Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Trying To Reason With The Upcoming Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
You're right that he didn't, but I really do like RB's Horvat comparison. They both fit the mold of really good two-way centers that aren't burners, but are incredibly smart and make efficient plays to drive play for their respective teams. Horvat is trending towards being a 55-60 point C, while having really good underlying metrics to drive possession, transition, and playmaking. Some use the ROR comparison, but I see that as more of an absolute ceiling.

I disagree with the bolded, but at least he is trending upwards. Though at his age I'm not sure you can assume much further improvement.

BO.HORVAT Rel.CF. 2007-2008 - 2017-2018.png
BO.HORVAT Rel.xGF. 2007-2008 - 2017-2018.png

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Lias Andersson=Bo Horvat

Weird dynamic with the Rangers. They selected two centers in the first round in 2017. Both of them look to be ready for the NHL. The Rangers have Zibanejad and Hayes. Gorton has said management views Andersson and Chytil as centers. How is it going to work?

Zibanejad is a far superior player than Hayes. Not even close.

The Rangers are "rebuilding" but they may not have room to play one of their top young players at his natural position.

Do they want to send Andersson to the AHL instead of being the 4th line center?

Gorton said they view their young centers as centers and not wingers.

Here’s the problem. From my vantage point, Chytil would be better served playing on the wing. Put him with Kreider and Zibanejad, and I think he develops his skill set without the responsibilities of playing center. Maybe he moves back after Hayes gets moved by the deadline.

Andersson, OTOH, should be the 3rd line center. Give him Namestnikov and Fast, and he’ll be good to go for the season.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Here’s the problem. From my vantage point, Chytil would be better served playing on the wing. Put him with Kreider and Zibanejad, and I think he develops his skill set without the responsibilities of playing center. Maybe he moves back after Hayes gets moved by the deadline.

Andersson, OTOH, should be the 3rd line center. Give him Namestnikov and Fast, and he’ll be good to go for the season.
That's honestly exactly what I don't want to do with Andersson this year; put him in a primarily defensive role and stunt his offensive development.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I disagree with the bolded, but at least he is trending upwards. Though at his age I'm not sure you can assume much further improvement.

View attachment 140989 View attachment 140991
I should’ve elaborated on that part more. He’s still improved year-to-year as a possession driver, even on terrible Canucks teams. I’m sure people will say that he’s carried by Boeser, but Horvat actually makes him a much better player. If you look at his shot assists and passing stats, he’s gone from the 74th and 52nd percentile for percentage of on-ice shot contributions and the weighting of the primary shot contributions on likelihood of becoming goals and assists to 92nd and 99th percentiles.

His transition stats have increased similarly. I see Lias trending in a similar direction with his style of play and on-ice impacts. He has that rare ability to dominate in 1v1 battles in tight areas on the ice and play with pace.

Someone just needs to get him to a skating coach to fix that busted ass stride because he’s wasting so much energy with how inefficient of a skater he is.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I don't think our third line is primarily a defensive role, though.
Playing with Fast and Namestnikov it probably would be. Neither player have shown that they can create their own offence at the NHL level, though both have shown they can ride along with good offensive players without dragging them down offensively and push possession (Carl Hagelin was elite at this).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Playing with Fast and Namestnikov it probably would be. Neither player have shown that they can create their own offence at the NHL level, though both have shown they can ride along with good offensive players without dragging them down offensively and push possession (Carl Hagelin was elite at this).

I don't agree with this at all. Just because they aren't going to produce a lot of points doesn't mean it would be a defensive line.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I could see:

Namestnikov-Andersson-Fast

As an absolutely elite 3rd line.

Kreider-Zib-Buch

_____-Hayes-Zuccarello

Spooner?
If we're going with that 3rd line then:

Spooner-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kreider-Hayes-Zuccarello

Spooner-Hayes-Zuccarello would get murdered possession-wise.

Also if we're playing Fast in the top-9 then Chytil is in the AHL or Spooner on the 4th line. Since Spooner looked legit with Zibanejad and has done extremely well in a similar role in the past (with Debrusk-Krejci) I think he should stay there.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If we're going with that 3rd line then:

Spooner-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kreider-Hayes-Zuccarello

Spooner-Hayes-Zuccarello would get murdered possession-wise.

Also if we're playing Fast in the top-9 then Chytil is in the AHL or Spooner on the 4th line. Since Spooner looked legit with Zibanejad and has done extremely well in a similar role in the past (with Debrusk-Krejci) I think he should stay there.

That's fair about Spooner. I just HATE Hayes with Kreider

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I could see:

Kreider-Zib-Buch

_____-Hayes-Zuccarello

Spooner?

I'd put Chytil on that wing to be honest. I think he's good enough to be in the NHL, but if we put Spooner there there's no room. Quinn's got some tough decisions ahead.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd put Chytil on that wing to be honest. I think he's good enough to be in the NHL, but if we put Spooner there there's no room. Quinn's got some tough decisions ahead.

I have a hard time seeing either Sooner or Namestnikov on the 4th line making $4m a season. Maybe in a pinch if they need a center but not every night.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
K-Z-B
?-?-?
?-?-?
Meskanen-?-Fast
Vesey

The real questions are the question marks for the middle six. I say split up Zuccarello and Hayes, put one rookie with each and one of Spooner and Namestnikov with each. Both should not play center. If Gorton insists on this, he's creating roster problems for his team. I'd put Chytil at center with Zuccarello and Spooner. We want Chytil to be putting up high point totals. Andersson can start on the wing on the shutdown line with Hayes and Namestnikov. Transition him to center at the deadline when Hayes is traded. Why does he need to play center right away?

Reactions: HintHI

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hey guys , Leafs fan in peace.
How many pts do you guys see Buch putting up this season?
Thanks.
I'd say at least 50. Don't see more than 60, but it's really unknown since the coaching change throws everything up in the air.

That being said, Quinn seemingly saw super excited, in interviews, to work with Buchnevich.

So I'd expect him to get some serious ice time at even strength and PP.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I could see:

Kreider-Zib-Buch

_____-Hayes-Zuccarello

Spooner?

Chytil 100% should be in the NHL this year. I’d move Hayes to wing before having Chytil start in Hartford.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So then it's an offensive line that doesn't score?

30-35 points from each third liner isn't altogether below average, and that's about what you could expect from that unit.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
One obvious thing is that there's a lot of flexibility with this forward group. The group is not great but it is definitely 4 lines deep enough to start the season compared to what the Rangers were icing toward the later part of last season.

I think it's even more difficult to figure out defense. I wouldn't even mind if they went 7 D / 11 F to give a spot for all 4 RD.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
One obvious thing is that there's a lot of flexibility with this forward group. The group is not great but it is definitely 4 lines deep enough to start the season compared to what the Rangers were icing toward the later part of last season.

I think it's even more difficult to figure out defense. I wouldn't even mind if they went 7 D / 11 F to give a spot for all 4 RD.

I actually really like this idea. We could keep the 4 centers at their position and give all deserving D a chance to play.

Kreider - Zib - Buch
Spoons - Chytil - Zucc
Names - Hayes - Fast
Andersson - Vesey

Skjei - DeAngelo
Smith - Shattenkirk
Staal - Pionk
McQuaid

Hank
Geo

Claesson
Nieves