Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
2016: Pittsburgh
2017: Pittsburgh
2018: Washington
2019: Blues
2020: Tampa
2021: Tampa
2022: Avalanche
2023: Vegas

Outside of Colorado (and it took them 8 years?) how many of those teams won because they ripped it down to the studs and did a full rebuild? Pittsburgh was good forever, Tampa too. Vegas was a freaking expansion team.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
2016: Pittsburgh
2017: Pittsburgh
2018: Washington
2019: Blues
2020: Tampa
2021: Tampa
2022: Avalanche
2023: Vegas

Outside of Colorado (and it took them 8 years?) how many of those teams won because they ripped it down to the studs and did a full rebuild? Pittsburgh was good forever, Tampa too. Vegas was a freaking expansion team.
Pittsburgh was good forever because they ripped it down to the point of almost moving.

Your point is taken, but they're not a good example.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Pittsburgh was good forever because they ripped it down to the point of almost moving.

Your point is taken, but they're not a god example.

Washington was bad for a while too.

Colorado was so ass that they basically went through 2 rebuilds. Tampa has/had a 1 OA, 2 OA and traded a 3OA for Sergachev.

None of those examples are good aside from St Louis and Vegas. The latter won with 1 draft pick of their own on the roster and he was a 6th defenseman.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Washington was bad for a while too.

Colorado was so ass that they basically went through 2 rebuilds. Tampa has/had a 1 OA, 2 OA and traded a 3OA for Sergachev.

None of those examples are good aside from St Louis and Vegas. The latter won with 1 draft pick of their own on the roster and he was a 6th defenseman.
And then there's St. Louis.

Has to be in the discussion for worst roster to win a 4-major-championship all-time.

Reactions: Kendo and mas0764

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Remember all the doom and gloom last summer? All the threads saying no to all "retreads"? The bashing of Quick? The bashing of Lavi? What a difference 8 months makes.

Reactions: egelband

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
The answer to "what should we have done," or "why don't people fully buy into this team," have the same answer: A full rebuild was required and we didn't do it.
wildly untrue imo. The answer to the second question is "because we are not a dominant puck possession team, top 10 (or even top half) in xgf%/xga/%."

That's just static look at what this team is and isn't right now, against what people believe to be strongest indicators of playoff success.

Your contention that a commitment to a full rebuild would have assuredly resulted in a team that would satisfy all criteria for lasting contention is an opinion, not a fact.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

Your point is taken, but they're not a good example.
But they ripped it down how many years before those last two Cups? Same goes for Washington. Their best players were in their 30s or close to it when they won them.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But they ripped it down how many years before those last two Cups? Same goes for Washington. Their best players were in their 30s or close to it when they won them.
They lasted that long because they got generational talents with the 1OA. That's still the best way to win.

That's not to say we can't have success. Some of that talent requirement was met by a Hall of Fame defenseman falling from the sky and a legit superstar signing here right before his peak.

This team is what it is for a bit, but I can understand why people might want to reset a bit when Kreider/Zib/Panarin start getting old.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
We have beaten the other best teams in the league

In the regular season.

What is this team NOT doing that you don't have them in that grouping?

5v5 dominance.

Your contention that a commitment to a full rebuild would have assuredly resulted in a team that would satisfy all criteria for lasting contention is an opinion, not a fact.

I've literally never said "assuredly," and in fact said explicitly not assuredly.

I said that's assuredly the best way to get there. Not that its guaranteed you get there.

Last edited:

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
They lasted that long because they got generational talents with the 1OA. That's still the best way to win.

That's not to say we can't have success. Some of that talent requirement was met by a Hall of Fame defenseman falling from the sky and a legit superstar signing here right before his peak.

This team is what it is for a bit, but I can understand why people might want to reset a bit when Kreider/Zib/Panarin start getting old.

I've said myself, sure, they can win.

But what kicked off this discussion was "Why don't people give this team it's due?"

That's why. That's the reason. They don't look like the teams that win most of the Cups and how they were constructed. And it's not just cosmetic: that's the best way. To get generational talent(s) and keep them for many, many runs.

And then the people who asked, object to the answer.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I don't know what his criteria is but I do know that vally's people go back and triple check their work.

NST has been my least favorite of the free sites. I love all of the different data sets they provide but I think they miss way too many things.
Valiquette's number is based on re-watching the game & including events before each shot - was it a breakaway, off the cycle, off a royal road pass, or whatever. So it's a more valuable number.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

Well that's the thing, you can be dogshit for 5 seasons and still not come out of a rebuild with guy like Crosby (who should have gone to the Rangers his draft year because they bottomed out to be the worst team in the league just to get him) or Ovechkin because they come around so rarely. I'm just saying, a full throated rebuild isn't the only way to win a Cup, as you said the Rangers have acquired god-like players without drafting them at first or second overall.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If a Lindgren extension is something in the 4 x 4 range I can live with it because 1 bad year doesn't negate the track record before, and the future captain wants him here. That being said, I see Miller and Schneider as more vital to our future success and if a hypothetical Lindgren contract deters us from re-signing those guys at any point I wouldnt like it.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
After reading over probably 1000s of posts about Lindgren in the last few years I noticed something kind of interesting. The people who want him signed in the offseason all say the same thing. He is a heart and soul guy, the team loves him, he has great chemistry with Fox etc. None of that actually describes his game plus Fox is a superstar are we acting like no one can play with him? Fox being as smart as he is with his talent can probably play with most players.

The people who want him traded talk about his game. He is terrible on offense as he doesn't have a good shot, not great at passing, skating is mediocre, cant stick handle so he usually just dumps the puck in an area that another Ranger cant get to while under pressure etc. They talk about his durability as he gets drilled more than anyone else on the team, gets knocked out of the game but he keeps coming back to play hurt. Is that even a good thing? Lastly this year especially his defense hasn't been good as he is out of position a lot and people are getting behind him. A

I challenge everyone to go back and read the threads and notice the difference. The pros are almost entirely things that can't be measured and the cons are almost always about his skill and performance. If you spoke with anyone about him and left off his name and described him as a player it doesn't sound good. Does he skate well....no. Does he shoot well....no. Does he pass well....no. Is he physical....no he usually gets destroyed. Does he block a ton of shots....no and usually he gets hurt when he does. Is he an amazing shutdown dman....no but he does play with one of the best dmen in the game and I think he has great chemistry.

I just dont understand it.
I think Lindgren is actually a very underrated skater. He moves pretty well. His game is focused mostly on retrieving pucks and getting it to Fox to move up ice, but he moves the puck up the boards relatively well. If he had to be the one breaking it out, I think you'd see a lot more mistakes, but he plays with Fox and doesn't need to. While most posters act like he is a detriment with the puck on his stick and a poor skater, I don't really see it that way.

He also has the courage to absolutely eat pucks, which you need in a few of your defensemen. You can't have 6 guys who play the same way.

Because of his courage, he doesn't protect his body well enough. He needs to learn to retrieve pucks and avoid checks, because he is average sized. If he doesn't do this, he puts himself at risk of injury, which we've seen over the past few years.

He's also surprisingly good at keeping pucks in at the blue line and keeping the play alive.

At the price point he will likely sign, you're not going to find a similarly capable player. I'm not saying they shouldn't upgrade him if an upgrade is available, but I'm not seeing Lindgren as a "must move" guy as if he is a detriment to the team.

Well I do want to win more than one Cup and if we happen to win one, there will be analysis of what we need to do to win another.

Disappointed in winning one? No.
I mean, you should always be trying to get better. Whether you win the Cup or not. So you're rephrasing what I'm saying.

My point is, instead of enjoying the win, you'd say they got lucky and be negative about not winning another one.

I don't know, I think there is a line between being critical and analyzing the roster/moves, and being cynical, and you tow it. You act like there's one way to win the Cup and there just isn't. Vegas is a perfect example.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
gus + jones will probably be cheaper than lindgren and theyre both better than him. easy call.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If a Lindgren extension is something in the 4 x 4 range I can live with it because 1 bad year doesn't negate the track record before, and the future captain wants him here. That being said, I see Miller and Schneider as more vital to our future success and if a hypothetical Lindgren contract deters us from re-signing those guys at any point I wouldnt like it.
4 by 4 is $16 mill. If we have made the decision to re-sign him (not sure yet), I would might offer him a little more in average salary but limit it to a 3 year deal. He is 26 now. That would give us years 27-28-29 and allow him to sign another UFA deal at 29.

Reactions: McRanger92

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
When did we get an odd-man rush with Bonino?
Yeah that’s true this is not a realistic scenario, laughing gas must be kicking in.

It would be like a developing 3 on 2 in the neutral zone after Fox dissects the entire forecheck with his mind and passes it up, but Bonino is so slow and bad that the back checkers catch up and it doesn’t even look like a bad play dumping it in

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Remember a day ago when Trouba played more than Adam Fox?
You mean the game that was our 5th straight win where we killed 6 minutes in penalties and did not have any power plays? Yes I remember it. What is your point? Is that your way of still complaining that we hired Lavi as our coach?

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
The Colorado rebuild wasn't even a success. Their first early pick was Duchene at 1.3 in 2009. They won the Stanley Cup in 2022. I would not call a 13 year plan a success. That was MacKinnon's 9th year. These "rebuilds" take so long to yield results there is no way to know if another plan would have worked better. They went through 3 head coaches and 3 GMs in that time period.
Tell our friend mas that

That's not the risk for us.

No guarantees that a total rebuild becomes Colorado, but the downside simply doesn't exist for a big market team like NYR.

We basically have had the worst case scenario happen for our rebuild. All our top picks have underachieved, yet we are still such an attactive location that Panarin and Fox demanded to come here and we have a playoff team.

That will always happen. We're the Rangers. There is always some star that wants to come play here. We are left off everyone's No Trade List.

The full rebuild even in failure probably ends up as a mid playoff team if you are NYC. Which is barely worse than what we've been the past two years.

Meanwhile you can't become Colorado or Tampa without a full rebuild and their star power.

Not every season that you don't win the Cup has to be classified as a "failure," but for the Rangers who haven't won since 1994, and only once since 1940, it's time to be done with the moral victories of making the playoffs or winning a playoff round or two. We've seen that.

The middle road over and over again gets you exactly what we've gotten. One Cup in 30+ years (or really, 80 years, but I won't speak to how the team was run before 1994).

It was time to be aggressive and we punted. The most likely outcome is more of the same. But for impatient fans, just being able to witness playoff hockey and having "as good a shot as anyone," is good enough. That's not good enough for me anymore. I want a better shot than others and I'm willing to wait for it.
Weol boo hoo for you. Most fans want a chance each year. Not to wait 8-9 years praying you’re the rebuild that works.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m sure that the league would have a problem with it the second the Rangers did it but I think they could be really successful following the Vegas method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad