Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Trying To Reason With The Upcoming Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Then that’s on the coach and it’s even more concerning. That’s sending a message that we are going to continue to turn the other cheek.

It also makes zero sense to sign a guy that can’t play a lick of Hockey then have one of your guys head almost removed and not put him on the ice to do something about it.
If you actually read any post-game material, you know this isn't true.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You know, it’s also possible that Quinn wasn’t looking for someone to go out there and jump a player on the opposing team, so much as he was looking for his guys to step up and declare, “Nope, not gonna happen” and assert themselves.

In other words, “Okay, no penalty on the play. That’s fine. And now here’s two immediate receipts right back at you.”

But as others have said, it’s going to take time. I wish it came instantly to this roster, obviously it doesn’t.

Last edited:

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This article is extremely inorganic. Smells like uncle Larry trying to push an agenda and get clicks. While everyone is focusing on Quinn's evaluation of the players, systems, and ability to coach at the NHL level, Brooks is writing about what Quinn wants from his team in terms of punching faces and retaliation. Quinn wasn't irked. If Quinn was irked, Larry would have said "Quinn flabbergasted by lack of response" Quinn answered the question very cleanly and even keeled: Let the league decide. It happened very fast, the players didn't have time to react etc. Larry is giving David a taste of journalistic piss balloon.

Reactions: Ail

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
People actually want Kreider to drop the drops to fight Eric Gryba in preseason over an illegal shit happens hit to the head?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

This has been an issue for a decade. Largely evidenced when Henrik of all people got clobbered sending his helmet I to next week. Zero response then so why would Boo(a 4th liner) get any response?

I love that Quinn mentioned is was addressed. I would do the same. Those comment to me indicate that Quinn had a say in getting McQaid.

They came back and won the game which was great. But Boo suffered another concussion. It's preseason. Should have been addressed immediately from the players on the ice. Not too many other clubs would have let that fly.

Reactions: Avery16

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This has been an issue for a decade. Largely evidenced when Henrik of all people got clobbered sending his helmet I to next week. Zero response then so why would Boo(a 4th liner) get any response?

I love that Quinn mentioned is was addressed. I would do the same. Those comment to me indicate that Quinn had a say in getting McQaid.

They came back and won the game which was great. But Boo suffered another concussion. It's preseason. Should have been addressed immediately from the players on the ice. Not too many other clubs would have let that fly.

The coach at the time would get on players for being the box and messing up his match-ups for the game. He didn't like having to adjust in-game. To his credit, he would make calls and adjustments prior to games, and prep the right way, but was never a fan of adjusting in game, or having to kill a penalty for a retaliation. That Lundqvist hit to the head, and the vegetative response after was when I was done with AV.

You can't have that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
People actually want Kreider to drop the drops to fight Eric Gryba in preseason over an illegal **** happens hit to the head?

Personally, I would’ve preferred this team respond with some clean, assertive hits and a fire under their ass.

If that leads to a fight, so be it. But I would’ve preferred the response be immediately noticeable.

I know some people give the McLeod and McQ moves grief. And the truth is that some of it is warranted.

But there’s also an element of truth that this team is a pillow too many nights.

I’m not even talking about dropping the gloves. The reality is that the two fellas we mentioned above will do that a combined 15 times? Maybe 20?

I’m talking about a mentality that won’t be intimidated and won’t be pushed out of a game. Fighting is not mutually exclusive to that concept. That concept might, by its direction, lead to more fights. But it’s not the goal.

The goal is to assert ones presence out there in many different forms and styles - checking, pushing the play, being a PITA along the boards and in the corners, chirping, driving, driving, driving, etc.

It’s not a foreign concept. We’ve all been to games where a player gets hit and his team comes out there and has an obvious bug up their ass. That doesn’t necessitate a fight, but it damn well sends a message and you see/feel it immediately.

But it’s been so long since we’ve seen that from this team that we’ve almost forgotten that it’s possible. It doesn’t have to be a debate about fighting and enforcers and ice time and whatever other bullshit we want to turn it into.

We know what the hell the response should look like.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
The coach at the time would get on players for being the box and messing up his match-ups for the game. He didn't like having to adjust in-game. To his credit, he would make calls and adjustments prior to games, and prep the right way, but was never a fan of adjusting in game, or having to kill a penalty for a retaliation. That Lundqvist hit to the head, and the vegetative response after was when I was done with AV.

You can't have that.

I think it was a combo of AV and a lack of players that would truly play for each other.

I was also done with AV at that point.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think it was a combo of AV and a lack of players that would truly play for each other.

I was also done with AV at that point.

That wasn't the case from 2016 on. There were signs from the 2014 team as well. There was a core of guys that did not like how a certain someone domineered the locker room, from the music being played to policing the room, but it was different after the MSL trade. I would say it was during the 15-16 season when you the camaraderie of guys that went to bat for one another.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

You can't have that.
Trust us, we know. :laugh:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Pretty simple you send Mcleod out as soon as you see gryba back on the ice to answer. It’s a friggen preseason game means nothing. That would have sent a message right away.

What we saw was a continuation of AV passiveness

RonaldNeptune

Nov 13, 2017
Personally, I would’ve preferred this team respond with some clean, assertive hits and a fire under their ass.

This is the type of response I would have expected, but I’m not sure we have the one or two guys who realizes what it means to play a role and set the tone...disappointed but hopefully this lights a fire under someone’s ass

Reactions: Rongomania

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Pretty simple you send Mcleod out as soon as you see gryba back on the ice to answer. It’s a friggen preseason game means nothing. That would have sent a message right away.
What we saw was a continuation of AV passiveness

Did you had high hopes for Nieves and a role for him in this year camp with our current depth chart?
I believe Quinn nailed it in his last interview when he said we responded to win the game in OT while we were behind the whole game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

If that leads to a fight, so be it. But I would’ve preferred the response be immediately noticeable.

I know some people give the McLeod and McQ moves grief. And the truth is that some of it is warranted.

But there’s also an element of truth that this team is a pillow too many nights.

I’m not even talking about dropping the gloves. The reality is that the two fellas we mentioned above will do that a combined 15 times? Maybe 20?

I’m talking about a mentality that won’t be intimidated and won’t be pushed out of a game. Fighting is not mutually exclusive to that concept. That concept might, by its direction, lead to more fights. But it’s not the goal.

The goal is to assert ones presence out there in many different forms and styles - checking, pushing the play, being a PITA along the boards and in the corners, chirping, driving, driving, driving, etc.

It’s not a foreign concept. We’ve all been to games where a player gets hit and his team comes out there and has an obvious bug up their ass. That doesn’t necessitate a fight, but it damn well sends a message and you see/feel it immediately.

But it’s been so long since we’ve seen that from this team that we’ve almost forgotten that it’s possible. It doesn’t have to be a debate about fighting and enforcers and ice time and whatever other bull**** we want to turn it into.

We know what the hell the response should look like.
So....much....this.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Did you had high hopes for Nieves and a role for him in this year camp with our current depth chart?
I believe Quinn nailed it in his last interview when he said we responded to win the game in OT while we were behind the whole game.

Doesn’t matter who it was! That’s ridiculous

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well I don`t know why they are so passive @Kovalev27 - hopefully they figure it out as a team, but you have a point it doesn`t matter who it is.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
If we are doing this, can we also credit AV when we win the Cup in 2-3 years? Or are previous coaches only held accountable for negative **** after they leave?
I'm not getting your reasoning here.

Other guy says that the AV passiveness leaks over to this first preseason game since he left. That makes sense. It's the first game since AV has left.

Why would we give credit to AV 2 or 3 years down the road if the team was successful and won something?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
People actually want Kreider to drop the drops to fight Eric Gryba in preseason over an illegal **** happens hit to the head?
It would be fine with me. And better in a preseason game than a regular season one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad