Speculation: Roster Building Thread III (2019/2020) - Tick Tock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I see you like analogies. Here's one for you: Marc Staal is that old guy in the office. He has no clue how the new tools work, but he's been working the same job for 30 years and management loves him for reasons other than his performance. Sure, he fails to meet his deadlines, and he struggles to keep up with the new procedures, but he's been around forever. He knows everyone and is part of the culture.

That's why Staal isn't bought out

Yup, and his desk is next to the guy who can't be terminated due to his involvement in ongoing litigation and is assigned menial admin tasks in the interim (4th line forward Brendan Smith).

Reactions: Inferno

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
tenor.gif

:laugh:

I was trying to find the clip from The Wire with that old detective who just gets drunk and plays cards and doesn’t actually work and then hurls himself down a set of stairs so he can sue and retire early but this shall suffice.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I thought we were going to be civil from now on? You can just @ me or quote my post rather than taking what seems like a jab and trying to slip away without notice.

Kakko will not be due his new contract for another 3 years. At that time we will have $22+ million removed from the books. Some buyout money such as Girardi will be done with. The cap will *hopefully increase, we believe it will as it has continued to do so and a new TV deal is needed.

If we have two elite players in Panarin and Kakko then yes its a fantastic problem to have imo. The team has more youth on the way who will still be on ELCs, specifically on defense. So you are forecasting a situation where you spend your money mostly upfront while saving on the backend. Sure its not as simple as this but thats what the management and their financial advisors within get paid to address.

The Marner situation is certainly not ideal. But they have been navigating through the storm and they will likely be able to sign him. They have had to maneuver a bit, removing pieces such as a Marleau or a Kadri (although they brought back Barrie’s salary) but they are going to war with Matthews-Tavares-Marner as their lead guys. And they are banking on their organizational depth in scouting and player development to fill in the bottom lines on cheaper contracts. Pittsburgh has done this. Chicago has done this. This isnt new.
I agree but until the cap is 100m if your team is blessed with several high end talents you may have to trade one off for young cheaper assets to keep filling the pipe. Like New England does in football.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I agree but until the cap is 100m if your team is blessed with several high end talents you may have to trade one off for young cheaper assets to keep filling the pipe. Like New England does in football.
Its by no means an easy task. But it is something that can be managed. There are solutions.

You pay your best and the secondary pieces that could be a tier below elite or even star level, may need to be traded with the return being younger assets. It just is what it is.

I would rather take my chances with Panarin being here than not. If Kakko does become the better play in just one year, then had we waited until next offseason to add an elite player we may have nothing to choose from. So management made the decision to add now with the hope that it all comes together next year or the following year.

We have said it a bunch but getting Kakko at 2 changed everything. I dont think Panarin is a Ranger if we dont land Kakko.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
Three things wrong with your thinking here. The so called "results" of that stuff relies on the performance of all five skaters on the ice. Not just one.

Two: "don't matter much if the end result is that you're always giving up a ton of shots against and are getting scored on" Again a result of all five players on the ice. To evaluate an individual performance that "stuff' I mentioned is all that matters. But everyone needs to buy in.

Three: "he probably wouldn't measure out so abysmally when we look at his actual on ice contributions." But you are not literally looking at his actual on ice contributions. You are looking at statistics that require 5 or 4 players on ice to gather results.

Also the coach would have pulled him in a heartbeat if he was playing as bad as you say. The "deferred to veterans" is a bunch of bull.
Dude...just....ugghhh....I’m sorry...blahhhhhh

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
I honestly think tampa takes a step back this year. They'll still dominate but doubt itll be that 60 win record whatever. Just so i dont keep hearing the panarin debate over and over, lets simplify it: he's here and he's here to stay. Judge him by how he'll do on the ice this season.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I also dont think DQ is going to hand out minutes for free. If Hajek, Lindgren, or Rykov prove themselves to be better than Staal then Marc will be relegated to the 3rd pair. They are not sitting here giving him 2nd pair minutes out of stubbornness or some longterm investment. His contract is up in 2 years. They need to start transitioning to the kids they have.

I totally agree. But I doubt it happens this year. Though I'm dying to see what Rykov looks like. 22 yrs old, played 3 full years in the KHL and has size and strength. Drury is pretty high on this kid. Says he could step right in. Played well in the KHL playoffs last year.

Something tells me Staal is gonna give it his best shot to stay in the lineup. We all know he can't play 22-24 minutes anymore, hasn't done that in years. And I also believe he would like to finish his contract here and then retire. Having played his entire career as a Ranger. What he gives us in the last two years, is yes up for debate, but it will certainly not be from a lack of effort. DQ is a fair coach, and will dress only the best six D-men. And I fully expect Staal to earn his minutes.

But yes they do need to take a good look at these youngsters as Staal is on his way out. It might be a given Fox makes it out of camp, since we seem to have a spot open. And if Smith is removed that's another spot they need to fill.

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I see you like analogies. Here's one for you: Marc Staal is that old guy in the office. He has no clue how the new tools work, but he's been working the same job for 30 years and management loves him for reasons other than his performance. Sure, he fails to meet his deadlines, and he struggles to keep up with the new procedures, but he's been around forever. He knows everyone and is part of the culture.

That's why Staal isn't bought out

If we have learned anything watching hockey, is that there are no loyalties to players. It's a business. No one was more loved in NY, than Eddy Giacomin, Jean Ratelle or Brad Park. But then you probably weren't around then or saw them play. Perhaps Brian Leetch would be a better example?

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hopefully Kakko will be the Rangers best player by his second year. One guy who would get him there faster is Panarin though. If Artemi is going full bore and Kaapo is moving past him we're going to have a hell of an offense and especially if Zibanejad is going strong too. I wouldn't put them all on the same line though--we need multiple line threats.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
If we have learned anything watching hockey, is that there are no loyalties to players. It's a business. No one was more loved in NY, than Eddy Giacomin, Jean Ratelle or Brad Park. But then you probably weren't around then or saw them play. Perhaps Brian Leetch would be a better example?

I'd say that group had far more movement value to other clubs than MS. I have to think Staal provides far more insights in the room than he is given credit for by some posters here. Can you see Staal staying and becoming part of the organizational coaching group in a couple of years?

Reactions: egelband and zephyr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad