantage. "

ESPN may want to check their work.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Nothing new about broad deficiencies at even strength.

But what this article attempted to capture without saying the word explicitly is the team’s resiliency and being a tough opponent in general. Having one of the best records after scoring first goal, the best record after allowing a first goal, closing the game when entering the third period with the lead, comeback wins etc - all points out to team’s intangibles that allow them to overcome 5x5 deficiencies.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Buyer beware on Drouin. We've seen this scenario play out with other players. They never live up to their potential, bounce around a few times, then finally get into a situation where they are making peanuts and produce good numbers. Some GMs see those numbers and believe they are repeatable in a different situation, but much more often than not, they aren't.

Maybe Drouin could produce on a wing with Kreider and Zib, but how much are we willing to pay to find out? It certainly won't be the 825k he's making this year, and given his track record, I'm less inclined to roll those dice.
I am simply just not spending scarce cap dollars on a pass first winger. Waste of resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad