Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
they have better options.

KAM Fox
Gus Trouba

but they are scared of the County Club bromances. but you could also argue Gus Schneider is better than Gus Trouba

Again, theyd be breaking up the one pair they have thats worked well all season in Gus/Schneider. I also think Laviolette knows Gustaffson will lose effectiveness playing top 4 minutes with a more unpredictable partner. Lindgren sucks ass this year but he has at least shown hes capable in past years.

That said Ive been vocal about needing a D-man. My top target has been Hanifin but it doesnt look like Drury is interested. A McD/Miller type trade with Ottawa for Chychrun/Pinto is the type of outside the box thinking I would love the Rangers to pursue but we'll see.

Reactions: duhmetreE

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
People here at the deadline:

'Go get the best rental, f*** it if they cost a 1st + best prospect in the organization! We have to go for it!'

People at the draft:

'Why can't the Rangers ever draft a high end talent or have good young players? When's the Rangers firs pick in the draft, #376 overall?'

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I think you're misconstruing what I am saying. I agree adding Guentzel now would be helpful. What I disagree with is that when you sign a player like Guentzel, who is likely to get 6-7 years, you have to look down the road. Guentzel isn't Panarin. Panarin was 27 when he became a UFA and you even said you're concerned as Panarin and Kreider age. What do you think will happen with Guentzel in year 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7? You have to look at what is coming and the cost/benefit of the acquisition and the long term benefit/hindrance of their cap hit.

The Rangers aren't in dire need of another wing. They just aren't.
Yes they are. 3C, 1RW, and LD help are all glaring holes at this moment.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
People here at the deadline:

'Go get the best rental, f*** it if they cost a 1st + best prospect in the organization! We have to go for it!'

People at the draft:

'Why can't the Rangers ever draft a high end talent or have good young players? When's the Rangers firs pick in the draft, #376 overall?'

Jokes on you, I dont watch the draft!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yes they are. 3C, 1RW, and LD help are all glaring holes at this moment.

The Rangers have a 1RW, his name is Alexis Lafreniere.

They could use a RW, I agree. But they don't need to pay for a ppg player to fill that hole, based on the cost to acquire them. Go get a serviceable RW. Vatrano his first go around was just a serviceable piece who fit. Find that another guy like that.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The Patrik Nemeth deal made Drury's job a bit harder for sure.
Losing two second rounders sucked.

Drury spent his first summer as GM trying to accommodate young players like Krav, Kakko & Lundkvist. His reward? Endless ridicule and the distrust of the fanbase. That's why you dont let the inmates run the asylum.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The 7th/8th d depth dman is gonna have to be bargain bin shopping. Like 5th/6th rounder kinda guy. Or a very mediocre forward prospect

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers have had a massive hole at RW since the Buchnevich trade. The existence of young wingers =/= depth on the wings.

In fairness, this is kind of what happens when you have $11.6M and $6.5m tied up on LW and then ~$14m tied up in your top-2 centers. Value additions and young players are needed to off-set the cap

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
In fairness, this is kind of what happens when you have $11.6M and $6.5m tied up on LW and then ~$14m tied up in your top-2 centers. Value additions and young players are needed to off-set the cap

Well Drury has pretty much nailed the value additions. Its the young players who have disappointed. Panarin is worth the money but our top 2 C's at a combined 14m cap hit is probably good value if you look around the league at other contenders.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The Rangers have a 1RW, his name is Alexis Lafreniere.

They could use a RW, I agree. But they don't need to pay for a ppg player to fill that hole, based on the cost to acquire them. Go get a serviceable RW. Vatrano his first go around was just a serviceable piece who fit. Find that another guy like that.
Yes but my point is they need another RW to play top 6 minutes. It's a need as are the other positions I listed. How they go about filling those needs is up for debate.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Our rebuild has produced players like Laf, Kakko, Miller, Schneider, and Chytil. It's also turned around the teams fortunes from missing the playoffs for 4 straight years to what is likely going to be a 3rd straight 105+ point season. It's really not that bad. Go ask fans of Buffalo, Columbus, Ottawa, Arizona, how their rebuilds are going.
What about my statement is inaccurate....the rebuild produced one top 6 forward. Chytil had a shot, but it's more than likely he's played his last game. Kakko is not a top 6 forward no matter how badly we need or want him to be.

Sure we're not those other teams, but we also didn't commit to a full rebuild once we signed Panarin & traded for Trouba. We're extremely fortunate Fox & Laffy fell into our lap.

Reactions: Riche16

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Whatever happens I want Edstrom on the 4th and Brodzinski sitting on Saturday. Rempemania has been great but Edstrom’s quietly done a good job on the 4th line. He doesn’t need anymore time in Hartford

They waived a veteran to give Big Ed the roster spot, I think he is safe. When(if?) the Wennberg trade goes through I think Brodzinski takes a seat. I think post deadline one of Rempe or Ed is going down so they arent a healthy scratch every night, but who knows? Lavi may want to keep the guys around to continue learning systems and NHL practice habits until the playoffs. He can always rotate them too so no one gets worn out.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Seriously. I feel like everyone has their fan fiction on the situation between Drury and Buchnevich but nothing has ever confirmed. All I know is, Buch is on the market and the Rangers need a top 6 forward who is a fit in the locker room.
It all comes down to cost. Always does.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Not sure why everyone's on the Berard train for getting dealt. Seattle's not sending scouts to Hartford and Worcester. Edstrom is the one who's been showcased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad