Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like Joshua Roy, he is looks like a steal. Pretty happy that MTL select Kidney and Roy. They are 1st round talent. Both have top 6 potential.

Good draft dart picks yes. How they turn out? It's up to the hunger they have to be NHL impact players. Never settle and with Kidney, he had a taste of disapointment after the rookie camp. What does he do about it now? Q stats is only one area and he has to crack the WJC. Forcing his way on that team and maybe we can call him a B+ or grade A. But right now, for as well as he is doing in the Q, he is a grade B

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I’m surprised no one posted this nasty goal.

Super happy to have this guy.

images

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Yup this highlight with the poise , hands and general stance had me thinking about Suzuki too

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
He reminds me a bit if Suzuki actually.

Waaaaayyyyyy too early to predict if he'll have NHL success. But kidney, roy, Farrell, and Mysak are at least good offensive prospects.

Mysak will most probably be the only nhl regular out of them as 3rd or 4th line guy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He reminds me a bit if Suzuki actually.

Waaaaayyyyyy too early to predict if he'll have NHL success. But kidney, roy, Farrell, and Mysak are at least good offensive prospects.

I tend to agree with this. He's clever and crafty with how he puts up production. Well above average hockey IQ. I think he had a rough development camp and I feel this is a good thing for him cause he realized where he is game is at when compared to guys older than him but also knocking on the NHL door.

Hunger to improve is the most important ingredient in development IMO. Never settle and lets see if he can add to his development resume by getting a WJC spot at age 18.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just don't see what kidney and roy have in order to be nhl regulars.

Just the humble opinion of an ordinary hockey fan that watched very little of them

They are developing well but it's a long road. They might improve their numbers even more or they might fall flat on their face once they turn pro. Guess work. However, I rather see them doing what they are doing at the moment vs struggling. Just cause fans talk about potential and what they could possibly be... it don't really mean we think they will be NHL impact players for sure.

Edmhabber

Nov 9, 2021
They are developing well but it's a long road. They might improve their numbers even more or they might fall flat on their face once they turn pro. Guess work. However, I rather see them doing what they are doing at the moment vs struggling. Just cause fans talk about potential and what they could possibly be... it don't really mean we think they will be NHL impact players for sure.

I keep reading that both Kidney and Roy are poor, or at least very average, skaters. Can someone who has actually watched them this year (I haven’t) confirm that, or have both of them improved in that regard?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I keep reading that both Kidney and Roy are poor, or at least very average, skaters. Can someone who has actually watched them this year (I haven’t) confirm that, or have both of them improved in that regard?

I'm no expert on skating mechanics, I was a terrible skater but I would say both are more average. Poor skaters to me are Biondi, Teasadale, RHP, Gordin. Kidney and Roy need to get quicker, add mass and strength, which hopefully with improved lower body strength will help matters.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only one game but I got a chance to see Kidney play in Halifax against the Mooseheads last Thursday. Solid player in terms of Q standards but not sure he turns into anything in the NHL (from what I seen). He's got a very high mountain to climb in development IMO. At this stage, I would have him as a B type or B- type of prospect. No better talent than Ikonen was. Something like that.

I have more faith in Roy even though both are doing well as 18 year olds in the Q this year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He will get better wingers, if Lafrance plays with Lapierre then he will get MacArthur or Kidney and Lafrance will play together

Belgarde is a center though right? One year older than Kidney. It's possible they try to spread out their top 3 lines at 5/5 and then go with two stacked PP units.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad