GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes - 7:00 PM - MSG

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
The Devils were dominant through the first half of 22-23. Less so in the 2nd half of the season, but it was not a "pull something out their ass" type of season.

We are 4-2, and that's good, but given the 2 better teams we've faced controlled the games we lost, I can't yet say this years version is better then the 22-22 team.
To be fair we also looked like crap against bad teams last year lol. I wouldn't even put Utah in the "bad teams" category. They did beat the Isles and Rangers with a high number of GF.

I'll say the team looks a lot more structured to me. The Canes always give us a bad time. Even in 2022-2023, they beat us in similar fashion in December I believe. To me, they already look miles ahead from 2023-2024.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To be fair we also looked like crap against bad teams last year lol. I wouldn't even put Utah in the "bad teams" category. They did beat the Isles and Rangers with a high number of GF.

I'll say the team looks a lot more structured to me. The Canes always give us a bad time. Even in 2022-2023, they beat us in similar fashion in December I believe. To me, they already look miles ahead from 2023-2024.
Fair to say we look better then last year. Especially in net, but in front of the goalies as well.

We didn't look great tonight, but Carolina is a tough team and I do think the rested vs tired team was at least a bit of a factor.

Still very early though.

Reactions: Devs3cups

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It would of been nice to get a loser point out of this one. If Bratt hit that one timer who knows , we could of slipped a win in overtime or a shootout. Atleast they made the game close but it took a 5 on 3 to get back into it. They can play better than this. These kind of games are going to happen and Carolina despite its roster changes are still a very good team. If we put up a game like this against (no offense) Columbus or Anaheim than I would be more annoyed with this loss.

Getting Luke back will be big for our offense at 5 on 5. It will be interesting to see how Keefe handles his minutes/deployment.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Fair to say we look better then last year. Especially in net, but in front of the goalies as well.

We didn't look great tonight, but Carolina is a tough team and I do think the rested vs tired team was at least a bit of a factor.

Still very early though.
It’s a good sign imo that we look pretty good this early. I expect them to get better as they get more comfortable with the new system, new players gel, top players continue getting into their groove, we get fully healthy, etc.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Still very early though.
Our goalie is the only reason we didn't get blown out. I do expect us to improve though. Is think after 6 or 7 games the system still isn't 100% natural yet, and they sometimes have to think about what to do. It should help once it becomes completely instinctual. Getting Luke and Pesce back could help the fact that our zone exits were horrific today, and was a large reason we couldn't establish any offensive zone time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's not just fatigue too. 4 days sitting around stewing after a bad opener and prepping for a division rival probably helped them have more jump too.

We needed to be a lot sharper and they weren't prepared for that. They will learn.

I also don't think the Dougie pairing or the 4th line wre going to get uniquely buried like that most nights.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Gotta dimish dougie TOI, he's getting buried on the dzone while not doing shit offensively esp in the pp. Keep him freshier for ev, let Casey run the point in pp1 till luke returns

I dont like his fit next to dillon but until Pesce and luke returns it wont be easy to split them up as siegs and kov are playing well together

Casey and nemec also got absolutely killed by canes' forechecking

Jack, bratt and meier clicking could be a game changer for us altogher nico's line gonna be super frustrating as they gonna get tons of scoring chances but misses the skill to finish them

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
We looked gassed and lost most of the board battles. Sometimes I think we should trade a defenseman for a rugged top 6 forward. Let’s see how they bounce back. Unfortunately, they still suck in back to back games.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Hard to look at this as anything other than a "scheduling loss". Trip to Europe and 6th game already. Canes were fresh and rested.

On to the next. Nice to see Jack came alive.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah not going to project too much from that because of circumstance, but they sucked balls last night. it's a miracle they were even close because they got utterly dominated from the drop of the puck through the end. hopefully they learn from that but they just kept giving the puck away, no answer for a hard forecheck so they need to work on that.

at least jack and markstrom both looked excellent

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Nemec needs to be in the minors. Too slow right now and the teams got better dmen than him atm.
Please, don't write nonsense. It doesn't work for me. If you want you can quote other man who is hating Nemec or Devils or just not that smart and can't watch the game by eyes. OR! Yo can write to the blind man. He will agree with you. May be.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad