Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
The Rangers have infinity wingers both current and prospect wise and they're gonna trade from that group because it's surplus. You can't keep everyone. You can't play everyone.

Kids:
Gabe, Othmann, Edstrom, Rempe, Cuylle, Berard, Sykora

That's 7 while having your 4 top 6 wings filled (even if one is Kakko) while having useful vets like Vesey.

I think its Edstrom and probably Sykora.

I'd deal Othmann if I got a good deal. Don't think he's gonna translate.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Drury bringing in Wennberg points to adding the center depth they need as the first priority to set up the next move.

Wennberg is flexible and can also move up to play with Mika on the right if they strike out on another RW deal, but I think the hold up is they need enough room to be able to get that guy, whoever he is.

Wennberg can play a solid possession game and that would fit in well with Cuylle and Kakko if they can find that other winger. He doesnt f***ing shoot. Pass first. But he doesnt give the puck away. Its what the Rangers need, another competent forward who can play a responsible game and can move around to find the right chemistry.

That makes the forward lineup stronger and allows them have some real depth and roll 4 lines (provided they can make that move for another winger) which is what you want to do in the grind of the playoffs.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Drury bringing in Wennberg points to adding the center depth they need as the first priority to set up the next move.

Wennberg is flexible and can also move up to play with Mika on the right if they strike out on another RW deal, but I think the hold up is they need enough room to be able to get that guy, whoever he is.

Wennberg can play a solid possession game and that would fit in well with Cuylle and Kakko if they can find that other winger. That makes the forward lineup stronger and allows them have some real depth and roll 4 lines which is what you want to do in the grind of the playoffs.
I think Wennberg was the “easier” decision/move to make. The top 6 winger will require more evaluation and maneuvering

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think Wennberg was the “easier” decision/move to make. The top 6 winger will require more evaluation and maneuvering
Yeah, get this deal out of the way and try to make the money work to allow another deal with a certain set of other RWs you've identified as targets.

As Viper said, you can cast a wider net with wingers than a center. Wait until 1-2pm on Friday and the cost will fall.

Wennberg may come at a premium because its a little earlier and the center market is bare, but if they get him its good to identify a need and make it happen. Im eager to see what the cost is

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
But it’s not a middle pick! What’s being said is a 2nd rounder plus. He isn’t worth that
Unlikely you can get someone better for that 2nd rounder this TDL - and unlikely the player used with that pick will be an impact NHL player. If he is, we’re talking 3-4 years away.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The Rangers have had a massive hole at RW since the Buchnevich trade. The existence of young wingers =/= depth on the wings.
This…. But everything has a cause and effect…. NYR signing Kreider/not resigning Fast/ drafting Kakko and LaF were all factors…
They tried to replace Fast with a bigger cheaper version with better hands, PK subban ended that pretty quickly……

I haven’t posted much though I continue to read/lurk. It’s not fun having the same constant argument with the same 5 ppl.
The Rangers have had a massive hole at RW since the Buchnevich trade. The existence of young wingers =/= depth on the wings.
This…. But everything has a cause and effect…. NYR signing Kreider/not resigning Fast/ drafting Kakko and LaF were all factors…
They tried to replace Fast with a bigger cheaper version with better hands, PK subban ended that pretty quickly……

I haven’t posted much though I continue to read/lurk. It’s not fun having the same constant argument with the same 5 ppl.

I think savant mentioned it, but the trade should be our 1st + jones or Robertson for Zetterlund + Sturm….. expand to get Rutta if needed. But not much more.

Berard/Sykora/Othmann etc aren’t going to be dealt… Goodrow and his contract show the need for cheap players like that in the system.
Anyone talking about moving Goodrow/trouba/Lindgren in season is wasting their oxygen/typing

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Continued ……..
Decision will be made on Trouba this off season if Schneider can handle a top 4 role….
They likely try to move Goody, but it might cost too much tbh.

I have a feeling Lindgren will sign a 4-5 year deal at 5.5 mill per….
They may try to deal him in the middle/end of that contract but not likely before….
Most of the people wanted laF traded, wanted Panarin traded, wanted Schneider traded because he’s big but not good??? Oh yeah, and told me winning face offs don’t matter……smh

Zetterlund fits the mold of a Drury type player, in the right age bracket, with 2.4 mill deal that takes them thru next year etc.
He checks a lot of boxes.
At 24, he’s got his best 3-5 years of hockey ahead of him. The devils lost a lot of their identity when they traded let go him, Wood, etc

SJ has their 1st, Pitt 1st, and adding ours will let them go big game hunting in the offseason while still drafting solid youth that’s cost controlled.
Hertl and couture are locked in, it just makes sense. They won’t contend for another 2-3 years at least

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckLuck3043

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think the top-6 winger also has more options. That very well could be a wait and see who is available last minute for little cost
But I'm with you that it doesn't need to be a ppg kind guy. Doesnt need to be a flashy name or hot scorer like Vatrano.

They need a competent even strength player who can manage the puck and produce, but they dont have the sell the farm for it.

The defense has its warts and you arent going to be able to solve that puzzle this deadline. Deepen the team up front so you can spread out the TOI and hopefully provide a little spark to the bromance.

Even if that line and the 4th increase EV production by 15% thats a huge plus.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
But I'm with you that it doesn't need to be a ppg kind guy. Doesnt need to be a flashy name or hot scorer like Vatrano.

They need a competent even strength player who can produce, but they dont have the sell the farm for it.

The defense has its warts and you arent going to be able to solve that puzzle this deadline. Deepen the team up front so you can spread out the TOI

This. Not so much about finding the flashiest/highest profile winger, but the right one…
Panarin has played excellent all year, but tro and Lafs effort /tenacity has def rubbed off on him…
That’s the type of guy they need to get to get Mika and kreids more involved…
Mika isn’t going anywhere. At least for a while.
NYR is far better served getting him back to playing more involved they paying to find a taker and praying he waives his NMC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 2.38.14 PM.png

Duclair. 200 ft game is an issue.

I would pass unless they gave him away

Reactions: CLW and NYR Viper

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

They need a competent even strength player who can manage the puck and produce, but they dont have the sell the farm for it.

The defense has its warts and you arent going to be able to solve that puzzle this deadline. Deepen the team up front so you can spread out the TOI and hopefully provide a little spark to the bromance.

Exactly. People keep saying this and that won't move the needle. This team is already top 5 in the league. The addition of quality NHL forwards in positions of need will help a good deal more than people want to believe.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
This. Not so much about finding the flashiest/highest profile winger, but the right one…
Panarin has played excellent all year, but tro and Lafs effort /tenacity has def rubbed off on him…
That’s the type of guy they need to get to get Mika and kreids more involved…
Mika isn’t going anywhere. At least for a while.
NYR is far better served getting him back to playing more involved they paying to find a taker and praying he waives his NMC

Very good call on Trocheck and laf's grit rubbing off on Panarin in a positive way. Vesey and Wheeler didnt play that game and Kakko is still a bit of a snowflake for a big guy. Warren Foegele is not flashy but is big and pretty physical. Plays a good even strength game. If the Oilers have to move him to fit their deadline additions, hed be a good fit here and one of the few guys mentioned who Id be very happy with that isnt a conventional top 6 producer. He is young enough to extend as well.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I don't disagree, I've been pretty adamant about Robertson + middle pick

Side note -
I was reading today that Dumoulin has had a rough transition from Pittsburgh to Seattle. He signed a 2 year deal worth $3.15m last off-season so he has another year left. Would Seattle consider Wennberg + Dumoulin for Goodrow + 2nd + Robertson? Perhaps the Rangers retain a bit on Goodrow?

Agreed, paying a 2nd rounder is not a middling pick. Should be 4th and Robertson for Wennberg.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
weren't there a lot of deals going down well before the TDL last year?
I mean not even one small trade lately and we are pretty much 3 days from TDL?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I think Drury is going to try again before Friday. If the cost is Schneider+, they should pull the trigger and add Sean Walker or Matt Dumba in a separate deal. Sign Pesce of deMelo in the summer. Buffalo is a very stupid organization so they may not discuss it based on some misguided stance that they can't deal with the Rangers, but Drury should at least exhaust the possibility.
Dumba is Done-ba. He hasn't been good in 5 years. Honestly suggesting him should be ban worthy.

It's wild to see how peoples opinions are so different in here.
I disagree.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Did you happen to notice Roslovic in the games against the Jackets? He seemed to be around the puck and willing to shoot quite a bit. I wonder if Drury and Muse know him from USA hockey and if they would consider him at very little cost to play RW on that line.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Agreed, paying a 2nd rounder is not a middling pick. Should be 4th and Robertson for Wennberg.
Yeah but then there would likely be no deal because of the position he plays and especially with some retention likely. Hope you like Brodzinski in the playoffs. Teams have to trade within certain trade parameters that have been set this year. The goal is to get better within reason. You are downplaying the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad