Value of: Rielly for another D 1-for-1 swap?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
As far as this actual thread, it's moronic. OP has some pretty ridiculous opinions. It's like he makes his decisions on the last 12 hours or something like there's no recollection of anything beyond that.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
As far as this actual thread, it's moronic. OP has some pretty ridiculous opinions. It's like he makes his decisions on the last 12 hours or something like there's no recollection of anything beyond that.

Unfortunately a large portion of our fan base operates in that very same fashion.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Think this can be shut down. On page 2 already and only 2 names have been mentioned

Trouba: we all know how well that will go..

Doughty:....yeah not ever.

Not to mention, OP seems to be flying in his own little magical boat.....which is slowly drifting out to sea.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The solution to our problem is we need to add a defense, maybe 2 or 3 even.

Rielly-?
Gardiner-Zaitsev
?-Carrick

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
The solution to our problem is we need to add a defense, maybe 2 or 3 even.

Rielly-?
Gardiner-Zaitsev
?-Carrick

Even if you did add another top pair defenseman, that is one weak defense (espescially when looking at the actual defense side of things). Gardiner is a trainwreck in his own zone, Zaitsev is fine abeit shaky on defense (he is a rookie though) and Rielly is not a #1 (and barely a top pairing D at this point) 5 years post draft. I think picking Marner over Hanifin will haunt them, even if Marner is looking amazing.

They need some serious help back there and I am not sure it will be found in the system. I think what they need is a young, defensively sound, high upside d-men like Trouba, Lindholm, etc. Look at how much getting Larsson helped Edmonton, thats the kind of guy the Leafs need.

Last edited:

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I'm not sure that another D in place of Rielly would make a difference.

Rielly is a good fit in age and matches the offensive talent that will likely influence the Leafs' style for the forseeable future.

If you're looking for a one-for-one, I don't imagine you'll benefit the Leafs a great deal. You'll get an equivalent, more or less, and rebuilding teams need a steady hand, not shakeups.

As for the O.P., It would have to be a young D ...25 or younger, accepting that D peaks later than other positions.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His is a bad idea - you don't move a player like Rielly at not even hitting the 10 game mark just to "shake things up"....

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Even if you did add another top pair defenseman, that is one weak defense (espescially when looking at the actual defense side of things). Gardiner is a trainwreck in his own zone, Zaitsev is fine abeit shaky on defense (he is a rookie though) and Rielly is not a #1 (and barely a top pairing D at this point) 5 years post draft. I think picking Marner over Hanifin will haunt them, even if Marner is looking amazing.

They need some serious help back there and I am not sure it will be found in the system. I think what they need is a young, defensively sound, high upside d-men like Trouba, Lindholm, etc. Look at how much getting Larsson helped Edmonton, thats the kind of guy the Leafs need.

Rielly needs someone like a Lindholm or Trouba to hlep him, then he'd be fine.

Gardiner is also fine in 2nd pairing, ditto Zaitsev.

Carrick is not in a position to succeed in top 4...need to re-slot people better. Also goaltending getting off to a slow start magnifies things.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This thread reminds me of the Russ Courtnall-John Kordic trade. Asinine, but it shook things up for quite a long time.

That ***** was pulled 9 games into the 1989 season. Epic.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Rielly needs someone like a Lindholm or Trouba to hlep him, then he'd be fine.

Gardiner is also fine in 2nd pairing, ditto Zaitsev.

Carrick is not in a position to succeed in top 4...need to re-slot people better. Also goaltending getting off to a slow start magnifies things.

Agreed. You add in a guy like Trouba to the mix somehow and everybody slots in accordingly. It takes the burden off Rielly as well. I'd be very happy with Rielly, Trouba, Gardiner, and Zaitsev as our top four going forward. We have guys coming up (Dermott, Nielsen) that look very promising and could easily fill out our bottom pairing with Carrick. As bad as our D looks right now, one top pairing guy added to the mix changes everything because everything shifts accordingly. I know i know, easier said than done though.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Reilly is a stud, no way should you bail on him just to "shake up the D". Besides the players you'd want for him 1-for-1 are also young and on nice deals with their respective teams, everyone stays with their own players.

I'm guessing the guys you'd want are, in no particular order, Lindholm, Ristolainen, Parayko, Jones, Ekblad. None of those guys are moving. If you want to talk about adding a lesser defenseman and a good defensive prospect then I'd give you your pick of Buffalo's blueline not named Risto, but since I'm guessing Bogosian and Nelson gets a dial tone I don't think anyone will have what you want.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'd take Rielly over Trouba. I wouldn't trade Rielly unless it was for a clear upgrade, which wouldn't happen 1 for 1.

I think you mis-read that post. He said you don't trade Rielly unless he (Rielly) pulls a Trouba (aka wanting a massive contract). He wasn't suggesting Trouba for Rielly.

Unless I misread the post, then this entire situation is silly.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think you mis-read that post. He said you don't trade Rielly unless he (Rielly) pulls a Trouba (aka wanting a massive contract). He wasn't suggesting Trouba for Rielly.

Unless I misread the post, then this entire situation is silly.

Ahhh I think I misread that I think. I was thinking he meant unless you can pull a deal for Trouba, that's my bad there.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't think ppl get that defence is a hard position to play and grow into. At least not ppl like the OP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad