Post-Game Talk: This is the end

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Most of those games you mention were low scoring games not counting empty net goals. hard to get much. Drai also made about 3 other significant plays on pucks where he was not getting an assist but developed the play, or caused the play. Not everything shows up on scoresheet.

Drai also most of series playing with the likes of Foegele, Holloway etc. Due to that harder for him to produce, also that his shot is f***ed because of a broken finger and whatever else we will hear about in injuries. Drai also has a full body shot one timer. Trouble with his form is if any part of the body is injured it can impact shot. Not ideal. But its how he shoots. When healthy he's a machine, when not the shot is all over the place.

In anycase one can do the converse and point out how many Key Panthers forwards didn't get a thing most of the games. Fact of the matter is McD was the leading scorer/producer in series.

Trouble was beating a good club 4X in a row is just a very very big ask.
Cup clinching goal was again scored by Florida’s first line. Can’t say floridas guys didn’t get it done. They did and they won because of it.

Reactions: Ibanez and Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lost by 1 goal. Hit a post. The 3rd line was instrumental all playoffs, especially there roles on the PK. Foegle scored a massive one to get us to 7

You blame Holland for not signing someone else.

Not to mention a healthy Kane could have been a strong winger.

What I understand is false excuses
Ahh yes. Ken Holland is amazing and that’s why we got here.

Lol Foegele? Guy who showed up for what, 1 or 2 games but was abysmal for the rest. Great example.

Reactions: CrazyJoeDavola

OfCorsiDid

Darkness consumes everything.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
What the f*** are you even saying dude.

I do understand how the cap works. You do realize that bad contracts that Holland signed made our cap bad right?

You understand your hero isn’t great at his job right?

I’m just gonna interject because f*** it. Nothing matters anymore.

I personally think that the conclusion you both need to come to is that this roster is not nearly as bad as you have thought and said it was, and that this roster could have been significantly better if Holland didn’t make big mistakes.

Both can be true fellas.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Thinking about my earlier post, I think that was part of my parents attitude to all the wins as well. They took it for granted.
Grade 11 and at a party in St. Albert when the Oilers won #5. After the game we debated going downtown to celebrate with the rest of the city. “Nah,”we said, “we’re having too much fun here. We’ll go next year…”

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’m just gonna interject because f*** it. Nothing matters anymore.

I personally think that the conclusion you both need to come to is that this roster is not nearly as bad as you have thought and said it was, and that this roster could have been significantly better if Holland didn’t make big mistakes.

Both can be true fellas.
I can absolutely agree with that. I even said Holland made some good moves. But he also made abysmal ones that made our cap situation dire and prevented him from putting us into an even better position to win the cup.

You could easily argue that his good moves got us to game 7 and his bad ones lost us the cup.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Lol Foegele? Guy who showed up for what, 1 or 2 games but was abysmal for the rest. Great example.
You know he pk'ed right? You're reachin dude. It was 1 goal in game 7 they lost

I fail to see your logic that Holland failed cuz he didn't add a 10mil dollar winger for Drai as the reason they lost

You're scrambling atm

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I can absolutely agree with that. I even said Holland made some good moves. But he also made abysmal ones that made our cap situation dire and prevented him from putting us into an even better position to win the cup.

You could easily argue that his good moves got us to game 7 and his bad ones lost us the cup.
I personally think the prison rules hockey cost us the cup. I think the better more skilled team lost. The Panthers did what they do, also Barkov is an absolute beast and Bob found his mojo.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Also, you know who figured out Bob on breakaways. Janmark, Foegle, and Brown

You know who didn't....Nuge

He got stuffed on 2. So are you blaming Holland for Nuge being in the top 6 also?

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
Totally gutted. Mostly sad at the no-shows from many of our top players…..
Isn’t we supposed to be a high scoring team?

1 goal when it matters the most against waiver quality Defence (Forsling, Mikkola & Kulikov(!!!)

No show from Con(nor) McDavid, Evan Bouchard and Leon Draisaitl.

They should be ashame of themselves…

Reactions: Oilhawks

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Of course it was a success lmao. We did incredibly well, beating one team and taking another to the brink, both of whom no one claimed we had any shot against. We were basically a McDrai good game away from a cup. This run makes me think we can win with Skinner, dude has some big games, he just needs to build on that.

All while shitting on another trash can western Canadian team. The Oilers remain western Canada's Daddy, have for the last 40 years and will for the next 40.

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks and rec28

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You know he pk'ed right? You're reachin dude. It was 1 goal in game 7 they lost

I fail to see your logic that Holland failed cuz he didn't add a 10mil dollar winger for Drai as the reason they lost

You're scrambling atm
I never said he failed cause he didn’t add a $10mill winger. There is a large variation for top 6 wingers. Foegele, Holloway, McLeod, Perry, current Kane are anything but. In short spurts they can be but overall, they definitely aren’t.

Yea Foegele PKed, he was 5th in icetime for our PK forwards. Brown, Janmark, Nuge and McLeod are our main ones.

I’m what way am I scrambling.

If you wanna think Holland is some incredible GM and want to ignore that he put the team in the terrible cap situation you brought up, power to you.

Alexandre Achutti

Oct 6, 2019
The frustration is undeniable at this moment, there is no way to hide it.

But I think there is also the feeling that our beloved Oilers had a great season.

The Panthers came from a 1-4 finish in the Finals last season to become the champions this season.

We came out stronger than this.

Next season there will be more, now we can only hope that our players come back at least as well as they played this season and that we all have good luck on our side.

Victory and defeat, that's life, our time will come.

God bless us all.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Grade 11 and at a party in St. Albert when the Oilers won #5. After the game we debated going downtown to celebrate with the rest of the city. “Nah,”we said, “we’re having too much fun here. We’ll go next year…”

Not as much regret but I missed out on the party in 05-06 because I was in high school and I regret not going out to enjoy this run as much as I could have (game 6 downtown would have been fun). Mostly watched on my own, some with family and others with friends that are mostly not sports fans. Oh well…

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
He didn’t show up for the final 2 games. Thats the truth.

It's a dumb simplification of something complex. It completely ignores the Panthers role in it

Blaming McDavid is insaneville, the entire team was playing for him. He set all kinds of records, in both seasons, while playing hurt

He just carried us to one bounce away from a cup. He is going to carry this team to at least one cup in the next five years, and you are shitting on him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I never said he failed cause he didn’t add a $10mill winger. There is a large variation for top 6 wingers. Foegele, Holloway, McLeod, Perry, current Kane are anything but. In short spurts they can be but overall, they definitely aren’t.

Yea Foegele PKed, he was 5th in icetime for our PK forwards. Brown, Janmark, Nuge and McLeod are our main ones.

I’m what way am I scrambling.

If you wanna think Holland is some incredible GM and want to ignore that he put the team in the terrible cap situation you brought up, power to you.
What part of game 7 and 1 goal are you not computing?

I'd love to know who this mysterious cap player/s would have been to win us this game?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What part of game 7 and 1 goal are you not computing?

I'd love to know who this mysterious cap player/s would have been to win us this game?
Who signed Nurse and Campbell to their contracts which has directly impacted our cap in very negative ways?

Need to get arvidsson to play with Drai. Holloway in over his head this series for the most part. Hoping he grows into his role next season with regular play.
Good but frustrating player. Will show flashes but then be literally invisible for large stretches. Right now is probably a 3rd liner who can play up in the lineup with injuries or if he gets hot for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad