Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIII - As the bell tolls, who will stay who will go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
As things currently stand, next season is gonna be tightly compacted. Is in, your backup needs to be more than a bargain bin average goalie because he is gonna be seeing more games than usual. That also makes the inevitable injuries that much more devastating.
Brooklyn traffic can be tough too. I mean what if Igor gets in an accident?

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Shestyorkin is 24 years old, it's okay to have a good backup goalie. We got lucky (relatively) when we got like Ondrej Pavelec off the bottom of the pile and he was only a little bit below league average, doesn't necessarily mean that's going to happen every time

We have a long history of solid back up goaltending. Biron, Talbot, Valliquette, Pavelec, Raanta, Georgiev...at some point you start making your own luck.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
For the sake of this thread DO SOMETHING JEFF!
Driver-yawning.jpg

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It’s been confirmed by our board sources that the fates of Lundqvist and Georgiev are not related. If they get a deal they like for Georgiev, they will simply sign a backup.

That's how you maximize value. The Rangers just need a backup. Not a 1B. You don't buyout your franchise goaltender if you don't have a legitimate number 1 in the wings.

Georgiev put up some really good performances on some terrible defensive efforts. That's where the eye test comes in. For Geo, he gets a chance to platoon, and keep owning more of the ice. He's done nothing other than prove that he is a really good goalie at all levels... and he's worked for it. To me, he's earned his keep. But we all know that Shesty is going to take a lot of the ice time. So the Rangers are one of those teams that needs a good back-up, and those guys can be found in UFA.

I wonder if Cam would be open to a reunion. He played his best under Allaire, and if there is an opening it'd be nice to get an older guy to go along with the kids. Cam seemed like an up-beat guy and good all around teammate so for the Rangers you are getting a known quantity as well. Valley would be a good guy for Cam to talk to I think. Both guys have been around the block, and Valley is back with the Ranger organization and doing an outstanding job. He didn't get the reunion contract because he was good at hockey, but he's damn good on TV. That's a pretty darn good career path for a back-up goalie. Think even JD might know a thing or two about a Ranger reunion.

Honestly, and I say this tipping my hat to Geo... dude, you'll make more money on another team, and it'll be about the contract after this one. Absolutely loved how you played, and what you given to the Rangers, but it really might be the best move for all parties. Making big money in net is about getting those games in. So nothing wrong getting a bigger opportunity for yourself.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Saturated goalie market works both ways. How much Georgiev would be able to fetch in return would also be impacted.
Only deal Georgiev if the deal is too good to pass up. Shesty and georgi are a great tandem to have with no worries about losing either in expansion. If the deal is too good to pass up for NYR you make it and then go sign a guy like griess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad