Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
But the play in the Q. Old myth. I just called out a poster on another thread who said the Q is a very weak league. Don't think Crosby, McKinnon and many others would concur. Go Roy...Go Kidney!
It doesn't make it any less of a weak league. Overall it hits below its weight in players in the NHL. Of course it will produce the odd elite player, every place does. Finland hits above its weight in players in the NHL by the way.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
“I can tell you one thing right now: The Montreal Canadiens fan base is going to love Riley Kidney“ - Titan d'Acadie-Bathurst head coach Jason Clarke.

Montreal Hockey Now with the latest on how #gohabsgo prospect Riley Kidney has progressed this season in the QMJHL.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
So purely out of my own curiosity....when was the last time any team had two 100 point prospects in the qmjhl in the same year? Roy and Kidney (if he continues at this pace) seem to be the cream of the crop in that league right now.

Reactions: WinterLion

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
So purely out of my own curiosity....when was the last time any team had two 100 point prospects in the qmjhl in the same year? Roy and Kidney (if he continues at this pace) seem to be the cream of the crop in that league right now.
99-00 I believe, Ryder, Chouinard and Thinel. Elite Prospects - QMJHL Stats 1999-2000 . We had three the season before that as well ( Ribeiro, Chouinard,Thinel) . People tend to forget about Thinel, understandably so :laugh:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

What's most impressive is how young they both are...

Reactions: bopeep

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
99-00 I believe, Ryder, Chouinard and Thinel. Elite Prospects - QMJHL Stats 1999-2000 . We had three the season before that as well ( Ribeiro, Chouinard,Thinel) . People tend to forget about Thinel, understandably so :laugh:
Thanks for that, I probably could have done some digging and found it but figured someone here would figure it out for me 🤣
What's most impressive is how young they both are...
It really is, an 18 and 19 year old are dominating the qmjhl. My only worry is that one or both dont make the big club next year and get stuck there for another year, potentially meaning stagnation.

Reactions: Nicko999

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Thanks for that, I probably could have done some digging and found it but figured someone here would figure it out for me 🤣

It really is, an 18 and 19 year old are dominating the qmjhl. My only worry is that one or both dont make the big club next year and get stuck there for another year, potentially meaning stagnation.

Yeah agreed about the stagnation... they both have things to work on, but maybe they would be better served in another league. On the other hand they will play big roles on their teams, play lots of games and hopefully get a chance to play for Canada at the U20's.

Reactions: bopeep

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Even hockey IQ is too broad of a term for me.

Some players are really smart in specific situations, but not really in others.

Some players know how to manage the game, but suck positionally. Would you say they're "High IQ" players?

Some players are really good positionally in the O zone, but defensively only cheat. (Mike Hoffman) Is he a high IQ player?

Mike Ribeiro was one of those guys. Really sneaky and smart from the offensive side of things at least.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Yeah agreed about the stagnation... they both have things to work on, but maybe they would be better served in another league. On the other hand they will play big roles on their teams, play lots of games and hopefully get a chance to play for Canada at the U20's.

They will both go back and both will get a chance to work on aspects of their game they had not polished yet.

A lot of high end prospects dominate their junior league one year and still get sent back. It's good for their development when they use the time to find other ways to contribute to their team (other than getting on the scoreboard, which everybody knows they can do).

It makes them better in the long run. Roy and Kidney are not even that high profile. They definitely have areas they need to improve. Might as well do it at a pace that suits them.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27 and dcyhabs

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
You cannot compare points total with players that played more than 20 years ago. Nobody gets beyond 120 points these days. As for stagnation pointwise in juniors, what about Nick Suzuki? 96, 100 and 94 from 17 to 19 years old seasons. Again, there is no problems sending both Kidney and Roy to the juniors next years. Kidney is four and a half months older than Roy, but looks younger, he looks 16.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
“I can tell you one thing right now: The Montreal Canadiens fan base is going to love Riley Kidney“ - Titan d'Acadie-Bathurst head coach Jason Clarke.

Montreal Hockey Now with the latest on how #gohabsgo prospect Riley Kidney has progressed this season in the QMJHL.

This is nice to hear. But all coaches talk up their players, at least for the most part.

I remember hearing such great things about Morgan Ellis - but also recently about Nick Suzuki and Jordan Harris.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You cannot compare points total with players that played more than 20 years ago. Nobody gets beyond 120 points these days. As for stagnation pointwise in juniors, what about Nick Suzuki? 96, 100 and 94 from 17 to 19 years old seasons. Again, there is no problems sending both Kidney and Roy to the juniors next years. Kidney is four and a half months older than Roy, but looks younger, he looks 16.

There are still guys who do get 120+ points (Garland, Mantha, Gourde, Riendeau), but yes there are less 100+ points players per year than in the 90s.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Garland, who is 5'08, is the only one who did it at 18, playing with Ivan Barbashev. The others did it at 19 or 20. So to get 120 points at a very young 18, is exceptionnal in the case of Roy. For Kidney, he won't reach 120 points, but he really looks far from his physical maturity. Imagine an 18 years old Jake Evans, but better, probably much better.

There are still guys who do get 120+ points (Garland, Mantha, Gourde, Riendeau), but yes there are less 100+ points players per year than in the 90s.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Garland, who is 5'08, is the only one who did it at 18, playing with Ivan Barbashev. The others did it at 19 or 20. So to get 120 points at a very young 18, is exceptionnal in the case of Roy. For Kidney, he won't reach 120 points, but he really looks far from his physical maturity. Imagine an 18 years old Jake Evans, but better, probably much better.

Kidney doesn’t skate like Evans though

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Goalpost moving, but whatever.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kidney doesn’t skate like Evans though
Weren't there concerns about Evans' skating for a long time. Some players, like Evans and Point, are able to improve their skating. Some aren't, like Schremp and Locke.

So we'll have to wait and see what happens with Kidney - and Roy.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
You are right. Evans was considered below average skater when he graduated to Laval at 22, so imagine what he was at 18.

Weren't there concerns about Evans' skating for a long time. Some players, like Evans and Point, are able to improve their skating. Some aren't, like Schremp and Locke.

So we'll have to wait and see what happens with Kidney - and Roy.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I am not moving anything. My point from the beginning is that 100-120 points at 18 is great production. 120 points for Roy not turning 19 until August is exceptionnal. It does not garantee he will be a star in the NHL, but the kid is now considered a top prospect and I think Kidney is not far behind because he is so immature physically and already good. The key with him will be the maturation into a man. He is still a kid with a young teenager face.
Goalpost moving, but whatever.

Reactions: jaffy27

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This is nice to hear. But all coaches talk up their players, at least for the most part.

I remember hearing such great things about Morgan Ellis - but also recently about Nick Suzuki and Jordan Harris.
Clarke has never been anywhere near the NHL as a player or coach so his opinion of how Kidney will develop as a future NHLer doesn't come with much credibility. This is not to say that he is wrong but his opinion is likely just noise. If a former NHLer was coaching him then I would assign more merit to such comments.

It sounds like he is saying this more to boost Kidney and his teammates confidence and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I am not moving anything. My point from the beginning is that 100-120 points at 18 is great production. 120 points for Roy not turning 19 until August is exceptionnal. It does not garantee he will be a star in the NHL, but the kid is now considered a top prospect and I think Kidney is not far behind because he is so immature physically and already good. The key with him will be the maturation into a man. He is still a kid with a young teenager face.

Maybe HuGo should hire a face trainer........I think "Face" should be added as a vital scouting category somewhere between skating and shooting.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I remember similar posts about Suzuki at 19.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I remember similar posts about Suzuki at 19.

This.

It'd be foolish to assume Kidney is a lock to become a legit top 6 NHL player... but just as foolish to assume he won't.

His progress this year only points towards a positive outcome. Can he build on it & make similar progress each year, as Suzuki has, taking an nhl spot sooner than anticipated? Few young players do, but it's certainly possible.

For now, it's fun to enjoy the progress & increasing odds that we found a gem of a 2nd round pick.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This.

It'd be foolish to assume Kidney is a lock to become a legit top 6 NHL player... but just as foolish to assume he won't.

His progress this year only points towards a positive outcome. Can he build on it & make similar progress each year, as Suzuki has, taking an nhl spot sooner than anticipated? Few young players do, but it's certainly possible.

For now, it's fun to enjoy the progress & increasing odds that we found a gem of a 2nd round pick.
I am glad Kidney be on same team as Suzuki. Someday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad