Proposal: Roster 2013/14

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
Flyers won't be getting any RFAs with an offer-sheet imo, in fact i doubt they even try. Only way the Flyers get an RFA is through a trade at which point we have no idea what the rest of the roster will look like/which holes will then need to be filled. When speculating on future rosters i think it's best to fill holes with UFAs.

also i don't see the Flyers getting a #1 goalie if they buy out bryz, at least not in the foreseeable future. the market is very thin and it seems some have forgot just how hard it is to acquire a quality #1 goalie. i also don't see them getting a bona fide #1 d-man for the same reason so some of those UFA d-men would be a good option as a stop gap until one becomes available or the Flyers draft one (just writing that made me laugh).

at this point i think the best we can hope for is for bryz to play well so he doesn't get bought out (at least not this upcoming off-season) and for the flyers to instead buyout Briere this off-season to get some cash for solidifying the back end with someone like Streit, a high quality forward (** cough ** perry ** cough **) and a cheap back-up. anything else could be filled from within, like Gus for the bottom pairing or wellwood, McGinn etc for the 12th and 13th forwards.

I re-read this part of your post, when exactly does the buy-out period take place? I'm just thinking about how they worked it with the NBA. Teams used it strategically by signing the guy they wanted before buying out their own player. For example, the Sixers wanted to sign Nick Young and wanted to stay under the cap/avoid paying luxury tax, they signed Young then bought out Elton Brand. Just thinking to myself outloud here, if we could do the same with Perry. Sign Perry and then buyout Briere, not the reverse, of buying out Briere then going after Perry. Would allow the Flyers take a swing at a big name player like Perry or even Getzlaf while having the protection of knowing if they miss at least they still have Briere. They could even do that the following season as well. Again, it would nice if I knew more about how these amnesty buy-outs work. Any CBA guru to help me out here?

Last edited:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I re-read this part of your post, when exactly does the buy-out period take place? I'm just thinking about how they worked it with the NBA. Teams used it strategically by signing the guy they wanted before buying out their own player. For example, the Sixers wanted to sign Nick Young and wanted to stay under the cap/avoid paying luxury tax, they signed Young then bought out Elton Brand. Just thinking to myself outloud here, if we could do the same with Perry. Sign Perry and then buyout Briere, not the reverse, of buying out Briere then going after Perry. Would allow the Flyers take a swing at a big name player like Perry or even Getzlaf while having the protection of knowing if they miss at least they still have Briere. They could even do that the following season as well. Again, it would nice if I knew more about how these amnesty buy-outs work. Any CBA guru to help me out here?

all you ever hear is off-season so i suspect a team has the entire off-season for this but it's a good question i really can't say for certain.

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
I don't think there's a set date for the buyouts.. Its' just in the summer

:laugh: That doesn't really clarify it for me, but thanks.

So in theory you could sign the player you wanted before buying out your guy. Such an advantage to a skilled GM with a team with deep pockets. Why? I'm going to layout 2 options, Option A and Option B.

Option A: You sign your guy before buying out your own player

For the Flyers, they could make a run a Perry, Getzlaf with Iginla as another potential target, with Briere as the buy-out candidate. If Flyers land said player, great, buy-out Briere, forward upgraded. If like this past offseason, when whiffed at Parise and Suter, at least we still have a above-average player in Briere to fall back on if nothing transpires. No harm, no foul at least you took a shot.

Best Case Scenario: Upgraded forward (Perry, Getzlaf)
Worst Case Scenario: We still have Briere

Option B: You buy-out your player first, then make a run at another player

Same as option A, with a twist, you don't have your fall back plan covered from the start. If the Flyers failed to land Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Lupul, etc, they could end up with a worse player than they had with Briere, for the sake of this example, Clarke McArthur.

Best Case Scenario: Same as before, upgraded forward (Perry, Getzlaf)
Worst Case Scenario: Downgraded forward or nobody at all.

Under those 2 options, unless you really, really hate Briere you take Option A, everytime. I hoping Option A is available and that Homer takes advantage of it.

Last edited:

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
all you ever hear is off-season so i suspect a team has the entire off-season for this but it's a good question i really can't say for certain.

I know it's a good question, that's why I'm trying to figure how, and more importantly when, these buyouts take place. A good GM could exploit they hell out of them.

Last edited:

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
If Whitney has anything short of a good season the oilers won't resign him, and I bet he could be had for around 3 mil this offseason.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
If Whitney has anything short of a good season the oilers won't resign him, and I bet he could be had for around 3 mil this offseason.

But then why would you want to sign him? They should try and bring Kimmo back for that price.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
But then why would you want to sign him? They should try and bring Kimmo back for that price.

Agreed. Even though he is slowing down if he signs for cheaper might not be a bad option for lower pairing. We really got to fid guys to take the minutes away from him. Make him a 15-18 minute guy.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
welcome to the NEW SEASON !!!

Roster 2013/14 after a bad playoff run

??? :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

ugh
:loony:

This was added by me, because i expect the flyers to stay with Bryz if we go to the finals or something else. Also the chance that Timonen comes back grows when we have a good season....

We can discuss the roster next years, when Timonen and Bryz come back next year, but that wasn´t what i want to discuss.... And is it a nono to imagine we could play a bad playoff season? It´s just a proposal.... Get over it!

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I'd like to see us go after a pure shooter in Perry or Ryder.

And a mobile D man in White.

EDIT: cap space - hovers near 7.3 with a 64.3 cap limit - I assume that would be more with a buyout of Pronger (12.2) ..... this gives us 19 roster players. A need to fill 2 D spots and 2 Forward spots with the big club.

So
6 to Perry
3.5 to White
----------

2.7 to sign a 7th D man (or not and bring up GUS) and a 4th liner (Steckel) or resign 2 of Wellwood, Sestito or Rinaldo.

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
One more thing: they can't buyout Pronger unless he is cleared to play. Can't buyout injured players. That really screws the cap situation.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
One more thing: they can't buyout Pronger unless he is cleared to play. Can't buyout injured players. That really screws the cap situation.

I don't suppose they could get a Dr. Nick Riviera type to "clear" Pronger to play, have him dress as the 7th Dman, skate a couple of circles in practice, then buy him out then and there. I'm disappointed with Mr. Snider; what's the use of being a billionaire if you cannot bend reality to your iron will?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Let me give this a go:

FORWARDS ($32.362m)

Hartnell ($4.750m) - Giroux ($3.750m) - Read ($0.900m)
Simmonds (3.975m) - Couturier ($1.375m) - Briere ($6.500m)
Talbot ($1.750m) - Schenn ($3.110m) - Voracek ($3.000m)
Wellwood ($0.650m) - Laughton ($1.137m) - McGinn ($0.775m)
Sestito ($0.700m)

DEFENSE ($17.525m)
_________________ - Coburn ($4.500m)
L. Schenn ($3.600m) - Grossman ($3.600m)
Meszaros ($4.000m) - Gustaffson ($1.000m)
Gervais (0.825m)

GOALTENDERS ($6.667m)
Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Not-Leighton ($1.000m)

TOTAL: $56.554 million
ANTICIPATED CAP: $64.3 million
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $7.746 million

That's pretty good coin for a #1 defender, if one is to be had. I left Schenn as 3C for this exercise, even though (as others have said) the team seems very much to want to push him to winger. The italicized salaries (Sestito, Wellwood and Gust) are projected marginal raises from their current salaries. As you can see, I'm not a Rinaldo fan.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
This team desperately needs two things. A true #1 defender, a legit sniper to play with Giroux. Perry would be great, and if he hits the UFA market, will be getting a ton of money. The defender will have to be had via trade most likely. Like we were discussing in the other thread, only a few RFA's I believe have a chance at moving. I feel like we will be moving some pieces to get the defender.

Also Bobby Ryan will probably spark back up around the draft.... seems like it always does.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Perry is going to cost a ton. The Flyers will have to sign Giroux, B.Schenn, Couturier, Read, and Mezz (if they want to keep him) the following summer. I think a cheaper alternative would be Iginla (4-5 mil) for a few years. He will provide leadership and a good skill set until Bobby Ryan's contract ends two years later.

Trade Read for Jonathon Blum, sign Jarome Iginla, and resign Kimmo or Marc Streit (4-5 mil for either)

Iginla-Giroux-Hartnell
B.Schenn-Briere-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Voracek
McGinn-Talbot-Wellwood/Rinaldo

Coburn-Grossman
L.Schenn-Timmonen or Streit
Mezz-Blum

Buy out Briere's last year (if you can't trade him) next summer to sign B. Schenn, Couturier, and Giroux.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Perry is going to cost a ton. The Flyers will have to sign Giroux, B.Schenn, Couturier, Read, and Mezz (if they want to keep him) the following summer. I think a cheaper alternative would be Iginla (4-5 mil) for a few years. He will provide leadership and a good skill set until Bobby Ryan's contract ends two years later.

Trade Read for Jonathon Blum, sign Jarome Iginla, and resign Kimmo or Marc Streit (4-5 mil for either)

Iginla-Giroux-Hartnell
B.Schenn-Briere-Simmonds

Coburn-Grossman
Mezz-Blum

Buy out Briere's last year (if you can't trade him) next summer to sign B. Schenn, Couturier, and Giroux.

I don't mind it.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Iginla-Giroux-Hartnell
B.Schenn-Briere-Simmonds

Coburn-Grossman
Mezz-Blum

If you buy out Briere earlier then you spend a couple mil more and you get Perry over Iginla long term too. The cap will go up slightly the following year so they'll still have enough to re-sign the young guys.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If you buy out Briere earlier then you spend a couple mil more and you get Perry over Iginla long term too. The cap will go up slightly the following year so they'll still have enough to re-sign the young guys.

What worries me are these new contract limits. Perry might be making as much 9 mil a year against the cap. So if he gets 9 mil, what will Giroux then make? I don't think they will that high, but I think 8 mil or more a year is a good bet. If the cap goes back up to 70 mil the next year, that will still be over 20% of the cap tied up in two players........ On a happier note, think how badly Pittsburgh will be screwed when they have to resign Malkin and Letang next summer. Also pretty much the Rangers entire team besides Nash and Richards will have to resigned that summer.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
trade Voracek, Laughton and 1st for Subban
sign perry
sign handzus
sign khudobin
re-sign sestito
re-sign gus

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Corey Perry ($6.000m)
Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Michael Handzus ($1.500m) / Tom Sestito ($0.666m)

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / P.K. Subban ($5.750m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.950m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.975m)
BUYOUTS
Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,904,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $5,195,333

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
You guys have a talented young team. However I think last year was your best year to compete for the immediate future. Meaning this year and probably next year. I think you guys need to make a big move soon or you will have a tough time getting there (SC Championship). Maybe you guys puposely have a bad year to get a nice draft choice and go from there. But Im not sure that would ever go with Flyer fans or any Philly fan for that matter. Win now or go home is the motto correct??

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
You guys have a talented young team. However I think last year was your best year to compete for the immediate future. Meaning this year and probably next year. I think you guys need to make a big move soon or you will have a tough time getting there (SC Championship). Maybe you guys puposely have a bad year to get a nice draft choice and go from there. But Im not sure that would ever go with Flyer fans or any Philly fan for that matter. Win now or go home is the motto correct??

I believe the Philly motto is "Well, there's always next year...."

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
What worries me are these new contract limits. Perry might be making as much 9 mil a year against the cap. So if he gets 9 mil, what will Giroux then make? I don't think they will that high, but I think 8 mil or more a year is a good bet. If the cap goes back up to 70 mil the next year, that will still be over 20% of the cap tied up in two players........ On a happier note, think how badly Pittsburgh will be screwed when they have to resign Malkin and Letang next summer. Also pretty much the Rangers entire team besides Nash and Richards will have to resigned that summer.

i don't think he's going to get 9 mil per. i think around 7.25 mil per is more likely.

philllyyy91

Jul 21, 2012
Why would we sign OEL at 7m per year, thats just absurd.

i can actually see trading B.Schenn + for a really good D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad