Speculation: Roster Building Thread: New Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
People shit on Goodrow but if we recall, he was still recovering from some sort of injury at the beginning of training camp and he had 33 points in 79 games last year. He has 7 points in 15 games this year while playing ~2 1/2 minutes less per game so far. He's not going to put up 60 points but if he hovers around 30-35 points and slots around the lineup as well as being a primary PKer, he's doing his job.

The issue I am seeing is not the Vesey's or Goodrow's, it's that the team is hoping Blais will round into form as he gains more strength in his legs and is continually counting on Carpenter and Gauthier/Reaves. With Blais clearly not 100% that's an entire line of bottom-6 forwards either spinning their wheels or not capable of better play.

This is also why the occasional good game from Gauthier is so profound because his emergence would allow for the bottom-6 to either have a pretty decent 3rd line or spread out to have (2) good bottom-6 players on each line.
I mean with the current line up. Blais and gauthier are on the fourth, and then there’s no need to spread the depth out.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Gourde carried that line. Coleman is also overpaid @4.9M for his 1 goal in 13 games.
Goodrow is good for what he is. He’s just a guy who should be making 2 or 2.5 … not 3.6. As a 3rd line wing it’s a bit much… as a 4th liner it’s a lot much. He’ll probably get bought out or get move to AZ with a pick in a couple years. However, I’m sure they knew that going in. He was part of the culture change. Of course, the problem is amplified when you’re also overpaying Reaves. A part time 4th liner shouldn’t be making 1.7 because he fights 3 times a year. You would think that role could be filled by a young guy at or near league minimum.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Goodrow is good for what he is. He’s just a guy who should be making 2 or 2.5 … not 3.6. As a 3rd line wing it’s a bit much… as a 4th liner it’s a lot much. He’ll probably get bought out or get move to AZ with a pick in a couple years. However, I’m sure they knew that going in. He was part of the culture change. Of course, the problem is amplified when you’re also overpaying Reaves. A part time 4th liner shouldn’t be making 1.7 because he fights 3 times a year. You would think that role could be filled by a young guy at or near league minimum.

I love Reavo, but he served his purpose and is not needed on this team anymore. Cuylle will be here soon enough and the Rangers have plenty of guys who can answer the bell if needed

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I love Reavo, but he served his purpose and is not needed on this team anymore. Cuylle will be here soon enough and the Rangers have plenty of guys who can answer the bell if needed
He was needed last year. This year I wouldn’t mind him as a 12/13th forward at or near league minimum but not at his current salary. Last year it was a nice addition, but if you need someone in that role then why not find someone young and cheap whose looking to make a name for themselves.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
He was needed last year. This year I wouldn’t mind him as a 12/13th forward at or near league minimum but not at his current salary. Last year it was a nice addition, but if you need someone in that role then why not find someone young and cheap whose looking to make a name for themselves.

Agreed. The team matured in the post season. I’m glad Gallant is starting to see that Carpenter & Reaves can’t hang anymore. Rydahl & Cuylle should force their way into the mix as the season progresses, and the team will be better for it

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Find a young kid who fills the Reaves role who also is exceptional at getting the puck over the blue. You can't.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Carpenter and Reaves, our two worst players, out of the lineup and suddenly we look like we have depth and the 4th line can now actually play hockey.

Waive Carpenter, recall Rydahl.

Don't touch the lines.

If they do anything, try to get one or two dirt cheap Vatrano type RW's and a dirt cheap LD.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Kreider - Zib - KK
Panarin - Trochek - VK
Laf - Chytil - Vesey
Blais - Goodrow - Rydahl

Reaves and Carpenter into the sun? Halak into the sun. Grab the next Hellberg on waivers to take backup duties, add a Braun type LD for the #7 spot. Leave it alone and let them work through any rough patches.

Reactions: leetch99

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Reaves is an important part of this team and locker room, even as 13F. Our cap issues aren’t his fault and his cap hit isn’t as much of a negative as are others, who should be ahead on the chopping block.

Yes waive Carpenter, but don’t call up Rydahl. Gauthier can play on the 4th.

Halak hasn’t had enough of a shot. His last game was strong. Shesty is struggling too. Halak isn’t making that much. You aren’t going to get anything reliable making less on the waiver wire.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Reaves is an important part of this team and locker room, even as 13F. Our cap issues aren’t his fault and his cap hit isn’t as much of a negative as are others, who should be ahead on the chopping block.

Yes waive Carpenter, but don’t call up Rydahl. Gauthier can play on the 4th.

Halak hasn’t had enough of a shot. His last game was strong. Shesty is struggling too. Halak isn’t making that much. You aren’t going to get anything reliable making less on the waiver wire.

Forgot about Gauthier and how well he’s played. Love Reaves presence in the room, but he’s not contributing anything on the ice. We should get him to retire and give him a job as a strength and conditioning coach to keep him in the room with the team. Halak is probably done, IMO. I don’t think there’s a cheaper upgrade, but there’s probably a cheaper waiver wire goalie who will do the same job.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
People shit on Goodrow but if we recall, he was still recovering from some sort of injury at the beginning of training camp and he had 33 points in 79 games last year. He has 7 points in 15 games this year while playing ~2 1/2 minutes less per game so far. He's not going to put up 60 points but if he hovers around 30-35 points and slots around the lineup as well as being a primary PKer, he's doing his job.

The issue I am seeing is not the Vesey's or Goodrow's, it's that the team is hoping Blais will round into form as he gains more strength in his legs and is continually counting on Carpenter and Gauthier/Reaves. With Blais clearly not 100% that's an entire line of bottom-6 forwards either spinning their wheels or not capable of better play.

This is also why the occasional good game from Gauthier is so profound because his emergence would allow for the bottom-6 to either have a pretty decent 3rd line or spread out to have (2) good bottom-6 players on each line.
This is why people like Brodzinski too. The bottom six just needs to be filled with guys that can skate well and maybe run a guy into the boards now and then. You don’t wear defenseman down in the modern NHL by being big and bruising. You do it by skating them into the dirt.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Carpenter can go. No need to bring anyone up unless an injury. Reaves can stay as cheerleader, and some games to make faces at the other team and do nothing anyway. Don't need to spend assets on middling players. Let this current lineup play a few more games to see if it really has clicked.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think in hindsight I’d probably have preferred:

Offer Blais a 2 year deal at $1.2m per season. If he didn’t accept, let him walk to UFA
Sign Motte for 2 years at $1.2m
Sign Raffl for 1 year at $0.85m
Sign Gauthier for what he got
Sign Vesey for 1 year at $0.85m

Trade Reaves for a 4th
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kaako
Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Vesey-Chytil-Kravtsov
Raffl-Goodrow-Motte
Gauthier, Blais

Rydahl and Brodzinski are the first 2 call ups at center

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think in hindsight I’d probably have preferred:

Offer Blais a 2 year deal at $1.2m per season. If he didn’t accept, let him walk to UFA
Sign Motte for 2 years at $1.2m
Sign Raffl for 1 year at $0.85m
Sign Gauthier for what he got
Sign Vesey for 1 year at $0.85m

Trade Reaves for a 4th
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kaako
Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Vesey-Chytil-Kravtsov
Raffl-Goodrow-Motte
Gauthier, Blais

Rydahl and Brodzinski are the first 2 call ups at center
The Rangers don’t have a 4th line problem if it’s Blais / Vesey - Goodrow - Gauthier / Vesey. I didn’t understand Carpenter signing then and I still don’t. Definitely would have reallocated his $$ to Motte and kept Rydahl and Brodzinski in mind for emergency Cs.

Reactions: UnSandvich

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Good for Eichel. Glad to see a guy take control of his situation and succeed. He went out on a limb. And so did Vegas, for that matter.

Fun fact he has exactly one more point than Mika in the same amount of games played.

Not sure if this is the thread for it. What do you guys think is the reason our possession game is so much better this year? Kakko/Chytil's improvement and Trochek replacing Strome? The lineup is almost identical to last year's. Is it something Gallant changed?

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Carpenter and Reaves, our two worst players, out of the lineup and suddenly we look like we have depth and the 4th line can now actually play hockey.

Waive Carpenter, recall Rydahl.

Don't touch the lines.

If they do anything, try to get one or two dirt cheap Vatrano type RW's and a dirt cheap LD.
I don’t usually agree with you but this is one of those rare posts where I am on board one hundred percent

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Fun fact he has exactly one more point than Mika in the same amount of games played.

Not sure if this is the thread for it. What do you guys think is the reason our possession game is so much better this year? Kakko/Chytil's improvement and Trochek replacing Strome? The lineup is almost identical to last year's. Is it something Gallant changed?
McKegg no longer on the roster

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad