Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Agreed.

Greig will be a great winger for puck retrieval. I'd echo the sentiments that he should be on stu's wing permanently - forechecking and getting pucks for him.
Today it didn't look like he and Stu had any chemistry.

Lots of time for that to form but I thought the move made both the G line and the Stu line less effective.

I would love to see him back with Brady and G then figure out the rest. Even between MJ and Tank again.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Other than the hit, I actually didn't think he was as productive on the wing. Not sure if he was getting used to that position, or that he was getting used to Stutzle and Batherson after playing with Tkachuk and Giroux most of the time, or a combination of both.

I still think that Norris is the guy to put on the wing.

Tkachuk-Greig-Giroux
Norris-Stutzle-Batherson
Joseph-Pinto-Tarasenko
Kelly-Chartier-MacEwen

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Other than the hit, I actually didn't think he was as productive on the wing. Not sure if he was getting used to that position, or that he was getting used to Stutzle and Batherson after playing with Tkachuk and Giroux most of the time, or a combination of both.

Tkachuk-Greig-Giroux
Norris-Stutzle-Batherson
Joseph-Pinto-Tarasenko
Kelly-Chartier-MacEwen
I like these lines, but alternatively I wouldn’t mind seeing them reunite Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux and then try Greig - Norris - Batherson now that the team is playing better.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
A commenter on the athletic had a great post about greig's 5v5 numbers and how well they stack up to a few of the guys a bit down the list for calder consideration. Guys like Rossi.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Tkachuk-Greig-Giroux
Norris-Stutzle-Batherson
Joseph-Pinto-Tarasenko
Kelly-Chartier-MacEwen
Tkachuk-Greig-Giroux
Joseph-Stutzle-Batherson
Norris-Pinto-Tarasenko
Kelly-Chartier-MacEwen

Until Norris shows a willingness to compete at high level for 3 games in a row. If we don't see an immediate response move him down and move Kelly up.
He is capable he just needs to pick it up. I am not a basher. I am disappointed in what Norris is bringing and he has been given opportunity. Now its time for some tough love to get him playing .

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tkachuk-Greig-Giroux
Joseph-Stutzle-Batherson
Norris-Pinto-Tarasenko
Kelly-Chartier-MacEwen

Until Norris shows a willingness to compete at high level for 3 games in a row. If we don't see an immediate response move him down and move Kelly up.
He is capable he just needs to pick it up. I am not a basher. I am disappointed in what Norris is bringing and he has been given opportunity. Now its time for some tough love to get him playing .
Did you mean to say move Greig up? Moving Kelly up would certainly send a message to Norris...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Did you mean to say move Greig up? Moving Kelly up would certainly send a message to Norris...
No . As per the lineup I posted. I leave Greig centering the GGT line and I move Norris down with Pinto. If he doesn't get the message and start competing at the level of his teammates I would move him down and move Kelly up. Not saying a permanent move but to send him a serious message that his play is not at the level expected.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No . As per the lineup I posted. I leave Greig centering the GGT line and I move Norris down with Pinto. If he doesn't get the message and start competing at the level of his teammates I would move him down and move Kelly up. Not saying a permanent move but to send him a serious message that his play is not at the level expected.
Ok, I don't think we'll see Norris on the 4th line, that may be a bridge too far, LA tried it with PLD who imo was playing worse than Norris is, and it hasn't had the desired effect. It's possible he's playing through something undisclosed (perhaps whatever kept him out of a few games is still lingering).

He definitely doesn't look right, and it's not all compete level, he's having trouble handling passes in a way that he hasn't in the past.

Reactions: OD99 and DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ok, I don't think we'll see Norris on the 4th line, that may be a bridge too far, LA tried it with PLD who imo was playing worse than Norris is, and it hasn't had the desired effect. It's possible he's playing through something undisclosed (perhaps whatever kept him out of a few games is still lingering).

He definitely doesn't look right, and it's not all compete level, he's having trouble handling passes in a way that he hasn't in the past.
I don't expect to see that. If its a health thing that I am unaware of for sure its a major consideration. I am saying the above with the assumption that he is healthy and there is nothing impeding him.

If he is healthy and he is demoted from C to W on the 3rd line .. for the betterment of team performance and specifically the performance of the top 2 lines, and he doesn't respond with the sole intent of getting him going what do you do? We have seen Norris compete at a high level. We are not seeing that now.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

I think it’s just his confidence honestly.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Thank Alfie that DebrinPussyCat didn't want to sign here, Grieg is already providing more impact and is projected to be a very good all around top-6 player. This teams needs money to extend Pinto, Greig, and perhaps even Chychrun (although cap is an issue, would be interesting to see how it plays out).

Keep it up Riddler!

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

I've definitely seen him wince a few times in pain after plays. A few games ago we scored a goal and while everyone skated to the goal scorer (can't remember who) Norris briefly stayed down on the ice in front of the net in obvious discomfort.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Can you post some quotes about this?
Cant copy and pate directly from the app but the gist was a comparison between greig and two guys listed on the top 10 list for the athletic's calder watch list.

Those guys were Rossi and Zary, both tied for 4th on the article rankings.

The poster pointed out that greig's 5v5 points per 60 numbers are basically identical to those two guys, while greig gets fewer OZ% starts.

Greig also gets substantially less pp time, but contributes more in general away from the puck.

Props to Adam S. For the post.

Reactions: bert and Xspyrit

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Tkachuk-Greig-Giroux
Joseph-Stutzle-Batherson
Norris-Pinto-Tarasenko
Kelly-Chartier-MacEwen

JM obviously sees Norris as an issue right now too. In the post game, he said something along the lines of this going into the third period. He didn't mention Norris but his spot in the lineup changed.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Norris was first out in OT though. Seemed like a bit of an odd choice, especially with the way Stutzle was playing last night.
Got to win the draw, possession is everything in OT, though Norris hasn't been as good lately at the draw.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
JM obviously sees Norris as an issue right now too. In the post game, he said something along the lines of this going into the third period. He didn't mention Norris but his spot in the lineup changed.
Yeah, in the third I seem to recall Pinto playing with Norris' usual linemates instead.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Norris was first out in OT though. Seemed like a bit of an odd choice, especially with the way Stutzle was playing last night.
I thought he was just rewarding the people that contributed to the tying goal since Tarasenko scored and Chabot/Norris got the assists.

Reactions: Dionysus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Greig was actually the player that was demoted last night. He's a much better player at center. Was dissapointing to see. I thought Norris and Tkachuk were awful last night.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Greig was actually the player that was demoted last night. He's a much better player at center. Was dissapointing to see. I thought Norris and Tkachuk were awful last night.
Yeah Norris was shit yesterday. Errors everywhere. No idea why they put him on the ice in overtime.

Reactions: bert and gab6511

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
No word on Greig's lack of playing time?

Nobody asked if he was injured or of he was sat? I hope he is put right back out there today if not injured. Kid needs to know he can make mistakes while trying to make plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad