Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Trying To Reason With The Upcoming Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

The teams that win Stanley Cups have elite players. I think its pretty clear that we have none of them in the organization other than the goalie, and obviously the goalie can't be named captain, even if he is.

If we don't draft an elite player in the next draft or two, and therefore someone like Kreider, Andersson, Skjei, Buchnevich, Zibanejad is named captain, this team will not be a Cup contender due to a lack of or any elite skaters. None of the non-elite guys are so far ahead that we should be rushing to name them captain. If we draft an elite guy in the next draft or two, they'll very likely be the captain.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
In football they change captains every game
Most baseball teams don’t even have captains
No clue about basketball
Yet somehow in hockey the captain is this critical role?

Reactions: TheTakedown

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
LA won a Cup with Dustin Brown as their captain. Who the captain is, will not determine whether or not we win a cup

You have to take our circumstance for what it is. Their's was different.

LA was in a rush to name a captain after the last one left in free agency. Brown was coming off a season where he had over 30 goals and 60 points. Doughty was out of consideration because he hadn't even played an NHL game. Kopitar could've been picked, but he had about half of the time in the league that Brown did.

We are in no rush. Andersson hasn't accomplished anything. He hasn't even made the NHL yet on a consistent basis. None of the other guys are anything like captains. As far as I can find, they barely even wore letters anywhere in their careers.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The teams that win Stanley Cups have elite players. I think its pretty clear that we have none of them in the organization other than the goalie, and obviously the goalie can't be named captain, even if he is.

If we don't draft an elite player in the next draft or two, and therefore someone like Kreider, Andersson, Skjei, Buchnevich, Zibanejad is named captain, this team will not be a Cup contender due to a lack of or any elite skaters. None of the non-elite guys are so far ahead that we should be rushing to name them captain. If we draft an elite guy in the next draft or two, they'll very likely be the captain.

They can have elite players who dont wear a C or even a letter.

The C doesnt always go to the best player.

Kings win not 1 but 2 cups with Brown as their captain.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'd agree with the tbh. We're not gonna contend for a cup, even in the most optimistic of scenarios, for at least another 3 seasons beyond this. Probably closer to 5 tho. And again, that's being very optimistic.

Define "contend". There are obviously a lot of variables to consider but, remember, NYR is always a destination of choice for nearly any RFA/UFA with input into the matter. The truth is that the Rangers will be contenders as soon as their management puts together the right plan to get them there. That could be next season, that could be in 10 seasons. 6% of the NHL "contends" every year if making the Final is your definition of contending.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Best players dont make the best captains.

Leaders make the best captains

Leetch was our best player, a **** captain

McD was our best player, **** captain

I'd stay away from the concept of the best player should be captain.

But that's just me

I dont even know that this is true.

I think letters in general are overrated. OV's leadership was called into question a ton until he finally hoisted the cup. Did he magically become a better leader over night or what it just a function of the rest of his team finally getting the job done?

Now there are certain guys on this roster that I'd never want wearing the C for various reasons, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

If however, you are looking for someone who has all the qualities you'd typically want in a captain, Lias is your guy.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I made a prediction. I've been wrong many times before, but I doubt I'll be wrong about this one.

So you turned a conversation about who should get the C next into another opportunity for you to tell us all how we don't have elite talent?

I mean I don't see how the two are connected. You could have at least waited until someone mentioned something about how close the roster is before interjecting that into the conversation for the 800th time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Our circumstance is that we are in year 1 of a rebuild and that it has nothing to do with what you're suggesting. And whoever is the captain doesn't have to be an elite player. Maybe Jesper Fast is the captain who hoists the cup in 2022 for us.

Anyone could be named captain, but if this team acquires an elite young talent, they will eventually be the captain. If we were going to name Fast, Kreider, any of those players as captain, I think they would've been named captain this season. They've all spent enough time in the NHL. The GM and coach don't feel like the captain is on the team.

None of the players not on the team, but in the organization would have much of a leg up on a real elite talent we drafted from 2019 or 2020 when it comes to the NHL.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
In football they change captains every game
Most baseball teams don’t even have captains
No clue about basketball
Yet somehow in hockey the captain is this critical role?

leadership is what matters...sewing a piece of material on the jersey does not

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Lias, Howden, and Lindgren, for example, are by all accounts exactly what teams look for in a captain, on ice play literally does not matter, as long as the player is at least dressed every night.

Name Tanner f***ing Glass captain if that's the right decision for that locker room, it really makes no difference.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So you turned a conversation about who should get the C next into another opportunity for you to tell us all how we don't have elite talent?

I mean I don't see how the two are connected. You could have at least waited until someone mentioned something about how close the roster is before interjecting that into the conversation for the 800th time.

Actually, I was responding to the discussion about the next captain. I gave my opinion. I didn't quote anyone's post or direct it towards anyone in particular. I said nothing about the talent on the team at that point.

You objected to what I said, so I elaborated to account for the possibility that we don't have any elite talents, and the captain goes to the best intangibles on the team. If you would've liked, I could've not responded to your Andersson-related objection, but I don't see the reason to not be transparent on that point. You wanted a further explanation, which you disagree with. Not my problem if you don't like my opinion. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad