GDT: Rocky - Oilers v Flyers - 8 PM on SN1

Status
Not open for further replies.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Our shooting percentage is 32nd in the league and our save percentage is 31st. At some point, those will normalize. The real issue is that the 2nd pairing is decade of darkness levels bad. None of the options brought in are as good as Ceci- he's ideally a #5 and we brought in a bunch of #7s. Nurse also looks worse than he ever has if that's possible.

One of the areas Mcleod excelled in was skating the puck out of the Dzone. He got Nurse/Ceci/Desharnais, all of whom are poor passers, out of trouble more times than we can count. Henrique has a lot of strengths but skating speed isn't one of them. Not having a speedy centre to alleviate the pressure has made Nurse and the 2nd pair as a whole look a lot, lot worse.

Disagree. Stetcher is better in every single metric. There is a huge difference in the Oilers haven’t tried the best option in the top 4 vs who the Oilers have used aren’t top 4. Dermott is a borderline NHL’er and Emberson is still in the infancy of his NHL career. Knob refusing to use Stetcher is mind boggling. Nurse and a Stetcher had good metrics together in a very small sample size. Let’s see how that pair pans out before we start saying no one has worked.

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
TBH I think most of this bad start, like last year, just goes down to 97 not playing like himself.

This team is entirely reliant on him being the best player in the world... they are utterly lost when that isn't the case. Probably even more so than if he was actually injured and not in the line up.

Better hope he snaps out of it soon.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
I'm a bit freaked out you know this disney movie so well.

Dorothy theres no team in Kansas anymore and Winnipeg doesn't even have an airport and Florida gots Hurricanes and the Canes play in Carolina. This made sense in my head.

It's honestly one of the few that I think is any good (*flameshield on*), haven't seen it since I was a kid though. And to @94 Oil Drops as well, the Lewis Carroll story is great IMO, either way

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Disagree. Stetcher is better in every single metric. There is a huge difference in the Oilers haven’t tried the best option in the top 4 vs who the Oilers have used aren’t top 4. Dermott is a borderline NHL’er and Emberson is still in the infancy of his NHL career. Knob refusing to use Stetcher is mind boggling. Nurse and a Stetcher had good metrics together in a very small sample size. Let’s see how that pair pans out before we start saying no one has worked.
I like Stecher and was advocating for him. He can’t do shit around our net, easily outmuscled. It’s just not a good fit considering the makeup of the defense imo.

If we keep sliding might as well try it, but I changed my opinion on Stecher after watching enough of him. He’s decently smart, can skate alright, decent with the puck, but unless he can lead the league in blocked shots and stick check like a demon he’s not Kris Russell at his size.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Oilers need to watch Tampa

Their forwards are all at hash marks back checking like crazy

Connor leon and co could learn something

Bunch of goals were shit our goalies have let in, but just simple back checking would have stopped a bunch

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I like Stecher and was advocating for him. He can’t do shit around our net, easily outmuscled. It’s just not a good fit considering the makeup of the defense imo.

If we keep sliding might as well try it, but I changed my opinion on Stecher after watching enough of him. He’s decently smart, can skate alright, decent with the puck, but unless he can lead the league in blocked shots and stick check like a demon he’s not Kris Russell at his size.
Broberg

3GP 1-2-3 +2

I really dislike this new management. Everyone here was also cheering on the no-match and was giving the, "He didn't want to be here." beta excuse.

He has more points than the Oilers have goals this year while we watch the two AHLers who were supposed to replace him shit the bed.

So saw this all coming. That and the results of the shift to smaller, slower and older.

Maybe they will start to prove me wrong.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Broberg

3GP 1-2-3 +2

I really dislike this new management. Everyone here was also cheering on the no-match and was giving the, "He didn't want to be here." beta excuse.

He has more points than the Oilers have goals this year while we watch the two AHLers who were supposed to replace him shit the bed.

So saw this all coming. That and the results of the shift to smaller, slower and older.

okay again.

2 of broberg assists came as he sat on the bench after not being involved in the play. Passing it from his slot area and going off on a change. this happened twice. Its lucky. He is also getting caved in his own end. Im watching the wild-blues game and he doesn't look all that hot, especially for 4.6 mil.

Holloway has done nothing except have 1 hit tonight. He looks lost out there and looks like about to hurt himself making a play, so he looks no different than last year.

These guys aren't anything special and if we had them in our lineup our record doesn't change.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Broberg

3GP 1-2-3 +2

Well I always thought we needed to make room for this kid, even if it meant moving Kulak to make the room. I would have wanted us to match that deal though, or better yet give him what he asked for earlier, which was much less. I'd rather overpay for potential than on past performance of someone out of their prime

Holloway is okay, but nothing special. Broberg is a good bet because he's got it between the ears

North

Jun 25, 2009
Well I always thought we needed to make room for this kid, even if it meant moving Kulak to make the room. I would have wanted us to match that deal though, or better yet give him what he asked for earlier, which was much less. I'd rather overpay for potential than on past performance of someone out of their prime

Holloway is okay, but nothing special. Broberg is a good bet because he's got it between the ears
Neither of these guys would make a lick of difference because of the team in general is playing.

Trading Kulak to make room for Broberg in the hopes he could cover off Kulak’s ability would be a special kind of dumb.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Neither of these guys would make a lick of difference because of the team in general is playing.

Trading Kulak to make room for Broberg in the hopes he could cover off Kulak’s ability would be a special kind of dumb.
Also offensively it looks STL is better off with these two on the bench in terms of Ozone time. at least tonight.

in usage it looks like Broberg is playing 3rd pair as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Sure Broberg isn't a huge difference maker atm. However it's not like Kulak is that critical a piece either. How is swapping out a bottom pairing Dman a special kind of dumb?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Sure Broberg isn't a huge difference maker atm. However it's not like Kulak is that critical a piece either. How is swapping out a bottom pairing Dman a special kind of dumb?
about 2mil in extra cap hit is why it isn't a special kind of dumb. also its a 2 years contract. a 4.6 mil D on your bottom pair for 2 years is dumb. Broberg won't be anything during this contract.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Also offensively it looks STL is better off with these two on the bench in terms of Ozone time. at least tonight.

in usage it looks like Broberg is playing 3rd pair as well.
Maybe I haven't tracked these conversations all the way, but are people really saying that Broberg or Holloway would be the difference makers that would have made our 3 losses into wins?

If so I'm not part of that. I like Broberg in particular because I think he'd do just fine in our D right now, and has future potential much like Bouchard did once.

Him playing low minutes isn't that weird either. We are talking about a young player early in the season

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
about 2mil in extra cap hit is why it isn't a special kind of dumb. also its a 2 years contract. a 4.6 mil D on your bottom pair for 2 years is dumb. Broberg won't be anything during this contract.
We just see this player very differently.

Also we could have got away with Broberg on the right side so if keeping Kulak is so critical then still could have. We also could have kept Broberg for much less than his current deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad