Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Triples makes it safe.

t6jx16r7lqi71.png

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Pretty underrated prospect, 50 points, 20 goals in 38 games. Good stats at 18 years old.

Great hands, great two-way ability, got high hockey IQ.

I think is going to be at least Top 9 C in NHL, if his translate his offensive game at higher level, can be a good top 6 C.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty underrated prospect, 50 points, 20 goals in 38 games. Good stats at 18 years old.

I think is going to be at least Top 9 C in NHL, if his translate his offensive game at higher level, can be a good top 6 C.

We've got a decent crop of young forwards and prospects, especially for a Timmins crop. Timmins' record at forward is an abomination. But this is what the forward position looks like:

Farrell Suzuki Caufield
Roy Kidney Mysak
Heineman Poehling Ylonen
RemPitlick Evans Simoneau/RHP/Tuch/Stapley

Need to add a couple high end forwards in the next couple of drafts with all the picks we're getting.

The defense already looks bright

Guhle Mailloux
Romanov Norlinder
Harris Schuneman, Struble, Fairbrother, Jackeye, Trudeau, Kostenko

Last edited:

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Kidney, at 18 YO, is currently one of the best 18 YOs in the Q offensively....
But he is one of the best players anticipating the play and visioning the ice, plus his stickhandling is one of the best and his IQ is simply top level.
Right now, he is right up there with Hendrix Lapierre as the best forward on his team.

He will be an NHLer and it would be scandalous that the Habs once again miss on such an opportunity.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

I like the top9 comparison skills wise.. but his stature.. Not size.. just spells another timmins high skilled low end forward who isn't an NHL caliber personality.. Guess we will see.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
When evaluating these prospect, I feel like a lot of armchair GMS are NOT taking into consideration the PRO mentality.. the NHL personality... that makes their skills translate to the NHL. I am one of these people.

Reactions: 26Mats

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
When evaluating these prospect, I feel like a lot of armchair GMS are NOT taking into consideration the PRO mentality.. the NHL personality... that makes their skills translate to the NHL. I am one of these people.

Kidney is one of the better defensive forwards in the Q on top of being a high IQ offensive player.

Hughes and Gorton will get him on a development plan for the physical side of things and we will see how far he goes.

Reactions: Sagikev and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kidney, at 18 YO, is currently one of the best 18 YOs in the Q offensively....
But he is one of the best players anticipating the play and visioning the ice, plus his stickhandling is one of the best and his IQ is simply top level.
Right now, he is right up there with Hendrix Lapierre as the best forward on his team.

He will be an NHLer and it would be scandalous that the Habs once again miss on such an opportunity.

After seeing highlights, my comparable style wise, is Nick Suzuki

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
I like the top9 comparison skills wise.. but his stature.. Not size.. just spells another timmins high skilled low end forward who isn't an NHL caliber personality.. Guess we will see.
Sorry to tell you that ou stand on the side track on that one....
Please do not get Timmins involved with Kidney's name.....it might simply be that he actually drafted him but Kidney should have been drafted earlier, not later.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Hate to be a Debby Downer but I think this kid has a long road ahead of him in terms of dealing with less time and space and playing against men. Don't dislike him and the numbers he is putting up is something I rather see than not but I think he had a rough development camp and my next level of evaluation is how he looks in the next development camp.

Also, Lets see what he does for the Titans in the Q playoffs where the competition gets higher. That would be of value to me if he stands out

I would have him as a Grade B at this stage and Roy as a Grade B+

Reactions: John B

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've just seen too many Ben Maxwells come and go to pencil Kidney in as an NHLer yet. We'll see what the next few years holds...

Agreed. Could be another Hudon or Maxwell or he could prove us wrong. Lets see what he does in the Q playoffs when the competition is tougher. Grade B prospect according to my standards today.

I think he has a long way to go with development and once he turns pro, he's got to deal with men and less time and space. A little easier to do what he is doing in the Q but he's 5'-11's and 168 lbs. If he shines right away when he is in Laval (2 more years), his skill/skating/IQ will be top notch because he won't be able to overcome the obstacles with physical play.

Multiple layers to evaluating his development path. I got a good chance to watch him against the Mooseheads a few games now.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Ben Maxwell probably would have made the NHL if he came up between 2015 instead of ten years prior. The ban on playing dirty defense and the transition before everyone went for speed would have carved a nice little niche for a slow supremely skilled guy like him.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Agreed. Could be another Hudon or Maxwell or he could prove us wrong. Lets see what he does in the Q playoffs when the competition is tougher. Grade B prospect according to my standards today.

I think he has a long way to go with development and once he turns pro, he's got to deal with men and less time and space. A little easier to do what he is doing in the Q but he's 5'-11's and 168 lbs. If he shines right away when he is in Laval (2 more years), his skill/skating/IQ will be top notch because he won't be able to overcome the obstacles with physical play.

Multiple layers to evaluating his development path. I got a good chance to watch him against the Mooseheads a few games now.
Well last year at 17 in the Q playoffs, he actually was:
9 2 15 17 +5

When "the competition" was tougher.
Actually he rises above the crowd in the big occasions....
And don't expect him 2 years in Laval.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Hate to be a Debby Downer but I think this kid has a long road ahead of him in terms of dealing with less time and space and playing against men. Don't dislike him and the numbers he is putting up is something I rather see than not but I think he had a rough development camp and my next level of evaluation is how he looks in the next development camp.

Also, Lets see what he does for the Titans in the Q playoffs where the competition gets higher. That would be of value to me if he stands out

I would have him as a Grade B at this stage and Roy as a Grade B+

I literally saw an identical post in the Roy thread. You don’t hate to be a Debby Downer, it’s the point of your post.

Saying they need to adjust to the NHL is so obvious, it’s like a way to poo poo the prospects disguised as a non-statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagikev

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
It's hard for me to get hyped for this kid due to him getting manhandled at camp. He's putting up good numbers, though. He needs to bulk up some. Next camp will be interesting.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Haven't watched a single Bathurst game this season. How do Kidney and Lapierre compare, being on the same team, same position?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad