Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's really slow. Training can probably improve that, but with his current speed he won't make the NHL.
Do we have an update on what improvements he’s made to his skating? Also, what’s his current playing weight?

Reactions: jaffy27

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Do we have an update on what improvements he’s made to his skating? Also, what’s his current playing weight?
With the new management’s prioritizing speed, hopefully the days (decades) of drafting players who have acknowledged skating limitations is finally over. Let some other team draft these players with the hope that they are able to improve this critical facet of the game. I’ve said it before: the regressive approach of drafting players with limited skating abilities is akin to drafting water polo players who have limitations in swimming abilities. If it is foolhardy to do the latter, why in heaven is it not similarly foolhardy to do the former?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
With the new management’s prioritizing speed, hopefully the days (decades) of drafting players who have acknowledged skating limitations is finally over. Let some other team draft these players with the hope that they are able to improve this critical facet of the game. I’ve said it before: the regressive approach of drafting players with limited skating abilities is akin to drafting water polo players who have limitations in swimming abilities. If it is foolhardy to do the latter, why in heaven is it not similarly foolhardy to do the former?
I guess no Suzuki and no Joshua Roy then.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
He looks a bit faster than last year. He still need to add mass thought. He's still a twig.

He's a copycat of Suzuki, just with like 30 lbs missing (same height). He probably needs a few more summers of gym and power skating lessons like Suzuki did.

Reactions: bopeep and montreal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That’s how Mike Bossy slipped in his draft year. :sarcasm:

But, that was a different era. Imagine how slow Bossy must have been as play in his day was much slower than now.

Prioritize elite skating but in later rounds, there may be average skaters with high hockey IQs — those are definitely worth pursuing.

Reactions: yianik and tazsub3

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Outside the top picks everyone is going to have some sort of limitation. So which limitation becomes acceptable, hockey IQ, puck skills, shooting, vision?

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Outside the top picks everyone is going to have some sort of limitation. So which limitation becomes acceptable, hockey IQ, puck skills, shooting, vision?
for me, if a player has big physical deficiencies (skating, shot) , the only thing that might rescue them is elite hockey iq

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I guess no Suzuki and no Joshua Roy then.
No Stanley Cups in 30 years. I suggest we fundamentally change our drafting philosophy. I’m confident the new management team will do what is necessary to adopt a course of action that will see us being competitive sooner than another 30 year period.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
No Stanley Cups in 30 years. I suggest we fundamentally change our drafting philosophy. I’m confident the new management team will do what is necessary to adopt a course of action that will see us being competitive sooner than another 30 year period.

Yet Tampa drafts a bad skater in Brayden Point and he becomes a big part of their back to back stanley cups win.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Yet Tampa drafts a bad skater in Brayden Point and he becomes a big part of their back to back stanley cups win.
Exactly. There is no crystal ball showing who will make it. It is not all about drafting...player development can make a difference between a good player and a bust.

Reactions: dcyhabs

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Exactly. There is no crystal ball showing who will make it. It is not all about drafting...player development can make a difference between a good player and a bust.
I don’t think its very insightful to build a drafting strategy around drafting fourth round draft choices who one hope’s will overcome their acknowledged skating deficiencies. It means that there is just one more hurdle they have to overcome in reaching the NHL. For every Point there are hundreds of McShanes, Fonstads, Crisps, Hudons, who enter the draft with questionable skating skills. That’s why they are 4th, 5th and lower draft choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: TesseractPrice

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
skating is one of the most improvable skills in terms of prospect development. Evans, Pezetta, Suzuki would never have played in the NHL without that development

Reactions: Habs Halifax

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He can certainly mprove his skating ability, if he do that... I think we have a pretty solid prospect with top 6 potential. Right now, I see him to become a pretty good 3C in NHL... but he got offensive talent to become more if he improve his skating ability.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I don’t think its very insightful to build a drafting strategy around drafting fourth round draft choices who one hope’s will overcome their acknowledged skating deficiencies. It means that there is just one more hurdle they have to overcome in reaching the NHL. For every Point there are hundreds of McShanes, Fonstads, Crisps, Hudons, who enter the draft with questionable skating skills. That’s why they are 4th, 5th and lower draft choices.
I meant developing our 1st and 2nd round pick!

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This is veering off topic, but any drafting strategy that is only concerned about top picks is going to fail at building a contender. You need to find ways for those non-1st round picks to develop into NHL players.

Now I think there's probably a case to be made that what you look for in a player changes based on where they are ranked. So I could probably get behind something like don't use 1st round picks on poor skaters, but in the later rounds that rule no longer applies.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Could Kidney become the next Nick Suzuki?

They have a lot of similar traits.
Both 5'11, high iq, great passer, great vision, creative, playoff performer, and on pace for the same number of points in their d+1 year.
Suzuki improved his skating and got stronger, so just need Kidney to do the same.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've seen him get away a bit more with his speed this year. There's a lot more work to be done but there's been some improvement.

I like that we have Kidney in our system and his age 18 season is very nice to see. And I do expect him to mature but I see him on a long road. Personally, I would consider trading him for other areas of need cause it's sell high point. Once he turns pro after next season, his value might take a nose dive like Poehling and so many others.

Am I wrong on Kidney? Maybe but I see a undersized center who needs to add a lot of muscle and have better skating. That's a big task in future development. Players do prove you wrong at times but it's more the exception to the rule than the rule.

Call me crazy but I would flip Kidney for Kravtsov if the Rangers were open to it.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like that we have Kidney in our system and his age 18 season is very nice to see. And I do expect him to mature but I see him on a long road. Personally, I would consider trading him for other areas of need cause it's sell high point. Once he turns pro after next season, his value might take a nose dive like Poehling and so many others.

Am I wrong on Kidney? Maybe but I see a undersized center who needs to add a lot of muscle and have better skating. That's a big task in future development. Players do prove you wrong at times but it's more the exception to the rule than the rule.

Call me crazy but I would flip Kidney for Kravtsov if the Rangers were open to it.
Center is the biggest need we have. Why would we go for Kravtsov which is probably our area of strength?

Kidney is the best center in the Q right now. With 0 physical maturity and average skating. He's doing what he's doing on talent and IQ alone.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Center is the biggest need we have. Why would we go for Kravtsov which is probably our area of strength?

Kidney is the best center in the Q right now. With 0 physical maturity and average skating. He's doing what he's doing on talent and IQ alone.

I like the offensive skill and goal scoring power Kravtsov has. I'm a little higher on him than most.

I do get the concerns of trading Kidney but I think he will have difficulty after turning pro. Needs to improve both skating and added muscle if he wants to compete with men. No question he is one of the best centers in the Q right now yes.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like the offensive skill and goal scoring power Kravtsov has. I'm a little higher on him than most.

I do get the concerns of trading Kidney but I think he will have difficulty after turning pro. Needs to improve both skating and added muscle if he wants to compete with men. No question he is one of the best centers in the Q right now yes.

Yeah well he's 18, who cares about all of that right now? We're in a rebuild. If it takes Kidney longer to get here, it effects nothing.

On the flip-side, you're witnessing dominance without physical ability. A lot of busts are because they're physically dominant and they can't translate their skills when they don't have a physical advantage. Kidney already knows how to be productive without those gifts, now imagine if he gets them because the look of the kid, he's probably late to puberty.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Bookmark it. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong on Kidney. For all we know both Kidney and Kravtsov are meh players in the NHL.

I don't think there's any reason to bookmark any of it. He's a late 2nd round prospect with a great D+1 year.

Josh Brook looked simultaneously really good and his career went off the rails due to injuries.

Banking against prospects will work out almost every time because just not that many make it and even fewer establish themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad