Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He seems like the type to take advantage of his opportunities from the small sample sizes I have seen so far. I like his growth from age 13-17 so far. Both goal and point totals move up the more he gets comfortable in each league he filters through. Only thing I would criticize is his lack of games played. Most so far is 59 games in 19/20.
That can be said with every prospect drafted this yrs with the pandemic

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011

For the love of God can someone explain all this data? In no way am I a data driven geek, but I still like to understand.
Like zone Entries- 97% Entries, you mean almost every time he was the one on the team to carry to puck???
And what the h@ll was he doing the other 3% of the time:eek2:

Reactions: Gyfu

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
For the love of God can someone explain all this data? In no way am I a data driven geek, but I still like to understand.
Like zone Entries- 97% Entries, you mean almost every time he was the one on the team to carry to puck???
And what the h@ll was he doing the other 3% of the time:eek2:
My bad, I didn't quoted the legend of the graph. All stats represents Riley's percentile among qualifying players (QMJHL forwards with at least 120 even strength minutes played during 2020-21 QMJHL season + post-season). So, for example, he carried the puck on zone entries more often than 97% of QMJHL forwards.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Thank you. I wonder if he would have made it. U18's is just one Canadian team right? Not red and white like the U17?

U17 is three teams, red, white and black.

U18 is one team, yes.

With how strong the U18 team was at centre... MacTavish, Wright, Bedard, etc... and the centres they used on the wings, and the other Quebec forwards drafted ahead of him who also didn't go. I don't think he would have made the U18 team.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
U17 is three teams, red, white and black.

U18 is one team, yes.

With how strong the U18 team was at centre... MacTavish, Wright, Bedard, etc... and the centres they used on the wings, and the other Quebec forwards drafted ahead of him who also didn't go. I don't think he would have made the U18 team.
I am curious to read all the other Q forward you saw ahead of him last season....
As a fact, he out performed 95% of them....What am I missing?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I am curious to read all the other Q forward you saw ahead of him last season....
As a fact, he out performed 95% of them....What am I missing?

As draft prospects? I liked

Bolduc, L'Heureux, and Zach Dean

Also, Bourgault (but due to birthday wasn't eligible for U18 team)

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
As draft prospects? I liked

Bolduc, L'Heureux, and Zach Dean

Also, Bourgault (but due to birthday wasn't eligible for U18 team)
The only one who played up to Kidney's level was L'Heureux and Kidney's play exceeded all these guys by a margin in the playoffs.

So I am still "amazed" by your stance.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The only one who played up to Kidney's level was L'Heureux and Kidney's play exceeded all these guys by a margin in the playoffs.

So I am still "amazed" by your stance.

1) the four forwards i namedwere all first rounders. Kidney was taken at the end of the second round at least 30 picks later. There are at least 4 NHL teams out there who preferred those players to Kidney so im not sure why my stance is "amazing." Its shared by actual NHL scouts. That doesnt mean they are correct... but it does mean that my opinion is shared by others and shouldnt be seen as this amazing outlier.

2) the U18 team was picked before the Q playoffs... so im not sure how his q playoff performance would have influenced the selection process if he was eligible.

3) this was one of the most dominant U18 teams ever assembled for a tourney so again. How many guys would he even have a chance to displace?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Welp, now I'm hungry again. Thanks :laugh:
1319509393.0.jpg

Not hungrier then Andrew Mangiapane :laugh:

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
1) the four forwards i namedwere all first rounders. Kidney was taken at the end of the second round at least 30 picks later. There are at least 4 NHL teams out there who preferred those players to Kidney so im not sure why my stance is "amazing." Its shared by actual NHL scouts. That doesnt mean they are correct... but it does mean that my opinion is shared by others and shouldnt be seen as this amazing outlier.

2) the U18 team was picked before the Q playoffs... so im not sure how his q playoff performance would have influenced the selection process if he was eligible.

3) this was one of the most dominant U18 teams ever assembled for a tourney so again. How many guys would he even have a chance to displace?
It just shows how a 2nd rounder can turn pretty quickly better than some 1st rounders.
As for picking a U-18 team, let's just say that there were not many capacities to better his exposure due to the pandemic.
All scouts for that team went with previous season records as none were playing in the other Leagues but the Q.
Quebec scouts were not even allowed to travel to the Maritimes.
Just be happy your team picked a potential 1st rounder in any given year at that rank.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It just shows how a 2nd rounder can turn pretty quickly better than some 1st rounders.
As for picking a U-18 team, let's just say that there were not many capacities to better his exposure due to the pandemic.
All scouts for that team went with previous season records as none were playing in the other Leagues but the Q.
Quebec scouts were not even allowed to travel to the Maritimes.
Just be happy your team picked a potential 1st rounder in any given year at that rank.

ummm... I'm pretty sure that NHL teams were able to scout the Q games last year. Video was available, and again, they saw 4 other forwards in the Q whom they preferred (3 of whom were eligible for the U18).

As a Habs fan, I hope he turns out the best of the bunch.

I just can't get behind the idea that its an amazing take to not have him #1 in the league.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
ummm... I'm pretty sure that NHL teams were able to scout the Q games last year. Video was available, and again, they saw 4 other forwards in the Q whom they preferred (3 of whom were eligible for the U18).

As a Habs fan, I hope he turns out the best of the bunch.

I just can't get behind the idea that its an amazing take to not have him #1 in the league.
So you base scouting on videos and Youtubes?
They could simply NOT travel to the Maritimes...
NBers could not even travel to NS.

This just shows how far you are from commenting something knowledgeably....

Why don't you wait till you see him?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
So you base scouting on videos and Youtubes?
They could simply NOT travel to the Maritimes...
NBers could not even travel to NS.

This just shows how far you are from commenting something knowledgeably....

Why don't you wait till you see him?

Full Game video? yes

youtubes? no.

There is plenty of scouting teams did based on video.

do you really think that NHL team scouting depts didn't look at him?

Again I liked him and I hope he turns out the best of the Q forwards, I just thought three other draft eligibles were better last season. You have your opinion that they arent and that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. It doesn't mean anyone else's opinion is invalid though. And it doesn't mean that other people didn't see him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hendrix Lapierre has been return to the Titan, so that may cut into his ice time but should help the team in the standings. The Titan have been struggling lately with just 2 wins in their last 8 so this should help

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Hendrix Lapierre has been return to the Titan, so that may cut into his ice time but should help the team in the standings. The Titan have been struggling lately with just 2 wins in their last 8 so this should help
This changes the team entirely, and for the good. Having Lapierre and Kidney as your top centermen is incredible.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Joking aside he looked extremely good when we faced the flames last season

He has high intensity and skates well. Doesn't take his NHL spot for granted as a 25 year old. Just another example on how it takes time and you don't really know what you got until age 24+ in most cases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad