Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Actually, not a bad thing for Greig to not be playing in this mess and gets infected by toxic hockey. He's one of the smartest prospects we've had since Mark Stone, don't want him to be contaminated

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021

TSN 1200

@TSN1200

Sens lines from their Tuesday morning practice.

Tkachuk-Stützle- Giroux
Joseph-Greig- Tarasenko
Kubalik-Norris- Batherson
Kelly-Chartier- MacEwen Highmore

Sanderson Zub
Chychrun JBD
Brannstrom Hamonic
Chabot

I believe 21, 71, & 91 played together already, and looked good.

Reactions: DrEasy

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
TSN 1200
@TSN1200

Sens lines from their Tuesday morning practice.

Tkachuk-Stützle- Giroux
Joseph-Greig- Tarasenko
Kubalik-Norris- Batherson
Kelly-Chartier- MacEwen Highmore

Sanderson Zub
Chychrun JBD
Brannstrom Hamonic
Chabot

I believe 21, 71, & 91 played together already, and looked good.

Finally! Very excited, Greig was the cog in that line.

Joseph is fine wherever you put him, looked great with The Riddler and Tank.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Who moves to the wing when Pinto returns? Greig, Pinto or Norris?

Initially? Like the first 2-3 Games? or When Pinto is up and running in game shape? I think he'll need a few games.

I don't see them trying Norris on the wing early on in Pinto's return.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Pinto and Greig can alternate center duties imo and do faceoffs on each other’s strong side. Good problem to have

Reactions: senswon

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would put Greig on the fourth line. Smeljak- Greig- Crookshank would be hell of a fourth line

That's insulting to Ridly Greig. I understand people like Smejkal and Crookshank but it's not even guarantied they stick in the NHL as 4th liners. Greig is the 6th or 7th best Sens forward and impacts the game both ways like Joseph does. What a waste it would be to have him on the 4th line.

Don't worry, someone will get injured to solve the problem. In the exceptional situation where this doesn't happen, I think Greig moves to wing.

Tkachuk - Norris - Giroux
Joseph - Stutzle - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Tarasenko
Crookshank - Chartier - Kastelic

Greig and Pinto can share center responsibilities, adds a dimension to that line, can make it even harder for the opposition. Tarasenko goes full offense while the other 2 play 2-way

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Who moves to the wing when Pinto returns? Greig, Pinto or Norris?
Norris is a C, through and through, he isn't going to wing.

I would think Pinto goes to W initially but if he and Greig play together I could see them switching for strong side draws.

Greig deserves the role, IMO. He is quicker, a better playmaker, and I like his defensive zone reads. Pinto has the size and a better one-timer but I believe Greig is a better overall player.

That's not to diminish Pinto, I have just really liked Greig for a while.

Reactions: Cosmix

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
That's insulting to Ridly Greig. I understand people like Smejkal and Crookshank but it's not even guarantied they stick in the NHL as 4th liners. Greig is the 6th or 7th best Sens forward and impacts the game both ways like Joseph does. What a waste it would be to have him on the 4th line.

Tkachuk - Norris - Giroux
Joseph - Stutzle - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Tarasenko
Crookshank - Chartier - Kastelic

Greig and Pinto can share center responsibilities, adds a dimension to that line, can make it even harder for the opposition. Tarasenko goes full offense while the other 2 play 2-way
Do you see the fourth line you propose. I prefer 4 lines that you can split the ice time

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Norris is a C, through and through, he isn't going to wing.

I would think Pinto goes to W initially but if he and Greig play together I could see them switching for strong side draws.

Greig deserves the role, IMO. He is quicker, a better playmaker, and I like his defensive zone reads. Pinto has the size and a better one-timer but I believe Greig is a better overall player.

That's not to diminish Pinto, I have just really liked Greig for a while.

No way. Pinto stays at C, he's a better C than Greig. Better defensively responsible. Greig always projected to be LW more than C.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Let's say no special teams during the game :

All first 3 lines could play 17 minutes, the 4th line would then have 9 mins.

The 3 Top-9 lines need ice-time to produce
I understand with no special teams. But I never see a game with out a penalty. Greig at 11 minutes to finish the year. Not that bad and probably injury would happen to someone

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I understand with no special teams. But I never see a game with out a penalty. Greig at 11 minutes to finish the year. Not that bad and probably injury would happen to someone

Of course there is special teams but no way Greig is not playing in this team's Top-9, he is easily among the best 9 forwards on this team. I would much rather have him than Kubalik and even Tarasenko

Reactions: Dionysus

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
No way. Pinto stays at C, he's a better C than Greig. Better defensively responsible. Greig always projected to be LW more than C.
Completely disagree.

They may well put Pinto as C due to size but I don't see how you can possibly say Pinto is more defensively responsible.

Projections don't mean jack right now. Greig has been a more effective C than Pinto has ever been for us.

Reactions: scout20

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Completely disagree.

They may well put Pinto as C due to size but I don't see how you can possibly say Pinto is more defensively responsible.

Projections don't mean jack right now. Greig has been a more effective C than Pinto has ever been for us.
Good problem to have as we can try out both and see how it goes. Seemed to work great having multiple C’s on a line. Both have reputations as being strong defensively, so that bodes well on a third line with Joseph perhaps.

Reactions: Cosmix and OD99

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Ridley Greig's impact on the game is such that he has to be in the top 9 and paying in the 15 minute range. It would be a waste to limit his ice time and the role he can play (and thus his contributions) by putting him lower in the lineup.

You gotta think of who he is playing with and how that is going to affect his game. Down the lineup with Crooker / Kastelic / Smejkal / Chartier severely limits the type of all around game he can play. Whereas you give him line mates like Pinto and Tarasenko and he can play to his own strengths like how we have been seeing so far.

On top of this, third line duties with those guys preps him for a potential top 6 role next year. He is a still a developing player and you need to manage that. His antics are not perfectly suited against fourth line players who might decide to actually rough him up. Better that he is getting under the skin of players higher in the opposing team's lineup.

Essentially, he is such a high impact player that he needs to be given significant opportunity to affect the game. Thats' not happening in a fourth line role with lesser linemates (thats not to dis Crookshank, I love his game).

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Completely disagree.

The eye test and advanced metrics both show Pinto is better defensively.

Yeah, we'll see. I'm gonna bookmark this and we'll see at the end of January how it lines up.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, we'll see. I'm gonna bookmark this and we'll see at the end of January how it lines up.
Bookmark away, if it means that much to you.

Advanced stats mean Jack at this point, not nearly enough games to mean anything. I am comfortable seeing a different game than you.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Hmmm I don't know about that...

2022-24 On-Ice ES Pinto vs Greig

CA/60 : 56.85 vs 57.78
SA/60 : 30.95 vs 29.02
GA/60 : 3.26 vs 2.39
xGA/60 : 2.69 vs 2.38

Greig best xGA/60 among Forwards on the team since last season. His advanced stats took a hit since coming back from injury because he was rusty at first and the team has been a discombobulated mess. He also has seen a lot of Kubalik, Crookshank and Kelly recently... not that it can help

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Hmmm I don't know about that...

2022-24 On-Ice ES Pinto vs Greig

CA/60 : 56.85 vs 57.78
SA/60 : 30.95 vs 29.02
GA/60 : 3.26 vs 2.39
xGA/60 : 2.69 vs 2.38

Greig best xGA/60 among Forwards on the team since last season. His advanced stats took a hit since coming back from injury because he was rusty at first and the team has been a discombobulated mess. He also has seen a lot of Kubalik, Crookshank and Kelly recently... not that it can help

Was looking at CF and FF:
ES

But they are close, I'll give you that. In any case, we'll see later next month how the team feels who they trust at C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad