Line Combos: 2024-2025 Powerplay Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This has obviously been a sore topic for the team. I think we have the pieces to be successful, but early in the pre-season, I already have some issues with deployment.

Caufield - was used on his non one-timer side, this makes no sense.
Slafkovsky - was in the bumper spot, I don't mind him rotating in there but it shouldn't be his static positioning.

For me, if I think about the best way to deploy the PP units it would be

Hutson
Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Newhook

So Hutson is running the top, Suzuki is the 2nd point man but is moving sides to create chaos. Caufield is the one timer option on one side, Slaf is the one timer and half-wall guy on the other side with Newhook playing the bumper.

I'd create a similar look with PP2

Matheson for Hutson
Laine for Caufield
Dach for Slafkovsky
Kapanen for Newhook
Roy for Suzuki

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
This has obviously been a sore topic for the team. I think we have the pieces to be successful, but early in the pre-season, I already have some issues with deployment.

Slafkovsky - was in the bumper spot, I don't mind him rotating in there but it shouldn't be his static positioning.

Hutson
Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Newhook

So Hutson is running the top, Suzuki is the 2nd point man but is moving sides to create chaos. Caufield is the one timer option on one side, Slaf is the one timer and half-wall guy on the other side with Newhook playing the bumper.

Matheson for Hutson
Laine for Caufield
Dach for Slafkovsky
Kapanen for Newhook
Roy for Suzuki

I like this but what is the argument for having Newhook there instead of Dach? Need for a left shot player?

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Considering Laine and Caufield play the same role best and that Dach would be left out, I think having relatively balanced units is the way to go. I also like to have two centers per unit in case one gets kicked off from the face-off

1st unit:
Hutson
Suzuki
Slaf
Laine
Newhook

2nd unit:
Dach
Matheson
Caufield
Armia/Kapanen
Roy

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Hutson
Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Newhook

Matheson for Hutson
Laine for Caufield
Dach for Slafkovsky
Kapanen for Newhook
Roy for Suzuki
Definitely fair and well thought out.

I'd go with the current PP1 with Hutson replacing Matheson and Caufield/Suzuki switching places.

My reasoning:

Matheson's shot from the point is officially not needed with Laine in the fold. I'm way more confident in Hutson's ability to gain the zone and get us set up than I am with him doing it.

Because of this, Suzuki's responsibilities lessen a little as well. He doesn't have to be the one the PP runs through exclusively anymore. He can go down to Caufield's position as a pass-first option, but can also walk to the net and do damage if necessary/look for Slaf cross-crease.

Caufield takes Suzuki's spot where he can play bumper/walk in and shoot bombs at anytime (much like Nick does now when there are no passes available). If you overcompensate to cover Cole, Laine is most likely open for the one-timer.

Laine as the Weber/Laine/Ovi whoever you want to name in his spot. He has the best shot on a team that has Cole Caufield on it which is insane. He needs to play here.

Slaf as in-front of the net, half wall on that side to cycle the puck around.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like this but what is the argument for having Newhook there instead of Dach? Need for a left shot player?

Yeah the left shot and I do think Newhook has a quicker and better shot than Dach which is really important if we want to work a one timer from the bumper position.

Dach is better as a passer and a general so I like him actually QBing PP2 from the half wall.

Reactions: Pazucha

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Is it possible for a Right handed forward Prospect to make the team if he's undeniably going to make the 1st PP wave better?

I am asking for a friend

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No matter the players he chooses, there are many options now which is great.....
Systemically, the overpassing has to stop..........looking for the perfect play and easy tap in almost doesn't exist.
More guys, have to take a one timer, and leave the opposition wondering how to defend.

Our PP system could have Lafleur Shutt and Lemaire out there, and it wouldn't score.
Stop the overpassing............

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don't think they've practiced the pp so far at camp, so whatever we've seen of it in games doesn't mean much

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
1st PP
Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield
Laine, Hutson

That's what it should be. Hutson can create so much confusion and movement for the opponent which will generate room for others to shoot. Laine's presence always makes teams cheat towards him and when they do Hutson can use all that extra ice in the middle to create opportunities closer to the net.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
They had Caufield setting up at RW to get them to use their brains out there. A potent PP will be setting up Caufield/Laine in their favourite spot for a one timer but also hitting them downhill on their strong side

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Slaf
Laine - CC - Suzuki
Matheson

(Hutson eventually draws in). Suzuki remains the true QB.

Suzuki options:
- shoot (great shot from that location)
- going low on his forehand, passes across to one of the snipers
- go low to Slaf
- reset to D

If Slaf gets it, options are:
- power move to net
- quick pass to CC
- cycle with Suzuki, going high on his forehand, pass to sniper
- reset to D

it’s basically- shoot from the right side or feed the righties across the ice. Like Tampa has stamkos on the left and Point as the bumper. The difference is Kooch shoots off a one-timer whereas Suzuki shoots from his strong side.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Hutson
Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Newhook

Matheson for Hutson
Laine for Caufield
Dach for Slafkovsky
Kapanen for Newhook
Roy for Suzuki
They also played Slaf and Caufield on their strong side 5v5 so I'm still trying to get my head around that.
The weird thing is Suzuki seems to be a very prolific goal scorer on that left side something we hadn't really seen out of him until last season.
His redirect the other evening was a thing of beauty and I still can't get over his one timer to win OT last season while standing below the goal line.

I'm hoping we do a deep dive into what worked and didn't work last season as well as identify where play broke down most in the Ozone.
I was constantly bringing up certain details and tendencies including player placement on the dot.
Zone entries do we really need to drop it so deep to build up speed?
Please don't bother with that drop pass at all if you aren't going to support the puck carrier back up the ice like 97% of the other teams do.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Personally I don't think Laine Caufield on the same PP is going to work and certainly not with Mike Matheson.
While people may think it's good to have Matheson's shot on the back end I prefer Hutson's ability to put pucks at and all around the net.
He is 1000% times better than Matheson at creating time to allow the forwards to find net front. It will provide for far more rebounds tips and redirects.
Slaf can become our Chris Kreider,

Last edited:
Reactions: morhilane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad