Proposal: Roster 2013/14

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
I actually think they might do that this year, at least if the people who run the NHL are smart. The worst possible thing is for Seth Jones to end up in Canada or Columbus.

Completely disagree.

Bettman fixed Pittsburgh by rigging the draft (saving them from complete financial ruin and imminent relocation) and has, by most accounts, finally fixed Edmonton the same way. The only next logical step (based on track record) is to move on to the next best market to "save" for the good of the NHL. Now, if YOU had the choice, which market would that be?

I hope the answer to that is obvious... Columbus.

PayItForward

Aug 18, 2012
Completely disagree.

Bettman fixed Pittsburgh by rigging the draft (saving them from complete financial ruin and imminent relocation) and has, by most accounts, finally fixed Edmonton the same way. The only next logical step (based on track record) is to move on to the next best market to "save" for the good of the NHL. Now, if YOU had the choice, which market would that be?

I hope the answer to that is obvious... Columbus.

Do people actually believe those drafts were rigged? Jeez, before the 2005 draft, everyone I knew thought they were going to rig it for the Rangers and all of a sudden after it's Pittsburgh.

And why would they want to fix Edmonton of all teams? There are so many teams that are ahead of Edmonton on that scale.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Do people actually believe those drafts were rigged? Jeez, before the 2005 draft, everyone I knew thought they were going to rig it for the Rangers and all of a sudden after it's Pittsburgh.

And why would they want to fix Edmonton of all teams? There are so many teams that are ahead of Edmonton on that scale.
People think the Crosby draft was rigged because the Penguins couldn't get financing for a new building and were about to relocate. Right after the draft, the state approved a $200+ mil new building on taxpayers dollars. Those familiar with PA politics knows that things like that don't come out of the blue like that without someone getting/giving something.

As far as Edmonton; the Crosby draft was different than the last 3 because Crosby was a generational talent and was crowned face of the league before he even got there.

I agree Columbus needs help but Seth Jones will be a mainstream media darling. He needs to be in a place that actually has media coverage and a national fan base. Not to mention dmen don't appeal to casual fans. A guy like Nathan Mackinnon would do more for that market than Jones.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012

Although most Canadians refuse to recognize it, Bettman did quite a bit to ensure Edmonton stay put after the Canadian dollar tanking cost Quebec and Winnpeg their teams.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oooh! Conspiracy things. I want in.

Rigging the draft for the Rangers doesn't make sense because that market was secure; rigging for the Pens, though, wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Rigging the draft for Columbus wouldn't be an awful financial idea for the league either; they've shown in the past they can average 18k+ in attendance, Give them a good team and that can be a strong market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad