Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Trying To Reason With The Upcoming Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I have some hope for the future.

I think a guy like McQ would make his presence known, even if his gloves stay on.

I think Andersson is the type of guy who, as he gets comfortable, will give a receipt and light a fire.

I think guys like Howden and especially Lindgren have that type of mentality.

I'd like to see a guy like Kreider walk that line a little.

Again, I'm not talking about going out and starting a brawl or taking stupid penalties. But when a 6'3, 220 pound player comes at you with a lot of speed and a chip on his shoulder, it backs the other team up a bit. There are very few defenders in the NHL who are going to welcome a pissed off Chris Kreider deciding he's going to go straight to the net and create some havoc in close.

Brendan Smith, flaws and all, contract aside, has shown himself to be that type of player as well. Obviously we have to see if he can work himself back into the NHL.

So there are some pieces in place. Now we see if they come together.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

I think a guy like McQ would make his presence known, even if his gloves stay on.

I think Andersson is the type of guy who, as he gets comfortable, will give a receipt and light a fire.

Again, I'm not talking about going out and starting a brawl or taking stupid penalties. But when a 6'3, 220 pound player comes at you with a lot of speed and a chip on his shoulder, it backs the other team up a bit. There are very few defenders in the NHL who are going to welcome a pissed off Chris Kreider deciding he's going to go straight to the net and create some havoc in close.

Brendan Smith, flaws and all, contract aside, has shown himself to be that type of player as well. Obviously we have to see if he can work himself back into the NHL.

I think DeAngelo, while small, wouldn't think twice about crossing a line in retaliation if he was comfortable with his spot in the lineup. I can't shake the image of Theo Fleury from my mind when I think of DeAngelo.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think DeAngelo, while small, wouldn't think twice about crossing a line in retaliation if he was comfortable with his spot in the lineup. I can't shake the image of Theo Fleury from my mind when I think of DeAngelo.

He's another one who can play with a chip on his shoulder.

The key word I use is assertiveness. It's making your presence known, working to dictate the flow of play, playing with energy and focus, almost daring the other team to get on your bad side.

It's not limited to physicality. You know the difference between Chytil in 2018 vs. 2017? He gets into a mindset where he almost dares you to step up and challenge him.

Watch a guy like Andersson --- he's not a glove dropper. But he plays with an edge that asks, "Okay, whatcha got?"

You know who I begrudgingly admire for that trait? Claude Giroux.

Reactions: Cag29 and NYR Viper

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I am getting more and more comfortable with trading Hayes. By the end of the year I don’t see why we can’t go with these guys down the middle.

Zibanejad
Chytil
Andersson
Howden
Nieves

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I am getting more and more comfortable with trading Hayes. By the end of the year I don’t see why we can’t go with these guys down the middle.

Zibanejad
Chytil
Andersson
Howden
Nieves
Aside from having his third concussion right now, I think Nieves had a brutal game on Monday and doesn't stand a chance to play for this team sitting behind Chytil Lias Howden and Fontaine.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Aside from having his third concussion right now, I think Nieves had a brutal game on Monday and doesn't stand a chance to play for this team sitting behind Chytil Lias Howden and Fontaine.
He did not have a brutal game, some bad plays stick out for sure but he also had some good plays that could've looked better if not for a bad bounce. Boo can also easily slide to wing and play competent 4th line C or wing, pk minutes. He's better that Fontaine at this point for that depth role and Howden needs to be playing to 6, pp, pk minutes in Hartford to start. Plus since he's now injured it doesn't matter but Fontaine and Howden need to play. We know Boo is at best a 4th liner depth guy at this point.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Expect Fontaine to be the player we think Nieves is. At least, that's been my impression every time I've seen him play, including when Nieves has also been in the lineup.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

Beleskey too

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

Andersson reminds me of Mike Richards. I could see him being the next captain in a year or 2.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Lias Andersson=Bo Horvat

Weird dynamic with the Rangers. They selected two centers in the first round in 2017. Both of them look to be ready for the NHL. The Rangers have Zibanejad and Hayes. Gorton has said management views Andersson and Chytil as centers. How is it going to work?

Zibanejad is a far superior player than Hayes. Not even close.

The Rangers are "rebuilding" but they may not have room to play one of their top young players at his natural position.

Do they want to send Andersson to the AHL instead of being the 4th line center?

Gorton said they view their young centers as centers and not wingers.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Lias Andersson=Bo Horvat

Weird dynamic with the Rangers. They selected two centers in the first round in 2017. Both of them look to be ready for the NHL. The Rangers have Zibanejad and Hayes. Gorton has said management views Andersson and Chytil as centers. How is it going to work?

The Rangers are "rebuilding" but they may not have room to play one of their top young players at his natural position.

Quinn will have options. Good problem to have considering it is likely a short term one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ori

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Lias Andersson=Bo Horvat

Horvat never showed the same scoring prowess as Andersson did pre-NHL, I'd be disappointed if Andersson wound up equivalent to Horvat in the NHL.

Re: the center situation. One of the centers gets shifted to wing until Hayes is traded. Hayes might blossom in a more offensive role, but I'm skeptical at this point and would like to see him traded - but we may have to wait until the deadline to maximize the return.

The Habs have been desperate for a big scoring center, trade him for Gallagher? (this would've been easier before we re-upped his contract)

Reactions: Bozle

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Horvat never showed the same scoring prowess as Andersson did pre-NHL, I'd be disappointed if Andersson wound up equivalent to Horvat in the NHL.

Re: the center situation. One of the centers gets shifted to wing until Hayes is traded. Hayes might blossom in a more offensive role, but I'm skeptical at this point and would like to see him traded - but we may have to wait until the deadline to maximize the return.

The Habs have been desperate for a big scoring center, trade him for Gallagher? (this would've been easier before we re-upped his contract)
You're right that he didn't, but I really do like RB's Horvat comparison. They both fit the mold of really good two-way centers that aren't burners, but are incredibly smart and make efficient plays to drive play for their respective teams. Horvat is trending towards being a 55-60 point C, while having really good underlying metrics to drive possession, transition, and playmaking. Some use the ROR comparison, but I see that as more of an absolute ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad