GDT: Rocky - Oilers v Flyers - 8 PM on SN1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Following the same script as Woodcroft, looking like a genius the first season with a team that was one of the best in the league after a slow start then drops the ball in preseason with his player deployments so team isn't ready to start the season then starts making odd panicked moves early in season to try to right the ship while, as usual, resorting to McDrai to save the day.

It's either this, or, there's a problem with the core players AGAIN forcing the coaches to make odd decisions.

I think I take Door #2 since this seems to be the pattern with every coach since this core has been put together.

I don’t think you can blame the coach at this point. Knoblauch is a smart guy.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yep Nurse has not looked engaged at all from what I've seen (granted I missed the Chicago game).

Kane is a big loss, the lineup looks so much better with him in there. And he's a $5 million player, that's a big hole in anyone's lineup. But guys get hurt, others have to step up.

Usually the issue with this team is the depth, but it's the big guys that have let us down so far. I thought Skinner looked pretty good against Calgary, but Hyman, Nuge, McDavid, Draisaitl, that's our identity, they're gonna have to drag this team into the battle. To my eye, Podkolzin is trying, so I'm glad it looks like he's getting a little bump.

I've liked Brown, Ryan, and Perry's games, I really don't think this start is on them.
Interested you missed his best game. He was really good against the blackhawks. Looks engaged, his fancy’s were good.

Overall he looks like someone who missed the preseason and quite possibly maybe returned too early and not quite over his injury.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Hey Fellas,

I'm pumped for the start of the season. Been a great summer, can't wait for the boys to get 'er going. LFG!
tenor.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I absolutely hate that this is a legitimate issue, but every single time we've lost that rah rah heart and soul type from the room the team has gone limp. Hendricks in 2017, Gagner to start 22/23, Kane and Gagner this year. Nurse should be that guy in theory, but he's a liability and has lost any and all bite he had at one point.

It's a massive indictment on the leadership group that they effectively need a mascot (caveat that Kane much more impactful on ice than the other two) in order for the team to achieve the bare minimum of appearing to have a sign of life.

Although Perry was the whipping boy the whole off season, he appears to be the only one playing with a pulse in this sense so far. He has two goals (yes - I'm counting the one he got against the Flames), has created other chances, and appears to be trying to get inside the margins of the game. Sadly, he is completely on an island in this respect on the team.
I think this is giving Perry too much credit. His goal was from not even shooting the puck at net, and I'm not sure what he was even doing as not even a pass was there on that play. His game is simple, buzz around the net and he does that slowly enough, and isn't part of much of anything else and he isn't a unit specific player either, or a defender, or a goal scorer.

Apparently Perrys sole reason for being here is as some sort of feel good amulet that has been part of cup finals. Maybe I'm superstitious, maybe it works. But Perry at this age as a hockey player doesn't work too well.

Its easier for the bit players to do things early in season, and sometimes they do, and usually theres not much of through entirety of seasons. Last season we had handfuls of players that barely scored or played appreciable roles. This year we have another bunch of similar and the same.

The weight falls on the same players it always does. The only additions here that have ever relieved any of that weight are Kane, Hyman and Ekholm. All the other additions aren't significant. I was hoping Henrique would be but nor sure he will be.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Interested you missed his best game. He was really good against the blackhawks. Looks engaged, his fancy’s were good.

Overall he looks like someone who missed the preseason and quite possibly maybe returned too early and not quite over his injury.
I also missed the first period of the calgary game, so haven't seen my team score a goal yet lol.

I'm a little bit concerned that there's a few guys that are still nursing injuries from the playoff run.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It’s my birthday and I’m going out to watch it sadly. Hopefully the BS ends tonight.
The BS never ends. Each birthday "Celebration" you're a year older. I tried to doctor the odometer but nothing works. Heh, happy BDAY, I would have no future writing cards.

Roses are red
Shit is brown
Legs feel like lead
Don't want to frown.

OIlers win the game tonight just for you and all of us. Happy Ending.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I'm a bit freaked out you know this disney movie so well.

Dorothy theres no team in Kansas anymore and Winnipeg doesn't even have an airport and Florida gots Hurricanes and the Canes play in Carolina. This made sense in my head.
Oh come now! Lots of us younger folks still know Alice In Wonderland. ;) Reminds me of the time I visited Oxford, England and got to see where Lewis Carroll studied before he wrote the book. Pretty neat!
tumblr_m5f6bv39ry1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

When do we get to the part where the Queen of Hearts starts saying "off with their heads"?
Let's just hope that after a short while the Oilers will turn things around and make us all say something like:
56f0ef7ea6773a658f965ca8eca41c24.gif

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Stecher should help Nurse because he can actually make a breakout pass. Only problem is he'll need to get the puck to be able to do that, and Nurse is struggling with converting basic D to D passes at this point.

One of the big issues Dermott and Emberson had with Nurse is both had a tendancy to slow down and let Nurse lead the play. Stecher's a fair bit more proactive with the puck.

Imo this is how the defence should have been from day one. While I do think Emberson is the long term fit with Nurse, at least let him double his games played in the NHL first before tossing back into the top 4.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
How long before Nurse starts getting booed at home? I feel like he’s about a month away from getting the Tom Poti treatment.
I know what you mean but I’m imagining him out mowing his lawn and his neighbors booing him from across the street or hauling in groceries from Costco and getting heckled bringing in the oversized jug of olive oil and a case of avocados.

• Haha
Reactions: Cloned
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad