Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIII - As the bell tolls, who will stay who will go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Any interest in bringing in Jack Johnson as veteran LD depth? After getting rid of Staal we really only have Brendan Smith that fills that role and he's not exactly considered one of the team leaders nor will he necessarily even be on the team to start the year.

Jack Johnson is absolutely horrible even as a 3rd pair D

No no no no, he is really bad, Staal level or worse.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I think if they said "We're moving on from the Eichel/Reinhart/Ristolainen" era they could certainly do pretty well to improve their team. I don't think it's as hard of a PR sell as people are making it out to be. Especially if the team comes out of the gate well in the shortened season. Might impact season-ticket sales but who knows if fans will even be permitted for most of the year?

It's a calculated risk but could really pay off for them.

Right, you're not going to hear the boos in the arena. Let the team gel, and take a step towards the right direction. After 5-7 years, I think they know what they are getting with the combination of that trio.

Reactions: Trxjw

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

What's funny is that it's the same thing every deadline and draft. We hear a billion rumors and how there's going to be crazy action and then nothing happens close to what the speculation made us all prepare for.

The biggest deals kind of usually come down out of nowhere while a lot of the speculative deals never come to fruition.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
One day I will put together a flow chart of how to come across as a convincing "ITK" person, and everyone here can be ITK.
IDK about that.

I imagine it looks something like this.
9bbcc48180ed5d35027bfc20c753d4bf.gif

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Right, you're not going to hear the boos in the arena. Let the team gel, and take a step towards the right direction. After 5-7 years, I think they know what they are getting with the combination of that trio.

Yeah and to your point, the Pegula's can shield themselves with the Bills. They at least have a track record that shows one side of their operations is doing well. They might take some licks in the media in the short-term but if they do it right and catch lightning in a bottle then all will be forgiven. The lack of fans in the stand could be enough cover for them to bite the bullet.

That being said, I think what Edge alluded to earlier about them getting someone who can contribute immediately is paramount. Not sure if they would consider DeAngelo that guy.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If an Eichel deal comes to fruition, there is gonna be a piece in there that hurts. I maintain that I think that piece is Miller. However, if you trade Miller then maybe you don't trade ADA, or you trade ADA in a deal to get a younger LD, I don't know. I'd be surprised if Buffalo didn't want Nils, who would also hurt. Point is, I'd be ok with trading either of those guys in a deal as long as we didn't have to trade Laf or Kak.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Yeah I think if they said "We're moving on from the Eichel/Reinhart/Ristolainen" era they could certainly do pretty well to improve their team. I don't think it's as hard of a PR sell as people are making it out to be. Especially if the team comes out of the gate well in the shortened season. Might impact season-ticket sales but who knows if fans will even be permitted for most of the year?

It's a calculated risk but could really pay off for them.
Sabres fans have been through a bad team for going on over 9 years. If they are still around at this point they'll still be there in a Eichel-less Sabres team. I'm with you, I doubt this will be the straw that breaks the Camel's back in Western NY. And they still have Dahlin.

Reactions: Chytilmania

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If an Eichel deal comes to fruition, there is gonna be a piece in there that hurts. I maintain that I think that piece is Miller. However, if you trade Miller then maybe you don't trade ADA, or you trade ADA in a deal to get a younger LD, I don't know. I'd be surprised if Buffalo didn't want Nils, who would also hurt. Point is, I'd be ok with trading either of those guys in a deal as long as we didn't have to trade Laf or Kak.
IMO they would want Robertson or Jones for LHD. They have Dahlin already

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
The cap should be taking off with the New TV deal and things getting back to normal.

Kreider and Trouba's NMC moves to a 15team no trade list in 2024-2025.
I would much rather bank on this versus not making a move due to potential cap issues in 3 years.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Sabres fans have been through a bad team for going on over 9 years. If they are still around at this point they'll still be there in a Eichel-less Sabres team. I'm with you, I doubt this will be the straw that breaks the Camel's back in Western NY. And they still have Dahlin.

Yeah and they could go as far as to scape-goating Eichel a little bit if they felt like it. The whole "we weren't winning with this guy" approach to justify a new direction. Same thing the Bruins put out there when they traded Jumbo Joe.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
SJ got a good deal for Donato. He's a good player, but one that probably hasn't found the right role. He's been very good at even strength. Plays a lot more like the Donato from the old days. He's not a stud top 6 option. Very good complementary bottom six guy. I'd love the Rangers to swing a value trade like this.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

I'd rather it be Miller than Kravtsov.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'd be all in on eichel if he were available...with the exception. Of laf or kakko

To me both are worth more than eichel. Cost controlled star caliber players are worth more than 10m star players.

Kakko had a bad first season. But all the foundations are build for a breakout year coming up.

I would add Adam Fox to that as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad