Speculation: Roster Building Thread: New Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I did the calculator a couple of weeks ago and it looked okay- just bad 3-4 years from now when the cap goes up.

Not at my computer such that I can run it again to double check, but that’s my recollection at least.

No more buyouts please. They always bite us in the ass.

Besides, he's a great utility player and playoff guy. Contract is north of where I'd like it to be, but the guy is a piece on a contender.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
No more buyouts please. They always bite us in the ass.

Besides, he's a great utility player and playoff guy. Contract is north of where I'd like it to be, but the guy is a piece on a contender.
Respectfully disagree- NYR need to make every penny count over the next 3 seasons.

How are we going to keep Miller, Chytil, and other players looking at cap raises without trimming some of the fat?

I can tell you I’d rather buy out Goodrow than trade Lindgren like some people here suggested. With our defensive depth?

If Kreider regresses to the mean this season I think he’s candidate number one to be moved, but failing that the money to keep Chytil and Miller needs to come from somewhere.

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Respectfully disagree- NYR need to make every penny count over the next 3 seasons.

How are we going to keep Miller, Chytil, and other players looking at cap raises without trimming some of the fat?

I can tell you I’d rather buy out Goodrow than trade Lindgren like some people here suggested. With our defensive depth?

If Kreider regresses to the mean this season I think he’s candidate number one to be moved, but failing that the money to keep Chytil and Miller needs to come from somewhere.

Depends. If the cap goes up by 4 million like it is rumoured we should be fine. Plenty of cap to sign Miller + Chytil

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah, I'm all aboard the Goodrow buyout train. Being able to wipe that cap hit off the books entirely the next two seasons when the cap crunch is at its tightest would be huge and Lindgren is far more difficult to replace than Goodrow. Obviously the first move should be to try to deal him but I can't see many teams lining up to take on that contract with the 2 highest salary years ($5.1 next and $5 the following year) coming up.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Yeah, I'm all aboard the Goodrow buyout train. Being able to wipe that cap hit off the books entirely the next two seasons when the cap crunch is at its tightest would be huge and Lindgren is far more difficult to replace than Goodrow. Obviously the first move should be to try to deal him but I can't see many teams lining up to take on that contract with the 2 highest salary years ($5.1 next and $5 the following year) coming up.
Plus, he hasn't made us a contender. The contract hurts more than his play helps.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Plus, he hasn't made us a contender. The contract hurts more than his play helps.

Is it just me or has he regressed this season? There have been many games where I haven't even noticed him playing. He needs to be more physical and better on the PK. Also put up more points if you get paid 3.6 aav.

Reactions: Avery16

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
What do we need ROR for? We could potentially use an additional top 9 forward ala Vatrano last year.

Aside from that though, our main focus should be a veteran 3LD if we are looking to compete in the playoffs. Jones/Hajek as the 3LD is not a winning recipe.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
What do we need ROR for? We could potentially use an additional top 9 forward ala Vatrano last year.

Aside from that though, our main focus should be a veteran 3LD if we are looking to compete in the playoffs. Jones/Hajek as the 3LD is not a winning recipe.

Agreed. But somehow after Jack Johnson and Nemeth I have no confidence that we are actually able find a good 3rd pair vet D man.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The potential lesson here is that we should be thinking about how to bolster the bottom 6 next season presumably minus Goodrow, Blais, Carpenter, and Reaves. And how to do it cheaply.

The development of Rydahl, Cuylle, Berard, Othmann, is all very important. We may find ourselves asking players to come to the NHL sooner than expected. McConnell-Barker seems ahead of his development curve, as does Grubbe.

Do NYR possibly sign Berard in a Kreider move this year to bolster speed for the playoffs?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It wasn't a competitive appearance in the conference finals. We couldn't have made it without Copp? I don't know.
Not competitive? The Rangers had a 2-0 series lead and then lost a series of very tight games (2 were one goal games, one was 3-1 with an EN and the other was a 4-1 with an EN). How in any world is that not a competitive appearance?

They were up 2-0 in the series and up 2-0 in game 3. If not for a couple bad penalties giving Tampa life, the Rangers very very very realistically could've won that series in 4 or 5 games.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Goodrow is not the one that needs to go. We need to get better players on that bottom line to play with him. Getting rid of Carp, Blais, Reaves, Goat, and likely Krav by the deadline/draft will make the bottom of the lineup stronger. Add to Goodrow, don't subtract him.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
At this rate, who are we moving at the deadline to free up cash for the summer?

Adding ANYONE to this current dumpster fire would be stoopid

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Goodrow is not the one that needs to go. We need to get better players on that bottom line to play with him. Getting rid of Carp, Blais, Reaves, Goat, and likely Krav by the deadline/draft will make the bottom of the lineup stronger. Add to Goodrow, don't subtract him.
Yeah, I agree with this. I'm fine overpaying Goodrow to anchor the 4th line and be a valuable PKer and a guy who can move up the lineup when needed. But in order to keep him (overpaid as he is) is to have guys on minimum contracts next to him. Carp/Blais/Vesey/Guathier all are but there's too many of them. Keep 2 of them (those types) and then Reaves is gone and now you can easily afford to keep Goodrow.

Reactions: MrAlmost

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
How do you get better players than Blais and Reaves on the 4th line? Goodrow is getting paid third line money but needs better players to play with him on the 4th line? He should be able to carry that line if he was really a middle-six player relegated to a limited role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad