Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Is it me or is it crazy the Flyers are legit thinking of trading two of their better dmen when they have a great chance to grab third in the metro? I mean are they straight up gonna tank that spot and just miss the playoffs? Their young players like Brink/Tippett/Foerster are looking pretty good and a playoff entrance would only help their development.
I think it’s actually really smart and ballsy, they’re far from contenders and torts has done a fantastic job getting them there, but long term success even not selling would be bad.

Reactions: cheech70

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Man, total pipe dream but if Drury can somehow pry Eberle from Francis in addition to Wennberg... that could put them over the top.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is it me or is it crazy the Flyers are legit thinking of trading two of their better dmen when they have a great chance to grab third in the metro? I mean are they straight up gonna tank that spot and just miss the playoffs? Their young players like Brink/Tippett/Foerster are looking pretty good and a playoff entrance would only help their development.

I think they realize they are overachieving and they are buying in to the process

Reactions: Riche16

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think it’s actually really smart and ballsy, they’re far from contenders and torts has done a fantastic job getting them there, but long term success even not selling would be bad.
Well if they were to garner serious assets for those two maybe but I'm not getting a couple of 2nd or 3rd rounders and a ok prospect and basically tanking a playoff spot my team has worked hard to achieve. Sounds like loser mentality.
Now if they get a couple of firsts and a legit prospect that might be different.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think they realize they are overachieving and they are buying in to the process
Its actually a little concerning.

Torts makes every team he coaches over achieve, when hes got their ears.

Smart on the front office of Philly to not get ahead of themselves. Question is when does Torts wear out his welcome? Something tells me in his older age it will be longer this time around

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I mean would you do it? They have about a 75-80 percent chance of making the playoffs. Would you trade that for a couple of 2nd rounders?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I mean would you do it? They have about a 75-80 percent chance of making the playoffs. Would you trade that for a couple of 2nd rounders?
And a better draft spot.
Considering they need to tank for probably another 2 years to really refill the talent pool, plus wait for michkov to come over, yes.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Oh I agree 100% but judging by Lavi’s utilization of him in a “playoff type” game it leads me to believe he buys in the non-existent intangibles hype.

I kind of feel this board hasn't quite seen how Goodrow has been used this season. As well as this post there was comments yesterady about him being 'Lavi's pet" and regularly playing 14+ minutes.

Goodrow played the 7th most forward minutes 5v5 yesterday, a full 2 minutes behind KK who was in 6th. You could argue that Vesey could have had more minutes, but that's about it based on current roster options and they play a different position. Who else does Lavi have to utilise right now?
His ATOI (all situations) is down 1:30 from last season (12:49), which makes me question the 'regularly plays 14+ minutes line) and the lowest it's been since his brief 8 game stint with the Lightning in 19-20.
Despite missing KK, Wheeler and Chytil for large parts of the season, Lavi hasn't shown a tendency to promote Goodrow up the lineup, and certainly not above the 3rd line. He even seemed to prefer Brodz to him until very recently.

The playoffs are a different beast, but if Drury is able to get some centre depth I can't see why we'd think Lavi would play Goodrow over them based on what we've seen this season

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Bern , It's ok to sign rentals sometimes when the cost is reasonable as is the case with Wennberg. If Chytil can't come back or when Goodrow is traded or bought out we will need a bottom 6 center or 2 and can then sign him to a reasonable deal depending on how he plays the next few months. Brodzinski sucks dude.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
This has been Torts’ schtick since he was here. Run your top players into the ground and run out of town anyone who doesn’t buy in.

Short term gains with long term consequences. Not a championship-winning strategy.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
And a better draft spot.
Considering they need to tank for probably another 2 years to really refill the talent pool, plus wait for michkov to come over, yes.
Not sure if going from pick 17/18 to 14/15 is that much better of a spot.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
This has been Torts’ schtick since he was here. Run your top players into the ground and run out of town anyone who doesn’t buy in.

Short term gains with long term consequences. Not a championship-winning strategy.

Didn’t he *checks notes*… win a championship? :sarcasm:

(Yes I’m aware that was 2004)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I kind of feel this board hasn't quite seen how Goodrow has been used this season. As well as this post there was comments yesterady about him being 'Lavi's pet" and regularly playing 14+ minutes.

Goodrow played the 7th most forward minutes 5v5 yesterday, a full 2 minutes behind KK who was in 6th. You could argue that Vesey could have had more minutes, but that's about it based on current roster options and they play a different position. Who else does Lavi have to utilise right now?
His ATOI (all situations) is down 1:30 from last season (12:49), which makes me question the 'regularly plays 14+ minutes line) and the lowest it's been since his brief 8 game stint with the Lightning in 19-20.
Despite missing KK, Wheeler and Chytil for large parts of the season, Lavi hasn't shown a tendency to promote Goodrow up the lineup, and certainly not above the 3rd line. He even seemed to prefer Brodz to him until very recently.

The playoffs are a different beast, but if Drury is able to get some centre depth I can't see why we'd think Lavi would play Goodrow over them based on what we've seen this season
Goodrow will likely be in their top PK plans and out there at the end of games because thats what he's trusted to do and hes had a really good year over the dot. So defensive zone starts.

I don't see Lavi forcing him into matchups and elevating him either if Drury brings in 2 more forwards and Kakko stays. It would be great to just roll 4 lines and you would have an easier time doing that with Vesey and Brodz along side him.

He's also a good at eating pucks as a sacrificial lamb instead of someone else whos more important. Especially in the reg season.

Reactions: mike14

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
For the record:
bern advises maxing value in our futures.

bring up Othmann, Berard, Robertson.
NOW

NO to ALL these trades
IF IF IF IF IF IF
you HAD TO make a deal, which BTW YOU DO NOT,
then

lesser of evils is forget lesser talents like Wennberg high talents like Guetz from Pens, etc, all of which are overpriced.

try to leverage Othman ++ for Vatrano +
get some futures upgrade while adding immediate help

Oth + Pajuneimi + Good retained 1.6x down to 2.0 + 2025 1st + 2024 4th
for
Vatrano + Helleson + ANA 2024 2nd + its 3 3rds [ANA PIT. SJ]

something like that

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Last summer, I thought Schneider was a possible trade chip. With Fox and Trouba locked in on the right side, it made sense as a possible chip to upgrade the offense. Two things have changed. Schneider is playing much better this year than last year. In my mind he is ready to take a step into the top four. And if Captain Trouba can’t deliver a deep playoff run this spring, he enters a window where he can be easily moved to another team.

I really think the Rangers would like a RW with term. You know who the candidates are. The trades they end up making will suck up some of the dwindling draft assets and the relatively thin prospect pool. Is it Reilly Smith time?

If the Rangers do get a RW with term, Kakko is gone this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: duhmetreE

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
going to go hog wild right now

IN:
Guentzel
Wennberg
Hanifin

OUT:
Kakko
Lindgren
Goodrow
Robertson
1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks
(probably more prospects too but hear me out)

LTIR:
Trouba

Kreider-Zibanejad-Guentzel
Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Wennberg-Vesey
Edstrom-Brodzinski-Rempe

Miller-Fox
Hanifin-Schneider
Jones-Gustafsson

still dont think this teams good enough. or under the cap either.
Kind of odd to back up the truck with the third best record in the league.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I wonder if Crosby and Malkin decide to finish their careers in Pitt during a rebuild, retire earlier than they needed to like Lemieux and Palffy did, or ask for a trade to a competitor.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Not sure if going from pick 17/18 to 14/15 is that much better of a spot.
I'm with you on this. Some people get so caught up in the "we aren't going to win the cup so lets sell" mantra. Strange things happen a lot in the playoffs and so what if they aren't a true cup contender. Playoff games are where young players learn and grow. Experience is big part of the equation when it comes to winning in the playoffs and initial failure is all a part of the learning process especially for a younger team.

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad