Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIII - As the bell tolls, who will stay who will go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Waiting for the first block to fall when it comes to goaltenders on the market. Over saturated and money issues around the league so hard to determine value of a guy like Murray.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah and to your point, the Pegula's can shield themselves with the Bills. They at least have a track record that shows one side of their operations is doing well. They might take some licks in the media in the short-term but if they do it right and catch lightning in a bottle then all will be forgiven. The lack of fans in the stand could be enough cover for them to bite the bullet.

That being said, I think what Edge alluded to earlier about them getting someone who can contribute immediately is paramount. Not sure if they would consider DeAngelo that guy.

I for one can't proclaim to speak on behalf of an NHL team, but if I was BUF it's all about immediate contribution today, but also tomorrow. Meaning those players need to be able to grow with the core. Future picks bring uncertainty, so if I was getting picks, I would trade them for something more proven. There are futures that may be more certain than others, but when a guy is 24 years old, and he produces at the NHL level to be 5th in positional scoring, he is a hard asset to find, and one that isn't usually available. Perhaps BUF would consider it. So does a 24 year old proven point producer such as Tony DeAngelo have a future in the NHL after leading a top power play, and posting 50 plus points as a defenseman? Maybe?

Prospects are different, you have your own scouting department, and you have your own players. Now BUF's scouting department hasn't been aces the last little while. So those picks are a risky proposition. But.... I can tell you for a fact.... this has happened not just once... that players that play with other guys, from time to time, and I would say more often than not, know the talent that they are playing with better than scouts.

If I were the Pegula's, I would ask the players... of the kids that you grew up and with played with, whose really good? Especially if the scouts that they had were not producing. That might be a better way to gauge prospects on other teams. Especially if they are players that your young core franchise player wants to play with. It builds better chemistry that way, and you are getting a core that grew up playing together as the best in their age bracket.

If I'm getting that as my "futures", those are also assurances that make franchise player may feel more valued and inclined to stay, because you literally built the team around him, and oh... added more production than Eichel across front-line NHL positions. Whether that's a starting level goalie, a top six center, and a top 4 defenseman is all dependent on the holes BUF wants to fill.

Reactions: Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Finding one as young and low cost as Georgiev? A third rounder does nothing for us

Why does he have to be young? He's the back up goalie. Most teams want an experienced back up if they have a rookie starter. And yes, they can probably get one cheaper than Georgiev.

A 3rd does nothing for us? Weird thing to say considering the guy who beat out Georgiev for the starting job was a 4th round pick himself.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Finding one as young and low cost as Georgiev? A third rounder does nothing for us

I think if the right deal came along the Rangers wouldn't hold it up just because they want to hang on to Georgiev

Like if a package for something they wanted hinged on them including Georgiev, I think they pull the trigger on the trade and then figure out the backup situation later.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
20 pages of nothing lmao.

everyone just needs to chill the f*** out.
I’m fine with the excitement I think it’s good. However those who really think Eichel are going to be in a Rangers jersey tomorrow or even the next few weeks are probably gonna be disappointed

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Why does he have to be young? He's the back up goalie. Most teams want an experienced back up if they have a rookie starter. And yes, they can probably get one cheaper than Georgiev.

A 3rd does nothing for us? Weird thing to say considering the guy who beat out Georgiev for the starting job was a 4th round pick himself.

who would you suggest that’s out there to replace Georgiev? I want a competent solid back up not one on serious decline.
Plus if Georgiev has to fill in any time for Shesty which could happen and he does well his trade value could go up in future.

Reactions: egelband

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Could Rykov get us a pick? Wish he didn't get hurt and we gave him a chance but I can't see him coming back over with guys like Miller, Jones, Robertson, Tarmo.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think if the right deal came along the Rangers wouldn't hold it up just because they want to hang on to Georgiev

Like if a package for something they wanted hinged on them including Georgiev, I think they pull the trigger on the trade and then figure out the backup situation later.
Fair enough. I just want a backup I’m familiar with and competent. Would be disaster if we built a solid team only to lose Shesty for considerable time and get hurt by that.
Also don’t want Shesty playing huge amount of games in tight schedule

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Fleury (roster + cap reason) to NYR in a trade for DeAngelo
Didn’t fleury plus second rounder just get shot down? Wonder how much Vegas could retain. That salary is really high isn’t it?
Not sure if they are gonna add a krebs or glass to rid fleury

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Shestyorkin is 24 years old, it's okay to have a good backup goalie. We got lucky (relatively) when we got like Ondrej Pavelec off the bottom of the pile and he was only a little bit below league average, doesn't necessarily mean that's going to happen every time

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad