Speculation: Roster Building Thread: New Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Respectfully disagree- NYR need to make every penny count over the next 3 seasons.

How are we going to keep Miller, Chytil, and other players looking at cap raises without trimming some of the fat?

I can tell you I’d rather buy out Goodrow than trade Lindgren like some people here suggested. With our defensive depth?

If Kreider regresses to the mean this season I think he’s candidate number one to be moved, but failing that the money to keep Chytil and Miller needs to come from somewhere.

Dead money is the epitome of NOT making every penny count

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
And thats just not a realistic concept. Almost all contenders have some level of dead cap.

Define "dead cap". Is that just buyouts or including IR like the Avalanche are currently doing?

Buyouts are poison for a ceiling team like the Rangers. I don't want 10M in dead cap in the future because we'll be in the same position all over again - ie... contracts will scale to the cap (contracts offered will go up because the cap does) and the Rangers are going to go through this same shit again.

No cap penalty effectively the first three seasons, which is where money will be tightest.

No, it just pushes the problem down the road where, again, you can't find the money to sign a player because you're paying somebody not to play for SIX YEARS. No thanks. Figure it out some other way.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Define "dead cap". Is that just buyouts or including IR like the Avalanche are currently doing?

Buyouts are poison for a ceiling team like the Rangers. I don't want 10M in dead cap in the future because we'll be in the same position all over again - ie... contracts will scale to the cap (contracts offered will go up because the cap does) and the Rangers are going to go through this same shit again.

No, it just pushes the problem down the road where, again, you can't find the money to sign a player because you're paying somebody not to play for SIX YEARS. No thanks. Figure it out some other way.
It does push it somewhat down the line. But you can also use that space to lock young kids up, to free up space so we don't have to bridge.

The problem we had in 14-19 was we had to do bridge deals for younger players, so we couldn't extend 8 year deals to the guys who absolutely deserved them.

CK at 8 years wouldve been a steal, mika at 8 years would've been perfect.
So we bridged or bought out 1 year of UFA.

Im not fully sold on buying out goodrow , but if buying him out lets us lock up chytil, laf and miller for 6-8 years each? I dont even hesitate.
Those are the deals that propel a team to a stanley cup.

Reactions: leetch99

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It does push it somewhat down the line. But you can also use that space to lock young kids up, to free up space so we don't have to bridge.

The problem we had in 14-19 was we had to do bridge deals for younger players, so we couldn't extend 8 year deals to the guys who absolutely deserved them.

CK at 8 years wouldve been a steal, mika at 8 years would've been perfect.
So we bridged or bought out 1 year of UFA.

Im not fully sold on buying out goodrow , but if buying him out lets us lock up chytil, laf and miller for 6-8 years each? I dont even hesitate.
Those are the deals that propel a team to a stanley cup.

Goodrow's 3.5M doesn't address those contracts if we're talking that kind of term. That money simply isn't there unless one of the NMC's gets cleared out.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Looking way too far ahead but heres what I would do if I were drury:

1) Trade Blais for a 6th rd pick tomorrow. He has 0 goals in 26 games with us, goat is just as big and a better skater who likewise cant score and is half the price. If he cant find a suitor, waive him. That will allow us to fit about $7mm in cap hit at deadline between losing blais NOW and the accrual already in process.
2) at deadline send one of Hajek/Jones back to hartford along with goat and bring in Nick Holden for a 4th rd pick for bottom pair LHD.
3) do the andrew copp trade for gustav nyquist. 2nd turns into 1st if we make conference finals and throw him at RW on the first line

Kreider-Zib-Nyquist
Panarin-Trocheck-Krav
Laff-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Carp-Vesey
Reaves

Lindy-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Holden-Schneider
Hajek

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
With today's lineup. The Rangers have four holes the way I see it. Two top 6 RWs, a #7 D-man, and a backup goalie. Maybe even one top 6 RW. Kravtsov is talented and Panarin doesn't need superstars on his line.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Considering we have 18m in cap even if it stays flat. We do.

We have 6 forwards 4 defensemen and 1 goalie signed with 18M in space.

We have to sign at least 8 players with that 18M.

Keep in mind that my response to that post was based on the poster saying he wanted 6-8 year contracts for LaF, Miller, & Chytil.

We certainly DO NOT.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We have 6 forwards 4 defensemen and 1 goalie signed with 18M in space.

We have to sign at least 8 players with that 18M.

Keep in mind that my response to that post was based on the poster saying he wanted 6-8 year contracts for LaF, Miller, & Chytil.

We certainly DO NOT.
Sure but if we’re cup contenders, it’s entirely possible to fill out the 4th with pure league min guys and have decent depth.
So that eats some but not a ton.

Reactions: egelband

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Im the poster who said 6-8 year deals for chytil,miller,laf.
I said if buying out goodrow lets us do those deals, I do them without hesitation.

Then show me the math behind that. I'd like to see your numbers on Chytil, Miller, and LaF deals @ 6-8 years. I'm thinking your numbers are going to be unrealistically low for those terms and you still need to sign an additional (bare minimum) 6 players beyond that including Kravtsov and Jones. Those deals at those terms don't get done without someone waiving an NMC.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Then show me the math behind that. I'd like to see your numbers on Chytil, Miller, and LaF deals @ 6-8 years. I'm thinking your numbers are going to be unrealistically low for those terms and you still need to sign an additional (bare minimum) 6 players beyond that including Kravtsov and Jones. Those deals at those terms don't get done without someone waiving an NMC.
Id be assuming we get the 4m bump to the cap. Which would give us 22 million before a goodrow buyout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad