Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
With the potential of KK out with us. I'm very high on Kidney. I think make a steal and it's important to have great prospect C's.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
If he made the team it would be the shock of all shocks.. he's nowhere near physically ready.

There's a lot to like about his game but he'll need to develop his skating, get physically stronger.. there are a lot of things to like though, his coach raves about his compete and his ability to make the right play all over the ice. He has very good hands and very good playmaking. There's a chance for a really good player here but most limitations are physical and the way he attacks the game, as what he does in junior might not translate to the pros so he will need to learn how to produce at the next level.
Speaking about Bergeron, in 2003, he was not better prepared physically than Kidney now, I would submit.
I remember seeing him at camp like a man among boys....he was overwhelmingly dominating.
The same can be said of Kidney in his first preseason game against Saint-John for the little ice time he was given in a game where the Titan took the lead and then let the rookies play most of the left time.
He appeared in top physical shape and I will remind that Bergeron also was tagged as a not so quick skater but he was a smart cookie with the puck doing all the right things on 200' of ice.
I would add that Bergeron was probably more physical, but the comparison with Suzuki is a great one.

Kidney is the kind that could force the hand of Hockey Canada to take him to the World juniors like what happened to Bergeron....and we all know how that ended for Bergeron.

However I fully expect him back, but at 19 YO could be a whole different ball game.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Speaking about Bergeron, in 2003, he was not better prepared physically than Kidney now, I would submit.
I remember seeing him at camp like a man among boys....he was overwhelmingly dominating.
The same can be said of Kidney in his first preseason game against Saint-John for the little ice time he was given in a game where the Titan took the lead and then let the rookies play most of the left time.
He appeared in top physical shape and I will remind that Bergeron also was tagged as a not so quick skater but he was a smart cookie with the puck doing all the right things on 200' of ice.
I would add that Bergeron was probably more physical, but the comparison with Suzuki is a great one.

Kidney is the kind that could force the hand of Hockey Canada to take him to the World juniors like what happened to Bergeron....and we all know how that ended for Bergeron.

However I fully expect him back, but at 19 YO could be a whole different ball game.

Main objective this year will be physical maturity and improving his skating plus bringing that game from the play-offs to the regular season.

Reactions: bopeep and montreal

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Main objective this year will be physical maturity and improving his skating plus bringing that game from the play-offs to the regular season.
I don't know what you are referring to, but Kidney was consistent all season long although he lived through long interruptions in very hard conditions in the pandemic....it was not easy to stay focused and I would add that he kept focused and resilient.

Reactions: bopeep

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't know what you are referring to, but Kidney was consistent all season long although he lived through long interruptions in very hard conditions in the pandemic....it was not easy to stay focused and I would add that he kept focused and resilient.

He was a sub PPG player during the season and had a near 2 PPG stretch in the playoffs. I want to see that level of production consistently through this season.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I know that you're not comparing them but if there is a comparison to do, I don't think where looking at the good Bruins C. I think he can play more a David Krejci type of game

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
I know that you're not comparing them but if there is a comparison to do, I don't think where looking at the good Bruins C. I think he can play more a David Krejci type of game
If Riley could duplicate Krejci's numbers in the NHL, I know that the Management would be ecstatic 10 years down the road.....you are talking about a player who has the shot at being on the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: WinterLion

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If Riley could duplicate Krejci's numbers in the NHL, I know that the Management would be ecstatic 10 years down the road.....you are talking about a player who has the shot at being on the Hall of Fame.
Not necessarily saying he will have the same stats but I'm talking about there playing style

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Bergeron was always a good skater and was significantly bigger and stronger than Kidney at the same age

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Reactions: jaffy27

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
good start to the preseason with 5 pts in 2 games, he looks very skinny though, will need a lot of work with the physical tools of adding mass, strength, speed. Interested to see how he does over the next couple of years though.
His 17 points in 9 playoff games is eye opening.

He will be fun to follow

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
good start to the preseason with 5 pts in 2 games, he looks very skinny though, will need a lot of work with the physical tools of adding mass, strength, speed. Interested to see how he does over the next couple of years though.

How can you see that when he is on the ice with his shoulder pads, elbow pads, pants, etc? Cant understand that. Every player has different shoulder pads... He could have gain 15 lbs or lost 15 and you would not see it.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019

Did he get those numbers as 2C behind Lapierre? If so that's really impressive!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How can you see that when he is on the ice with his shoulder pads, elbow pads, pants, etc? Cant understand that. Every player has different shoulder pads... He could have gain 15 lbs or lost 15 and you would not see it.

it's very easy to see, shoulder pads, elbow pads don't have anything to do with being skinny, it's not like they are wearing huge shoulder pads but even if they did it would stand out.

Did he get those numbers as 2C behind Lapierre? If so that's really impressive!

yes i believe so at least in the first game where he got 3 pts though I didn't see that one and only watched a few shifts of the 2nd game.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Look at the video from when he was drafted. He's a beanpole still.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Look at the video from when he was drafted. He's a beanpole still.

In real clothes yes... But shoulder pads? Impossible to tell. 5 years ago, only by having a pair of Bauer shoulder pads instead of the CCM and you look bigger on the ice, because they are simply bigger. Cant say for the past 2-3 years, because I am not following the stock as much as I was before.

There are many possible options to see if he is bigger... Lets say he is more quick, shoot is better, yes it can be technique but can be weights, if you see him in real clothes, etc. However, you cant see if he gained muscles but watching him in all his hockey stock on a video on ice.

Reminds me one of my friend who played professionaly. 6f3 190 lbs.. the upper body is really not big, but on ice, he looks like a monster due to all his padding and you could not even tell if you see him in the street.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In real clothes yes... But shoulder pads? Impossible to tell. 5 years ago, only by having a pair of Bauer shoulder pads instead of the CCM and you look bigger on the ice, because they are simply bigger. Cant say for the past 2-3 years, because I am not following the stock as much as I was before.

There are many possible options to see if he is bigger... Lets say he is more quick, shoot is better, yes it can be technique but can be weights, if you see him in real clothes, etc. However, you cant see if he gained muscles but watching him in all his hockey stock on a video on ice.

Reminds me one of my friend who played professionaly. 6f3 190 lbs.. the upper body is really not big, but on ice, he looks like a monster due to all his padding and you could not even tell if you see him in the street.

but that's more about upper body strength which is not something I would go by just off how they look in pads. The shoulders aren't where your weight is so you aren't really looking there. Legs are tougher due to thick leg pads so it is of course much better to see them in street clothes but 100% you can tell if someone is skinny or not just by looking at that on the ice. Now some will be tougher if they are more in the middle, not fat or skinny which is much easier to see.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Looks like the playmaking center we need in future

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

But people here are saying that he looks skinny. I don't understand what you're arguing, because it would make sense if someone mentioned that he looked bigger on the ice.

You can look bigger with bigger equipment, but if the guy looks skinny, it's generally not just the equipment.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad