Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Doesn't take much to lose your balance. Especially from an unsuspected cross-check
Sure but this d man doesn't look like he is braced for any contact. I don't believe this is an icing so it is a live puck. Watch the clip:

The d man cuts across the ice to get to the puck in the corner. With his peripheral vision and on ice awareness he should be aware that two Wheat Kings players are coming hard on the forecheck and only one of them has their path to the puck obstructed by a teammate. The forecheckers are flying in and only a few strides away so even if he successfully retrieves the puck it is highly likely that he gets hit. I don't see him preparing himself to get hit at all. If he did then I don't think that crosscheck would have knocked him over if he was bracing himself for a hit.

The only other explanation that comes to mind is that the D man is completely unaware that Greig is on the ice and flying in on the forecheck. He skates to get the puck and notices that while there is a Wheat Kings player coming in on the forecheck along the wing that his teammate is obstructing his path. As he goes to retrieve the puck maybe he takes a slight glance toward the forechecker and notices him curl back and thinks he is about to make a change. He completely relaxes thinking there is no pressure on him and goes to retrieve the puck without bracing for any contact. He would be unaware that Greig is flying in on him and about to hit him and then when Greig crosschecks him he goes flying into the boards because he isn't expecting any contact.

If the puck was live then that would be a poor read by the d man if he was completely unaware that Greig was flying in on him. Greig made a dangerous play with that crosscheck, but even if he didn't if that d man was unaware he was there then he would have left himself vulnerable to get killed by a hit.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I'm all for a hard nosed game but that hit was as bad as it gets and is indefensible. That defender was in a vulnerable position and those cross checks to the back don't have to be hard to throw someone off balance and send them crashing very dangerously. Don Cherry crusaded against that type of hit for years and somehow people on here think it's ok? How about if the defender went in head first and came out nearly paralyzed ala Grant Marshall? 3 games is warranted.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Sure but this d man doesn't look like he is braced for any contact. I don't believe this is an icing so it is a live puck. Watch the clip:

The d man cuts across the ice to get to the puck in the corner. With his peripheral vision and on ice awareness he should be aware that two Wheat Kings players are coming hard on the forecheck and only one of them has their path to the puck obstructed by a teammate. The forecheckers are flying in and only a few strides away so even if he successfully retrieves the puck it is highly likely that he gets hit. I don't see him preparing himself to get hit at all. If he did then I don't think that crosscheck would have knocked him over if he was bracing himself for a hit.

The only other explanation that comes to mind is that the D man is completely unaware that Greig is on the ice and flying in on the forecheck. He skates to get the puck and notices that while there is a Wheat Kings player coming in on the forecheck along the wing that his teammate is obstructing his path. As he goes to retrieve the puck maybe he takes a slight glance toward the forechecker and notices him curl back and thinks he is about to make a change. He completely relaxes thinking there is no pressure on him and goes to retrieve the puck without bracing for any contact. He would be unaware that Greig is flying in on him and about to hit him and then when Greig crosschecks him he goes flying into the boards because he isn't expecting any contact.

If the puck was live then that would be a poor read by the d man if he was completely unaware that Greig was flying in on him. Greig made a dangerous play with that crosscheck, but even if he didn't if that d man was unaware he was there then he would have left himself vulnerable to get killed by a hit.

I think the D- man saw Grieg and tried to adjust his stance before making a play on the puck. Grieg however hit him wayyyy early before he could get set and lost his balance in an awkward place. It was dirty because you could have called interference on that let alone boarding and crosschecking.

This type of stuff can end careers.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I think the D- man saw Grieg and tried to adjust his stance before making a play on the puck. Grieg however hit him wayyyy early before he could get set and lost his balance in an awkward place. It was dirty because you could have called interference on that let alone boarding and crosschecking.

This type of stuff can end careers.
Yeah that seems like a pretty good take on what happened.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Doesn't take much to lose your balance. Especially from an unsuspected cross-check

Talking in the abstract isn't helpful.

Did you watch the play? Does that look like someone who lost their balance?

Either the D was in pain and flinched up, or there was a bit of a sell job. Maybe a bit of both.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
03/12/2021Ridly Greig
Brandon-1-320x225.jpg
BrandonThree games for check from behind major and g.m. and repeat offender at Moose Jaw on March 12
[THEAD] [/THEAD]

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Talking in the abstract isn't helpful.

Did you watch the play? Does that look like someone who lost their balance?

Either the D was in pain and flinched up, or there was a bit of a sell job. Maybe a bit of both.

Not a dive at all, the guy slows up and still has his weight shifted forward, his right heel is actually off the ice. Cross check wasn't egregious but it's a really bad spot on the ice, for the reason's you see in the video. Hate those types of plays.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yeah, thats a really dumb hit. That's like Matt Cooke dirty. Not that many guys who throw hits like that in the NHL anymore.

He's definitely gotta clean that up.

Reactions: operasen

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Reminds me of the Spezza goal where he deked Souray out of his jockstrap.

If they kept skating they could have potentially dived and knocked the puck away.

I there another Spezza on Souray goal? From what I recall they aren't similar at all, what part reminds you of the Spezza goal?

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Great pace for such a young kid. I think if he keeps it up he should definitely get a 9 game look next year and I think he could stick with the team especially if Paul or Stü are moved to centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad