Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Trying To Reason With The Upcoming Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Guys, I'll make a bold prediction, and remember I really, really like The Kravtsov pick a lot. Tkachuk, in the best league in the world, will get more points than Kravs this year.
Not saying you are wrong, but the fair approach is to ignore secondary assists. Brady is going to get some prime opportunity.

Reactions: egelband

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
This organization has a strong recent history of taking US kids in the first, hired a Northeast college coach, and had wahlstrom sitting there for the taking. Lots of indicators to think they would go towards a Tkachuk/Wahlstrom direction but they went eastern European forward. I think the rangers targeted someone and got him. We will never know for sure since Brady was gone.
I think their drafting philosophy has changed under Gorton in terms of what they’re looking for.

Also (not necessarily directed at you) what’s being left out of this “they would’ve taken Tkachuk” discussion is that they said multiple times before the draft that they weren’t interested in trading up because they felt like their guy would be there, that’s a pretty huge piece of evidence to back up that Kravtsov was the #2 forward on their list

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Guys, I'll make a bold prediction, and remember I really, really like The Kravtsov pick a lot. Tkachuk, in the best league in the world, will get more points than Kravs this year.

You're saying the Tckachuk will get more points in the NHL than Kravs will in the KHL this year? NHL plays 82 games. KHL plays 60.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You're saying the Tckachuk will get more points in the NHL than Kravs will in the KHL this year? NHL plays 82 games. KHL plays 60.

I doubt he knows this. It reminds me of someone on HFNYR who criticized Panarin for only hitting 62 points in the KHL because players should be at least a point-per-game player in the KHL to make it in the NHL :laugh:

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I doubt he knows this. It reminds me of someone on HFNYR who criticized Panarin for only hitting 62 points in the KHL because players should be at least a point-per-game player in the KHL to make it in the NHL :laugh:
Amazing, I'm not one of those idiots you're referring to, your many travels are affecting you...I know they play less games in the KHL and on top of it, Kravs will most likely play even less games, since he'll be in the WJC, which I doubt Tkachuk will be in (I think he should).
Let's pro rate their production to Pts/GP. Like I said, the NHL is a much better league and he will be playing with a crappy team/teammates, and will be targeted by the opposition.
Like I said, I really like Kravtsov and think he can become an impact player for us. Fact is however, that Tkachuk will be playing in the NHL this year and Kravtsov won't, even if he would have been able to, he would be AHL bound to work on his game, which is perfectly OK for an 18 yr old.
The point I've been trying to say all along, and it was brought up in another thread, is that people are not objective when rating/judging our prospects, we seem to lose all objectivity. Both these guys are great prospects with bright futures and careers ahead of them. They bring different tools to the table and all I said is, I think if they had the choice between the two, the decision wouldn't be so easy, no matter what anybody says.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Amazing, I'm not one of those idiots you're referring to, your many travels are affecting you...I know they play less games in the KHL and on top of it, Kravs will most likely play even less games, since he'll be in the WJC, which I doubt Tkachuk will be in (I think he should).
Let's pro rate their production to Pts/GP. Like I said, the NHL is a much better league and he will be playing with a crappy team/teammates, and will be targeted by the opposition.
Like I said, I really like Kravtsov and think he can become an impact player for us. Fact is however, that Tkachuk will be playing in the NHL this year and Kravtsov won't, even if he would have been able to, he would be AHL bound to work on his game, which is perfectly OK for an 18 yr old.
The point I've been trying to say all along, and it was brought up in another thread, is that people are not objective when rating/judging our prospects, we seem to lose all objectivity. Both these guys are great prospects with bright futures and careers ahead of them. They bring different tools to the table and all I said is, I think if they had the choice between the two, the decision wouldn't be so easy, no matter what anybody says.

If you're going to compare production, let's use P/60. But even then, it's really difficult to make comparisons because Tkachuk in Ottawa and Kravtsov in Chelyabinsk will have different roles on the team, will have different zone-starts etc. But why are we comparing Tkachuk to Kravtsov anyway? Because they are completely different players as well. Nobody is really objective because even the most "objective" people will subconsciously look at certain players with certain expectations. I can honestly say I was a fan of Kravtsov before we drafted him. I wanted us to draft him at 8 (before we dropped a spot in the lottery) and as a fan, I was surprised to hear several teams had him in their top-10 and one team had him in their top-5 prior to the draft.

The 2018 calendar year for Kravtsov was better than any other prospect in the draft, with his call-up for the senior team, his stint in the VHL during the Olympics and then the KHL play offs. His stock was rising all season and looking at what the Rangers did last year, it makes sense. They picked 2 guys in 2017 in the first round who were also rising. Andersson was great for HV71 and one of their standouts during the SHL playoffs, while Chytil made a name for himself at the junior internationals after a pro-season in Zlin. I saw Chytil and Andersson play in Pardubice last April and they were noticeable which is great for teenagers at that stage (EHT).

Speaking of travel, I was merely referring to the previous post that mentioned the difference in total games. The traveling isn't affecting me, don't worry. Speaking of, I am off to bed. I am flying to Helsinki in the morning to see our kid Kravtsov play against Jokerit tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Tkachuk was taken at 4OA, five picks before NYR had their first selection. Why are we making comparisons as if Tkachuk was even an option?

Reactions: Savant

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Why will he be targeted? Because of his mouth and won't know when to shut it? It certainly wont be because he is some sort of offensive threat this season.

Last edited:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
there goes all of that trade value. If they knew how fragile this guy is, why didn't they trade him at the deadline or at the draft?

Yeah Zibanejad is a bit of a concern, hopefully he will be better this season. He's our top center, if he fails we're toast.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Agree 100%, but if the organization is looking to play a specific style, that is being preached by the head coach in training camp, and you have the opportunity to select a consensus top 5 pick who plays that style, I'm not so sure the coach's input has zero weight.
Reasonable speculation. Not sure why folks are so upset. As you say, we don’t know if they might have preferred someone else but we hope our guys better

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Tkachuk was taken at 4OA, five picks before NYR had their first selection. Why are we making comparisons as if Tkachuk was even an option?
One fellow says the Rangers would have taken Tkachuk were he available. And then many others got upset and the lame fireworks began.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Termination of his contract would allow them to sign him to his ELC, correct? He'd be a huge boost to Hartford and most likely the 3LD before this season is over.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Termination of his contract would allow them to sign him to his ELC, correct? He'd be a huge boost to Hartford and most likely the 3LD before this season is over.

Yes. Contract termination would mean he's free to sign in NA. Different from a buy out (player's decision), a contract termination (club's decision or mutual) doesn't cost the player anything. There is no penalty for the player in the case of contract termination

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Is it possible for a KHL club to loan a player to an AHL club? The opposite of what we did with Beargloves last year?

If the KHL is able to call him back incase of a serious injury streak on their main players this could be a good situation for all parts in this case.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
This isn’t the best year for Rykov to come over. Would have to beat out at least Lindgren and Hajek for a spot. If they all go to hartford, he’d have to outperform them to stand out before next season. From what little I’ve read on Rykov, he’s not as ready as those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad