Value of: Rielly for another D 1-for-1 swap?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Different management regimes, different plans.

The current one started near the end of 2014 when Shanahan was brought on board to run things.

He knows exactly what the situation is/was, that was just a failed post intended to take a shot at the fanbase

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Just because we like you and want to help you out, Habs will do...
Emelin for Rielly
And if you want, I might get in trouble for doing this, but helping out another Canadian team so heck with the fall out, I'll even throw in our 3rd line C.
Now that's a 2 for 1 limited time offer.
You won't find this just anywhere.
Emelin+DD for Rielly.
Man, I must b crazy doing this, but I'm gonna do it just the same.
We will even pay shipping and handling, for both packages, to and from, and will cover taxes.
That's right. You pay nothing now, and dont have to worry about those nasty freight charges.
And if you act within the next 72 hours, we will even pick up and deliver, personally, to your door, so you have no fear of damage, at no cost to you.
THAT'S RIGHT, NO COST TO YOU!
Wow. This is crazy.
Act now.
Operators are standing by to take your call

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Id do that assuming he re-signs long term.

I think you really over-rate the "hard nosed" dmen.. You were advocating picking up Mcilrath more than anybody on the leafs board yet he clears waivers because no team wanted him. Trouba is not as good as Rielly. This "rough patch" he's had for the past 6? games, won't last for long, Infact he looked pretty solid last night.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The main Toronto problem is forwards don't help a lot. Check all their bad defense goals, and you'll see, a lot of them aren't just on defensemen. There are only 2 defensemen on the ice, they can't do a flying **** vs 5 opponents, if forwards don't help them.

Young Toronto guns are terrible in their own end and veterans aren't much better. Mathews and Nylander need someone, who'll play the same role to them as Anisimov to Kane and Panarin. Bozak, JVR and Marner don't know, WTF defense is, and other lines aren't great defensively as well, just much worse offensively.

Last edited:

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
What would Toronto need to add to Gardiner in order to land Trouba? I imagine Jets are going to trade him next month, unless they want to set an example. Toronto is close to Buffalo, so his gf could go to med school there. Not sure which LHD Jets expect to land.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I am completely sick of our fanbase. Just because Rielly is struggling this season does not mean you move him for an unsigned RFA who doesn't want to play with a Canadian team. It doesn't mean you move him at all.

It's safe to say almost all young defensemen go through growing pains when they're young and Rielly is only 22. Let him clear his head out and regain his composure. Eventually he'll get back to how he was playing last season.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
You don't improve your D by trading your best D man.

You aren't going to land a Doughty or a Seabrook..

Why put yourself in the best case scenario of making a lateral move? That's not how you improve your team. That's how you take unnecessary risks.

No dice on this one. Reilly stays, and find other assets to trade to strengthen D.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What was in the opening statement: Trade Reilly to shake things up.

Just to let the writer know, good organizations to not make trades to shake things up. They make trades to improve their team.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Hungover offer.

Trouba + Morrissey

Rielly + Leipsic + Leivo

:sarcasm:

i'd be pretty devastated if this happened. Rielly is much better than Trouba, is signed to a great deal, and hasnt asked to be traded before he turned 21. Also I think Leipsic is gonna be a Gallagher-lite on line 3 for the leafs as early as the trade deadline

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Don't worry, officially it started early 2015, so we're not that far off from year 3 starting.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-shanahan-scorch-earth-three-five-years-pain/

But maybe you mistake the "Hey lets trade all our picks for aging veterans and barely miss the playoffs over and over" as a rebuild

he is probably one of the "havent the leafs been rebuilding since 1967?" crowd.

in all seriousness, they made the playoffs in 2013, and added vets thats summer hoping to repeat. the leafs are beginning year 3 of the rebuild

Mad Brills*

Trouba's the only available dman that this makes sense with.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What would Toronto need to add to Gardiner in order to land Trouba? I imagine Jets are going to trade him next month, unless they want to set an example. Toronto is close to Buffalo, so his gf could go to med school there. Not sure which LHD Jets expect to land.

Dreger pretty much came out the other night and said that it would've to be a Rielly for Trouba deal. Gardiner+ for Trouba wont cut it it sounds like Chevy isn't high on Gardiner period. And Dreger pretty much heard from a couple of GM's that Trouba isn't a fit for any Canadian team outside of Winnipeg.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
According to Dreger it would take Rielly to get Trouba, But seeing that Canada isn't a fit for Trouba then i guess it wont happen.

the jets, in a terrible situation and having no leverage, are looking to parlay trouba into a better player with a sweetheart contract?

good luck with that

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Trouba's the only available dman that this makes sense with.

and even then the jets would need to add a significant asset.
can't see a guy who doesnt wanna play the left side, and doesnt wanna play in Canada, working out well on a Mike Babcock coached team

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
the jets, in a terrible situation and having no leverage, are looking to parlay trouba into a better player with a sweetheart contract?

good luck with that

Yeah i know it wont happen, Just supposedly the asking price from him according to what Dreger said and i think that Craig Button pretty much said the exact same thing that Chevy would want Rielly for Trouba. Rielly definitely fits what Chevy is seeking all the more reason why i doubt a Trouba to Toronto deal will ever materialize.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad