Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Trying To Reason With The Upcoming Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Eeeh. Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello was a dominant (and sheltered) line in 2010-11. Then Torts broke it up for some reason and benched Zuccarello for the playoffs (with poor results mind you). Then he sent Zucc down for not putting up points on the 4th line in 2011-12.

Sure. I also remember the GAS line (Gaborik, Anisimov, Stepan) which was lights out for a short span. But it didn't work long term. What did work long term was the Brazzuccapoo line in 2013-14. That's when Zuccarello finally put it all together.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Sure. I also remember the GAS line (Gaborik, Anisimov, Stepan) which was lights out for a short span. But it didn't work long term. What did work long term was the Brazzuccapoo line in 2013-14. That's when Zuccarello finally put it all together.
GAS was in 11-12 and Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello wasn't merely a good line, it was the best line the Rangers have put out there since 2007-08 in terms of on-ice results.

I'm trying to provide a Corsica link to support my claim, but it seems like I crashed Manny's server with my query. But they outscored the opposition 11-2 and had an xGF% of 70+ in their 200 5v5 minutes, which is a decent sample for a line (for reference, KZB played 260 minutes in 17-18).

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Nothing Torts does works long term

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Or... Just send 2 to Hartford since a bunch are waiver exempt
This is the easiest route, but Pionk looks ready and you don’t reward players that have put the work in by burying them bc of contract considerations. Not only that, we do have too much third pair depth and most of them do have to pass through waivers: Smith, McQuaid, Claesson, ADA. OGara is waivers exempt, but he doesn’t exactly bring much to Hartford nor is there much expectation that he could improve his game. Gilmour should start in Hartford. I think a move is made, and they will try to get Pionk in.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If I were Jeff Gorton, I would be looking at Brendan Lemieux from Winnipeg. If he is appearing to be starting the season in the AHL, I would get on the phone with Chevy and see what can be done to add him to this group. If Quinn wants this team to add some sandpaper and play with a bit of an edge, he would be ideal. He can play the game and stir the pot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If I were Jeff Gorton, I would be looking at Brendan Lemieux from Winnipeg. If he is appearing to be starting the season in the AHL, I would get on the phone with Chevy and see what can be done to add him to this group. If Quinn wants this team to add some sandpaper and play with a bit of an edge, he would be ideal. He can play the game and stir the pot.
Is he related to Claude?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is he related to Claude?

He plays a style like Roussel, Avery, Wilson. Plays a big man's, physical game and can make plays with the puck. But he also is a PIA to play against. I think he will get blocked in Winnipeg and I doubt they will want to live through some of his growing pains (maturing). I think he'd be perfect for this team

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
After Brodeur's son and potentially Lemieux' kid, why don't we go all out and see if we can sign someone else whose dad we hate. What is Potvin's kid up to these days?
Or what about that shoe slapping Guy, mullberry or whatever his lousy name was... I am sure Mr Quinn has some nice drills they could run on His kids during practice

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Or what about that shoe slapping Guy, mullberry or whatever his lousy name was... I am sure Mr Quinn has some nice drills they could run on His kids during practice

I wish we could live in a world where we'd ask the question "I wonder what that asshole Mike Milbury is up to these days?" but no... We have to live in a world where his ugly face is on TV every day

Reactions: TheTakedown

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hated Claude with the fiery passion of 1k suns.
Oh yeah, he was a real bastard. Dirty as f***, too. I mean it was a different time, but still.

That said, I would gladly take a player like him, minus the biting and boarding leading to reconstructive facial surgery, etc. Claude Lemieux, but slightly sanitized. I would love that. Dude always showed up in the playoffs, too. Scored at a better clip in the playoffs than the regular season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Oh yeah, he was a real bastard. Dirty as ****, too. I mean it was a different time, but still.

That said, I would gladly take a player like him, minus the biting and boarding leading to reconstructive facial surgery, etc. Claude Lemieux, but slightly sanitized. I would love that. Dude always showed up in the playoffs, too. Scored at a better clip in the playoffs than the regular season.

Yep, I'm ready for this team to be more difficult to play against consistently.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Haven't had an extended look at Lemieux in a while. How's his skating coming along? I remember seeing him a few years back and it was a bit rough.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Would anyone trade Marc Staal for Brandon Dubinsky? Dubinsky makes $5.85m over the next 3 years, Staal makes $5.7m. Dubinsky seemed to have some health issues last year. Perhaps he is a LTIR candidate? Or perhaps he would be a nice 3rd line winger?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Would anyone trade Marc Staal for Brandon Dubinsky? Dubinsky makes $5.85m over the next 3 years, Staal makes $5.7m. Dubinsky seemed to have some health issues last year. Perhaps he is a LTIR candidate? Or perhaps he would be a nice 3rd line winger?

At this point, Staal might be more worth the contract than Dubinsky is, as unfortunate as that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad