Speculation: Roster Building Thread III (2019/2020) - Tick Tock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckmaster

Feb 22, 2009
Where would kakko slot in for the 2020 draft? Sounds like it's a deep draft and wondering if he'd still be in top 3ish

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Hughes and Kakko would slot in behind Lafreniere but ahead of everyone else

Agreed, but it’s still very early. I think Kakko based on where he was at the same age would be behind more guys. But I would be surprised if many of the top guys in this year’s draft can match Kakko’s growth and achievements of last season.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Agreed, but it’s still very early. I think Kakko based on where he was at the same age would be behind more guys. But I would be surprised if many of the top guys in this year’s draft can match Kakko’s growth and achievements of last season.

You say it yourself, we'll know for sure after this season, but I don't see any 2020 prospect doing what Kappo did in his draft year.

I'd rank Kakko 2nd behind Lafrenière.

Reactions: Ola

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
You say it yourself, we'll know for sure after this season, but I don't see any 2020 prospect doing what Kappo did in his draft year.

He still has to have a big season, but Lundell does has a 19 point in 38 games Liiga season under his belt already

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
He still has to have a big season, but Lundell does has a 19 point in 38 games Liiga season under his belt already
Like Lafreniere and Gunler, he's an early October birthday and among the oldest in the draft class - almost a full year older than Byfield for example.

Not that his Liiga season wasn't extremely impressive, but it's still important context.

E: Marco Rossi is another top prospect with an extremely early birthday. I wonder if the extraordinary anticipation we've had of the 2020 draft class is somewhat affected by the unusual number of early birthdays at the top.

Reactions: Krams

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
#88 ?

HF7cRc8.jpg

Reactions: egelband

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Like Lafreniere and Gunler, he's an early October birthday and among the oldest in the draft class - almost a full year older than Byfield for example.

Not that his Liiga season wasn't extremely impressive, but it's still important context.

E: Marco Rossi is another top prospect with an extremely early birthday. I wonder if the extraordinary anticipation we've had of the 2020 draft class is somewhat affected by the unusual number of early birthdays at the top.
Lately I feel like the birthday thing isn’t really as big of a deal like we make it seem.

And in the context of “I don’t see any 2020 prospect doing what Kakko did,” Lundell is only 5 months older than Kakko

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
On the subject of Staal; he's definitely starting the year in the top 6. I expect him/Skjei/Hajek as the Opening Night LHD. By Feb/March, one of Lindgren or Rykov could very well replace him.

There's no harm in keeping Staal on the roster as a mentor for this year and next, he's essentially untradeable and another buyout isn't happening. For those older fans, my first memories of Ron Greschner were as a veteran #7 who helped take some of the heavy load off of Leetch. Staal is going to finish his Rangers career in that role.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yup, just saying, there are some really unique kids out there going into the D-1 season this year. Probably even more so than last season.

With that said, Hughes as a super speedy and dynamic center will always be so attractive and Kakko came on so hard at the end that he still more or less made it a total tie between the two. I think it’s possible that Hughes and Kakko could have gone 1-2 next June too, ahead of everyone.

My point is just, that shouldn’t be taken as an account for that this year’s draft is so-so at the top. At this point of the year, it’s IMO stronger than last year’s draft was in October 18. I would actually say that Hughes would be 2nd behind Laf and that Kakko prolly would be in a tie with Raymon, Byfield and co, and that KK definitely could have been ranked behind those two.

The thing is, this just shows how unique season Kakko had last year. Lol imagine what it would take for Raymond to — just match — it? OK Lucas, it’s crucial that you (i) can pwn the SHL this season, (ii) carry Sweden to gold at the U20 and score the gold clinching goal, and (iii) be Sweden’s best player at the WCHs and carry Sweden to gold. Question on this?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think it's premature to assume Hajek is the one of the three that starts the season in the NHL. I don't think they have any penciled in, Lindgren and Rykov will get preseason games as well.

You could also have a surprise from someone- I don't remember if Reunanen is coming over this year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think it's premature to assume Hajek is the one of the three that starts the season in the NHL. I don't think they have any penciled in, Lindgren and Rykov will get preseason games as well.

You could also have a surprise from someone- I don't remember if Reunanen is coming over this year.

Reunanen has an EAC for the first season of his ELC. If he does not make the team, he can opt to go back to Lukko

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
On the subject of Staal; he's definitely starting the year in the top 6. I expect him/Skjei/Hajek as the Opening Night LHD. By Feb/March, one of Lindgren or Rykov could very well replace him.

There's no harm in keeping Staal on the roster as a mentor for this year and next, he's essentially untradeable and another buyout isn't happening. For those older fans, my first memories of Ron Greschner were as a veteran #7 who helped take some of the heavy load off of Leetch. Staal is going to finish his Rangers career in that role.

There is plenty of harm in this, especially if they keep playing him.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

Deleted member 23124

There is plenty of harm in this, especially if they keep playing him.
I understand your concerns, but I think we know enough about Quinn by now to know he will give ice time to those that deserve it....if there are players more deserving than Staal, they will get more ice time than Staal.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Warning I'm a few beers deep, but I can skate and handle the pill at NHL speed better than Marc Stal.

Deleted member 23124

So far the evidence has pointed against that.
To me, last year was purely an "evaluation" year to see what we had, what we needed, etc.

I think we'll see more of the real Quinn this coming season....of course, I could be wrong, but I'll remain pessimistically optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad